Tracing Manipulation in Clothes Spreading by Robot Arms
Khairul Salleh, Hiroaki Seki, Yoshitsugu Kamiya,
and Masatoshi Hikizu
Kanazawa University, Kakuma-machi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920-1192, Japan
Edge tracing is important in manipulating deformable objects to reveal their original shape. In this paper, we propose a unique and improved tracing manipulation for towel spreading, an example of a deformable object using two robot arms with sensors-equipped grippers and a CCD camera. Tracing in this paper context involves tracing the towel’s edge. Robot arm movement is based on feedback from sensors and from images from the CCD camera. Our proposed tracing manipulation ensures that both corners grasped by robot are adjacent and not across, enabling the towel to be successfully spread. Experimental results from spreading rectangular towels with different thickness, stiffness, smoothness, and color using our improved tracing manipulation demonstrated that our proposal is also robust.
and Masatoshi Hikizu, “Tracing Manipulation in Clothes Spreading by Robot Arms,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.18, No.5, pp. 564-571, 2006.
-  A. Arslan and I. Turkoglu, “An Edge Tracing Method for Object Recognition,” Proc. of Int. Conf. in Central Europe on Computer Graphics, Visualization and Interactive Digital Media, Vol.3, 1999.
-  S. Hirai, “Deformable Object Manipulation,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.16, No.2, pp. 136-139, 1998.
-  H. Nakagaki, “Insertion Task of a Flexible Beam or a Flexible Wire,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.16, No.2, pp. 159-162, 1998.
-  F. Abegg, D. Henrich, and H. Worn, “Manipulating deformable linear objects –Vision-based recognition of contact state transitions–,” Proc. of the 9th Int. Conf. on Advanced Robotics, 1999.
-  D. J. Balkcom and M. T. Mason, “Introducing robotic origami folding,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3245-3250, 2004.
-  W. Kraus Jr. and B. J. McCarragher, “Case Studies in the Manipulation of Flexible Parts Using a Hybrid Position/Force Approach,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 367-372, 1997.
-  M. Desbrun, P. Schroder, and A. Barr, “Interactive animation of structured deformable objects,” Proc. of the Graphics Interface Conf., pp. 1-8, 1999.
-  K. Hamajima and M. Kakikura, “Planning Strategy for Task of Unfolding Clothes,” Proc. of the 16th Annual Conf. of the Robotics Society of Japan, pp. 389-390, 1998.
-  E. Ono, N. Kita, and S. Sakane, “Unfolding a Folded Using Information of Outline with Vision and Touch Sensor,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.15, No.2, pp. 113-121, 1997.
-  P. W. Smith, N. Nandhakumar, and A. K. Tamadorai, “Vision Based Manipulation of Non Rigid Objects,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. Automat, Vol.4, pp. 3191-3196, 1996.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.