Agent System for Operating Web-Based Sensor Nodes via the Internet
Tokihiro Fukatsu, Masayuki Hirafuji, and Takuji Kiura
National Agricultural Research Center, 3-1-1 Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8666, Japan
Web-based sensor nodes, which have a Wireless LAN and a Web server for remote monitoring, could be used with little effort by users thanks to their easy installation, monitoring, and management. To realize a sensor network with high scalability, fewer legacy problems, and general versatility, we propose an agent system for operating Web-based sensor nodes via the Internet. The agent system handles many kinds of sensor nodes flexibly and uniformly with the agent program and configuration files. Constructing all agent objects based on the Internet enhances the expansion of operation, control, and scale. By making the agent system architecture, algorithm, and implementation, we demonstrate the capabilities and reliability of this useful sensor network.
-  T. Yamanaka, and I. Kaihotsu, “TDR Measurement of Soil Moisture in a Cold-Arid Region: Effects of Temperature Variation and Soil Freezing/Melting phenomena,” Electronic Monograph, No.1, pp. 1-7, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  J. M. Kahn, R. H. Katz, and K. S. J. Pister, “Next Century Challenges: Mobile Networking for “Smart Dust”,” ACM/IEEE Intl. Conf. on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom99), pp. 271-278, 1999.
-  K. A. Delin, and S. P. Jackson, “Sensor Web for In Situ Exploration of Gaseous Biosignatures,” Proc. IEEE Aerospace Conference, Vol.7, pp. 465-472, 2000.
-  L. Doherty, B. A. Warneke, B. E. Boser, and K. S. J. Pister, “Energy and Performance Considerations for Smart Dust,” International Journal of Parallel and Distributed Systems and Networks, Vol.4, No.3, 2001.
-  V. Shnayder, M. Hempstead, B. Chen, G. W. Allen, and M. Welsh, “Simulating the Power Consumption of Large-Scale Sensor Network Applications,” Proc. of the Second ACM Conference on Embedded Networked System, 2004.
-  S. Sahni, and X. Xu, “Algorithms for Wireless Sensor Networks,” International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 35-56, 2005.
-  F. Ye, H. Luo, J. Cheng, S. Lu, and L. Zhang, “A Two-Tier Data Dissemination Model for Largescale Wireless Sensor Networks,” MOBICOM02, pp. 148-159, 2002.
-  S. D. Servetto, and G. Barrenechea, “Constrained Random Walks on Random Graphs: Routing Algorithms for Large Scale Wireless Sensor Networks,” WSNA02, pp. 12-21, 2002.
-  R. Govindan, W. Hong, S. Madden, M. Franklin, and S. Shenker, “The Sensor Network as a Database,” Computer Science Department, TR02-02-771, 2002.
-  S. Ratnasamy, D. Estrin, R. Govindan, B. Karp, S. Shenker, L. Yin, and F. Yu, “Data-Centric Storage in Sensornets,” SIGCOMM02, 2002.
-  A. Savvides, C. C. Han, and M. B. Strivastava, “Dynamic Finegrained Localization in Ad-hoc Networks of Sensors,” MOBICOM01, pp. 166-179, 2001.
-  J. Elson, and K. Romer, “Wireless Sensor Networks: A New Regime for Time Synchronization,” HotNets-I, 2002.
-  S. Tilak, N. B. Abu-Ghazaleh, and W. Heinzelman, “Infrastructure Tradeoffs for Sensor Networks,” WSNA02, pp. 49-58, 2002.
-  A. Mainwaring, J. Polastre, R. Szewczyk, D. Culler, and J. Anderson, “Wireless Sensor Networks for Habitat Monitoring,” ACM Workshop on Sensor Networks and Applications, 2002.
-  E. S. Biagioni, and K. W. Bridges, “The application of Remote Sensor Technology to Assist the Recovery of Rare and Endangered Species,” International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 315-324, 2002.
-  G. W. Allen, J. Johnson, M. Ruiz, J. Lees, and M. Welsh, “Monitoring Volcanic Eruptions with a Wireless Sensor Network,” Proc. of the European Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks, 2005.
-  R. Cardell-Oliver, K. Smettem, M. Kranz, and K. Mayer, “A Reactive Soil Moisture Sensor Network: Design and Field Evaluation,” International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 149-162, 2005.
-  R. Sameshima, “A new method for predicting flowering stage in soybean,” JARQ, Vol.25, pp. 149-153, 1991.
-  T. Ohtani, K. Sugahara, K. Tanaka, M. Laurenson, T. Watanabe, and S. Umemoto, “Web based IPM system for Japanese pear diseases in Japan. III. Weather data acquisition system to estimate leaf wetness duration and scab infection severity,” The 2001 KSPP International Conference and Annual Meeting, Plant Disease Forecast: Information Technology in Plant Pathology, Program and Abstracts p. 63, 2001.
-  T. Hoshi, Y. Hayashi, S. Yokoi, T. Hasegawa, and T. Kozai, “An Environmental Control System Based on the Decentralized Autonomous Control,” Journal of Society of High Technology in Agriculture, Vol.14, No.3, pp. 157-164, 2002.
-  T. Kida, M. Kamo, A. Sawamura, and D. Matsumoto, “Study on the Development of Dairy Facilities and a Cow Herd Monitoring System,” Agricultural Information Research, Vol.12, No.4, pp. 299-306, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  T. Fukatsu, and M. Hirafuji, “Field Monitoring Using Sensor-Nodes with a Web Server,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.17 No.2, pp. 164-172, 2005.
-  S. Junnila, and J. Niittylahti, “Wireless Technologies for Data Acquisition Systems,” Proc. of the 1st International Symposium on Information and Communication Technologies, pp. 132-137, 2003.
-  M. R. Laurenson, T. Kiura, and S. Ninomiya, “Providing Agricultural Models with Mediated Access to Heterogeneous Weather Databases,” Applied Engineering in Agriculture, Vol.18, No.5, pp. 617-625, 2002.
-  K. Tanaka, T. Watanabe, and M. Hirafuji, “Model Design Using the Interface and Use of Models by the Modelbase System,” Proc. of the 2nd Asian Conference for Information Technology in Agriculture, pp. 267-272, 2000.
-  M. R. Laurenson, T. Kiura, and S. Ninomiya, “A Tool for estimating the risk of extreme climatic events,” Agricultural Information Research, Vol.10, No.2, pp. 79-90, 2002.
-  T. Kiura, T. Fukatsu, and M. Hirafuji, “Field Server Gateway: Gateway Box for Field Monitoring Servers,” Proc. of the 3rd Asian Conference for Information Technology in Agriculture, pp. 410-413, 2002.
-  M. Hirafuji, T. Fukatsu, and H. Haoming, “Full-Wireless Field Monitoring Server for Advanced Sensor-network,” Proc. of AFITA/WCCA Joint Congress on IT in Agriculture, pp. 692-697, 2004.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.