Quasi-Static Analysis of a Novel Crawler-Driven Robot Motion
Guangping Lan* and Shugen Ma**
*Department of Systems Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Ibaraki University, 4-12-1 Nakanarusawa-Cho, Hitachi 316-8511, Japan
**Organization for Promotion of the COE Program, Ritsumeikan University, 1-1-1 Noji Higashi, Kusatsu 525-8577, Japan
-  K. Yoneda, Y. Ota, and S. Hirose, “Development of Hi-Grip Crawler using a Deformation of Powder,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.15, No.8, pp. 92-97, 1997 (in Japanese).
-  H. Brown, J. M. V. Weghe, C. A. Bererton, and P. K. Khosla, “Millibot Train for Enhance Mobility,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol.7, Issue 4, pp. 452-461, December, 2002.
-  T. Takayama and S. Hirose, “Development of Souryu I, II-Connected Crawler Vehicle for Inspection of Narrow and Winding Space,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.15, No.1, pp. 61-69, 2003.
-  K. Osuka and H. Kitajima, “Development of Four-Crawler Multilink Mobile Robot MOIRA for Searching Debris,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.15, No.5, pp. 561-570, 2003.
-  G. Grzegorz, M. G. Hansen, and B. Johann, “The OmniTread Serpentine Robot for Industrial Inspection and Surveillance,” International Journal on Industrial Robots, Special Issue on Mobile Robots, Vol.IR32-2, pp. 139-148, March 18, 2005.
-  IRobot Co., website 2004,
-  L. Matthies, Y. Xiong, R. Hogg, D. Zhu, A. Rankin, B. Kennedy, M. Hebert, R. Maclachlan, C. Won, T. Frost, G.Sukhatme, M. McHenry, and S. Goldberg, “A Portable Autonomous Urban Reconnaissance Robot,” Proc. Int. Conf. on Intelligent Autonomous Systems, IOS Press, Venice, Italy, July 25-27, 2000.
-  C. Kim, S. Yun, K. Park, C. Choi, and S. Kim, “Sensing system design and Torque analysis of a haptic operated climbing robot,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robotics and Systems, Sendai, Japan, Sept., 2004, pp. 1845-1848.
-  J. Martens andW. Newman, “Stabilization of a mobile robot climbing stairs,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, San Diego, CA, USA, 1994, Vol.3, pp. 2501-2507.
-  T. Iwamoto and H. Yamamoto, “Mechanism and Control of Transformable Crawler Vehicle with Active Adaptability to Terrain Variations,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.2, No.3, pp. 24-31, 1984 (in Japanese).
-  S. Hirose, S. Aoki, and J. Miyake, “Design and Control of Quadru-Truck Crawler Vehicle HELIOS-II,” Proc. 8th RoManSy Symp., Cracow, Poland, 1990, pp. 1-10.
-  G. Lan, S. Ma, and K. Inoue, “Development of A Novel Crawler For Irregular Terrain Access,” Proc. IEEE Int. Workshop on Safety, Security and Rescue Robotics, Kobe, Japan, June 6-9, 2005, pp. 42-47.
-  G. Lan and S. Ma, “Step-Climbing Analysis of a Novel Tracked Robot,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics, Hong kong SAR and Macau SAR, China, June 29-July 3, 2005, pp. 544-549.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.