Self-Stabilizing Dynamics for a Quadruped Robot and Extension Toward Running on Rough Terrain
Zu Guang Zhang*, Hiroshi Kimura**,
and Yasuhiro Fukuoka***
*Dept. of Precision Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, the University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
**Graduate School of Information Systems, Univ. of Electro-Communications, 1-5-1 Chofu-ga-oka, Chofu, Tokyo 182-8585, Japan
***Department of Intelligent Systems Engineering, Ibaraki University, 4-12-1 Nakanarusawa-cho, Hitachi-shi, Ibaraki 316-8511, Japan
-  R. J. Full and D. E. Koditschek, “Templates and anchors: neuromechanical hypotheses of legged locomotion on land,” J. of Experimental Biology, Vol.202, pp. 3325-3332, 1999.
-  R. Blickhan, “The spring-mass model for running and hopping,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.22, pp. 1217-1227, 1989.
-  T. A. McMahon and G. C. Cheng, “The mechanics of running: how does stiffness couple with speed?,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.23, pp. 65-78, 1990.
-  A. Seyfarth, H. Geyer, M. Gunther, and R. Blickhan, “A movement criterion for running,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.35, pp. 649-655, 2002.
-  R. Blickhan and R. J. Full, “Similarity in multilegged locomotion: bouncing like a monopode,” J. of Comparative Physiology, A173, pp. 509-517, 1993.
-  M. H. Raibert, “Legged Robots That Balance,” MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1986.
-  M. Ahmadi and M. Buehler, “Stable control of a simulated one-legged running robot with hip and leg compliance,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.13, No.1, pp. 96-104, 1997.
-  A. Altendorfer, D. E. Koditschek, and P. Holmes, “Stability Analysis of Legged Locomotion Models by Symmetry-Factored Return Maps,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.23, No.10-11, pp. 979-999, 2004.
-  S. H. Hyon and T. Emura, “Energy-preserving control of a passive one-legged running robot,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.18, No.4, pp. 357-381, 2004.
-  I. Poulakakis, J. A. Smith, and M. Buehler, “On the Dynamics of Bounding and Extensions Towards the Half-Bound and the Gallop Gaits,” Proc. of Int. Symp. on Adaptive Motion of Animals and Machines, ThA-I-2, 2003.
-  Z. G. Zhang, Y. Fukuoka, and H. Kimura, “Adaptive Running of a Quadrupedal Robot on Irregular Terrain based on Biological Concepts,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2043-2048, 2003.
-  U. Saranli, M. Buehler, and D. E. Koditschek, “RHex: A Simple and Highly Mobile Hexapod Robot,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.20, No.7, pp. 616-631, 2001.
-  J. G. Cham, J. K. Karpick, and M. R. Cutkosky, “Stride Period Adaptation of a Biomimetic Running Hexapod,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.23, No.2, pp. 141-153, 2004.
-  I. Poulakakis, E. Papadopoulos, and M. Buehler, “On the Stable Passive Dynamics of Quadrupedal Running,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1368-1373, 2003.
-  J. G. Cham, S. A. Bailey, J. E. Clark, R. J. Full, and M. R. Cutkosky, “Fast and robust:hexapedal robots via shape deposition manufacturing,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.21, No.10, pp. 869-883, 2002.
-  T. McGeer, “Passive Dynamic Walking,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 62-82, 1990.
-  Y. Sugimoto, K. Osuka, and T. Sugie, “Stabilizing Control of Quasi Passive-Dynamic-Walking for a Legged Robot based on Continuous Delayed Feedback Control,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.23, No.4, pp. 435-442, 2005.
-  F. Asano, Z. W. Luo, and M. Yamakita, “Some Extensions of Passive Walking Formula to Active Biped Robots,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3797-3802, 2004.
-  D. P. Krasny and D. E. Orin, “Generating High-Speed Dynamic Running Gaits in a Quadruped Robot Using an Evolutionary Search,” IEEE Trans. on System, Man, Cybernetics, Part B: Cybernetics, Vol.34, No.4, pp. 1685-1696, 2004.
-  K. Osuka, Y. Sugimoto, and T. Sugie, “Stabilization of Semi-Passive Dynamic Walking based on Delayed Feedback Control,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.22, No.2, pp. 193-199, 2004.
-  Z. G. Zhang, Y. Fukuoka, and H. Kimura, “Adaptive Running of a Quadruped Robot Using Delayed Feedback Control,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3750-3755, 2005.
-  Z. G. Zhang, H. Kimura, and Y. Fukuoka, “Autonomously Generating Efficient Running of a Quadruped Robot Using Delayed Feedback Control,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.20, No.6, pp. 607-629, 2006.
-  Y. Fukuoka, H. Kimura, and A. H. Cohen, “Adaptive Dynamic Walking of a Quadruped Robot on Irregular Terrain based on Biological Concepts,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.22, No.3-4, pp. 187-202, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.