Modeling and Stability Analysis of Dynamic Control Through a Soft Interface
Mizuho Shibata, and Shinichi Hirai
Department of Robotics, Ritsumeikan University, 1-1-1 Noji-Higashi, Kusatsu, Shiga 525-8577, Japan
To analyze the stability of dynamic control through a soft interface -the viscoelastic material between a manipulating finger and a manipulated object- we model dynamic control through the soft interface in continuous-discrete time. We then formulate dynamics using a modified z-transform in continuous-discrete time for feedback and feedforward control. We show that system stability depends on the viscoelasticity of the soft interface for feedback control. The relationship between material viscosity and sampling time in critical stability is not monotonous, a phenomenon we analyze by root locus. We compare stability analysis by the modified z-transform, simulations based on the Runge-Kutta method, and a regular z-transform, demonstrating that the relationship is specific to a continuous-discrete time.
-  M. R. Cutkosky, “Robotic Grasping and Fine Manipulation,” Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1985.
-  M. Mason, and K. Salisbury, “Robot Hands and Mechanics of Manipulation,” MIT Press, 1986.
-  R. Murray, Z. Li, and S. Sastry, “A mathematical introduction to robotic manipulation,” CRC Press, 1999.
-  T. Yoshikawa, and K. Nagai, “Manipulating and Grasping Forces in Multifingered Robot Hands,” IEEE Tras. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.7-1, pp. 67-77, 1991.
-  A. Namiki, and M. Ishikawa, “Optimal grasping using visual and tactile feedback,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Multisensor Fusion and Intelligent Systems, pp. 584-596, 1996.
-  Y. Maeda, and T. Arai, “A Quantitative Stability Measure for Graspless Manipulation,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2473-2478, 2002.
-  A. Bicchi, “Force Distribution in Multiple Whole-Limb Manipulation,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 196-201, 1993.
-  S. Arimoto, P. T. A. Nguyen, H. Y. Han, and Z. Doulgeri, “Dynamics and control of a set of dual fingers with soft tips,” Robotica, Vol.18, No.1, pp. 71-80, 2000.
-  S. Arimoto, Z. Doulgeri, P. T. A. Nguyen, and J. Fasoulas, “Stable pinching by pair of robot fingers with soft tips under the effect of gravity,” Robotica, Vol.20, No.1, pp. 1-11, 2002.
-  S. D. Eppinger, and W. P. Seering, “Three Dynamics Problems in Robot Force Control,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 392-397, 1989.
-  K. B. Shimoga, and A. A. Goldenberg, “Soft Robotic Fingers: Part I. A Comparison of Construction Materials,” International Journal of Robotics Research, pp. 320-334, 1996.
-  K. B. Shimoga, and A. A. Goldenberg, “Soft Robotic Fingers: Part II. Modeling and Impedance Regulation,” International Journal of Robotics Research, pp. 335-350, 1996.
-  E. I. Jury, “Sampled-Data Control Systems,” John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1958.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.