Development of Human-Symbiotic Robot “EMIEW” – Design Concept and System Construction –
Yuji Hosoda*, Saku Egawa*, Junichi Tamamoto*,
Kenjiro Yamamoto*, Ryousuke Nakamura*,
and Masahito Togami**
*Robotics Project, Mechanical Engineering Research Laboratory, Hitachi, Ltd., 832-2 Horiguchi, Hitachinaka, Ibaraki 312-0034, Japan
**Ubiquitous Media Systems Research Department, Central Research Laboratory, Hitachi, Ltd., 1-280 Higashi-koigakubo, Kokubunji-shi, Tokyo 185-8601, Japan
We are developing a robot that will support people in their daily lives, i.e., a human-symbiotic robot. This kind of robot is required to coexist with users, be user friendly, and be capable of supporting them. As a first step to achieving the last goal, we have developed an autonomous mobile robot that makes use of a self-balancing two-wheeled mobility system and a body swing mechanism to shift its center of gravity. This allows it to move nimbly at up to six kilometers per hour. It also has capabilities that enable it to avoid collisions with obstacles and move safely through complex environments. It is able to interact with people naturally without special tools by means of distant-speech recognition and high-quality speech-synthesis technologies. These capabilities were demonstrated at the 2005 World Exposition Aichi Japan.
Kenjiro Yamamoto, Ryousuke Nakamura, and
and Masahito Togami, “Development of Human-Symbiotic Robot “EMIEW” – Design Concept and System Construction –,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.18, No.2, pp. 195-202, 2006.
-  Y. Kuroki et al., “A Small Biped Walking Robot SDR-4X II Exploring an Advanced Motion Entertainment,” Proc. of the 21st Annual Conference of the Robotics Society of Japan, 1A21, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  F. Ozaki et al., “Information Service of Robotic Information Home Appliance “ApriAlpha”,” Proc. of the 22nd Annual Conference of the Robotics Society of Japan, 2E16, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  M. Ueki, et al., “Development of Office Service Robot,” Proc. of the 22nd Annual Conference of the Robotics Society of Japan, 3D24, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Hosoda et al., “Development of human-symbiotic robot “EMIEW” –Development concept and system construction–,” Proc. of the 36th International Symposium on Robotics (ISR2005), TU4H1, 2005.
-  R. Nakamura et al., “Mobility Control of Human-Symbiotic Robot “EMIEW”,” Proc. of the 6th SICE System Integration Division Annual Conference (SI2005), 2N1-1, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  M. Togami, and A. Amano, “Adaptation Methodology for Minimum Variance Beam-former Based on Frequency Segregation,” Proc. of the 2005 Autumn Meeting of the Acoustical Society of Japan, 2-2-20, 2005 (in Japanese).
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.