Human and Object Detection in Smoke-Filled Space Using Millimeter-Wave Radar Based Measurement
Yoshimitsu Aoki and Masaki Sakai
Shibaura Institute of Technology, 3-7-5 Toyosu, Koto-ku, Tokyo, Japan
One of the greatest problems in rescue operations during fire disasters is the blocking of firefighters’ view by dense smoke. Assuming that a firefighter’s most important task is to understand the situation within a smoke-filled space. We developed a way to do so, starting by scanning space using millimeter-wave radar combined with a gyrosensor. To detect persons and objects, we constructed a 3D map from signal reflection datasets using 3D image processing. We detail our proposal and report results of measurement experiment in actual smoke-filled areas.
-  Y. Omine, M. Saki, Y. Aoki, and M. Takagi, “Basic examination of a technique to visualize space filled with dense smoke using millimeter-wave radar,” 2004 SPIE.
-  Y. Aragaki, N. Shimomura, and A. Asaoka, “Night Vision Aid using Feature Points from IR Image,” SSII, pp. 131-134, 2005.
-  H. Zhao, X. Shao, K. Katabira, K. Nakamura, and R. Shibasaki, “Joint tracking and classification of moving objects in cross road using single-row laser range scanner,” SSII, pp. 310-316, 2006.
-  M. Kourogi and T. Kurata “Personal Positioning Based on Walking Locomotion Analysis with Self-Contained Sensors and a Wearable Camera,” PRMU2003-260, pp. 25-30, 2004.
-  Y. Tamatsu, “Surrounding Sensing with Vision and Rader,” SSII, pp. 383-386, 2005.
-  http://www.honda.co.jp/ODYSSEY/safety/index.html
-  N. Yamada, Y. Tanaka, and k. Nisikawa, “Radar cross section for Human body in 76 GHz Band,” 2004 EiC.
-  T. Sato, M. Kanbara, N. Yokoya, and H. Takemura, “Dense 3-D Reconstruction of an Outdoor Scene by Hundreds-baseline Stereo using a Hand-held Video Camera,” International Journal of Computer Vision, Vol.47, No.1-3, May, 2002.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.