Virtual Driving Simulator for Measuring Dynamic Properties of Human Arm Movements
Yoshiyuki Tanaka*, Ryoma Kanda*, Naoki Yamada**,
Hitoshi Fukuba**, Ichiro Masamori**, and Toshio Tsuji*
*Department of Artificial Complex Systems Engineering, Hiroshima University, 1-4-1 Kagamiyama, Higashi-hiroshima, Hiroshima 739-8527, Japan
**Mazda Motor Corporation, 3-1 Shinchi, Fuchu-cho, Aki-gun, Hiroshima 730-8670, Japan
This paper presents a virtual driving simulator using robotic devices as an example of human-machine systems to investigate dynamic properties of human movements in the operation of drive interfaces, such as steering wheels and transmission shifters. The simulator has virtual steering and transmission systems under variable impedance control, providing the operators with realistic operational response. Mechanical impedance parameters around the steering rotational axis were measured to demonstrate the effectiveness of the developed simulator.
Hitoshi Fukuba, Ichiro Masamori, and Toshio Tsuji, “Virtual Driving Simulator for Measuring Dynamic Properties of Human Arm Movements,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.18, No.2, pp. 177-185, 2006.
-  F. A. Mussa-Ivaldi, N. Hogan, and E. Bizzi, “Neural, mechanical and geometric factors subserving arm in humans,” Journal of Neuroscience, Vol.5, No.10, pp. 2732-2743, 1985.
-  J. M. Dolan, M. B. Friendman, and M. L. Nagarka, “Dynamics and loaded impedance components in the maintenance of human arm posture,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Vol.23, No.3, pp. 698-709, 1993.
-  T. Tsuji, P. G. Morasso, K. Goto, and K. Ito, “Human hand impedance characteristics during maintained posture,” Biological Cybernetics, Vol.72, pp. 457-485, 1995.
-  T. Tsuji, M. Moritani, M. Kaneko, and K. Ito, “An analysis of human hand impedance characteristics: During isometric muscle contractions,” Transaction of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.32, No.2, pp. 271-280, 1996 (in Japanese).
-  T. Tsuji, Y. Takeda, and Y. Tanaka, “Analysis of mechanical impedance in human arm movements using a virtual tennis system,” Biological Cybernetics, Vol.91, No.5, pp. 295-305, 2004.
-  H. Gomi, Y. Koike, and M. Kawato, “Human hand stiffness during discrete point-to-point multi-joint movement,” in Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 1628-1629, 1992.
-  N. Hogan, “Impedance control: An approach to manipulation,” Parts I, II, III, ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.107, No.1, pp. 1-24, 1985.
-  H. Kazerooni, “Human-robot interaction via the transfer of power and information signals,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol.20, No.2, pp. 450-463, March/April, 1990.
-  K. Kosuge, Y. Fujisawa, andT. Fukuda, “Control of mechanical system with man-machine interaction,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 87-92, 1992.
-  T. Tsuji, Y. Tanaka, and M. Kaneko, “Tracking control properties of human-robot systems,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Information Technology in Mechatronics, pp. 77-83, 2001.
-  Y. Yamada, H. Konosu, T. Morizano, and Y. Umetani, “Proposal of skill-assist: A system of assisting human workers by reflecting their skills in positioning tasks,” Proceedings of the 1999 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, IV11-16, 1999.
-  R. Ikeura, and H. Inooka, “Variable impedance control of a robot for cooperation with a human,” Proceedings of the 1995 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3097-3102, 1995.
-  R. Ikeura, T. Moriguchi, and K. Mizutani, “Optimal variable impedance control for a robot and its application to lifting an object with a human,” Proceedings of the 2002 IEEE International Workshop on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, pp. 500-505, 2002.
-  Y. Yamada, H. Daitoh, T. Sakai, and Y. Umetani, “Proposal of a human interface technique for reflecting the operator’s intentionality in human/robot collaborative conveyance tasks,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.67, No.665-C, pp. 1069-1076, 2001.
-  R. Ikeura, H. Hoshino, D. Yokoi et al., “Feeling evaluation for the steering of cars based on impedance of human arm,” Proceeding of the SICE System Integration Division Annual Conference, pp. 637-638, 2004.
-  R. Ikeura, H. Hoshino et al., “Feeling evaluation for the steering of cars based on impedance of human arm,” In Proc. of the 2005 JSAE Annual Autom Congress, Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, pp. 15-20, Sep., 2005.
-  Y. Tanaka, N. Yamada, K. Nishikawa, I. Masamori, and T. Tsuji, “Manipulability Analysis of Human Arm Movements during the Operation of a Variable-Impedance Controlled Robot,” in Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robotics and Systems, pp. 3543-3548, August, 2005.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.