Development of Nanometer Flying-Height Slider for Small Magnetic Disk Drives
Yoshinori Takeuchi*, and Katsuyuki Tanaka**
*Slider Engineering Department, Hitachi Global Storage Technologies, 2880 Kozu, Odawara-shi, Kanagawa 256-8510, Japan
**Department of Mechanical System Engineering, School of Engineering, University of Shiga Prefecture, 2500 Hassaka-cho, Hikone-shi, Shiga 522-8533, Japan
The 90nm and 15nm flying-height sliders we designed for small magnetic disk drives are based on a basic design guide we previously proposed that covers (1) a very small slider, (2) a multipad slider or side-step slider, and (3) a negative-pressure slider use in low spacing mode alone. These experimentally prototyped sliders were confirmed to fly stably on the disk at the prescribed 90nm and 15nm heights, and have been commercialized for 3.5-inch and 2.5-inch hard disk drives. These practical results demonstrate the feasibility of the proposed basic design guide.
-  K. Tanaka, Y. Takeuchi, T. Odaka, and Y. Saitoh, “Preliminary Study on Some Shapes and Characteristics of Air Bearing Slider with Uniform Flying Height for Magnetic Disk Drive with Swingtype Actuator,” ASME, Adv. Info. and Storage Systems, Vol.9, pp. 93-108, 1998.
-  K. Tanaka, Y. Takeuchi, T. Odaka, H. Daitoh, and Y. Miyake, “Analytical Stability Criteria for Gas-Lubricated Sliders for Magnetic Disk Drive,” Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers, Vol.32, No.4, pp. 447-452, 1989.
-  K. Tanaka, Y. Takeuchi, T. Odaka, Y. Saitoh, and T. Nakamura, “Some Unique Phenomena of Negative Pressure Type Slider with Reverse Step Bearings,” STLE, SP-22, pp. 21-25, 1987.
-  T. Odaka, K. Tanaka, and Y. Takeuchi, “New Method for Evaluation of the Ultra-Thin Air Film Spacing between Head Slider and Disk Surface on Magnetic Disk Files (General Description of Problem and Solving Method),” ASME-ISPS/JSME-IIP Joint Conference (IIP/ISPS Joint MIPE’03), June 16-18, 2003, Yokohama, PMC-04, pp. 365-366.
-  Y. Takeuchi, K. Tanaka, T. Odaka, and F. Muranushi, “Examination of Flying Height of Magnetic Head Slider in Simulations and Measurements at Nanometer-Order Spacing,” ASME-ISPS/JSMEIIP Joint Conference (IIP/ISPS Joint MIPE’03), June 16-18, 2003, Yokohama, P-HDI-02, pp. 343-344.
-  Y. Takeuchi, K. Mori, M. Matsumoto, H. Agari, J. Shimizu, E. Togawa, Y. Kojima, M. Tokuyama, H. Tokisue, H. Kohira, Y. Saitoh, H. Takahashi, and Y. Shiroishi, “Magnetic Head Slider,” United States Patent, No.5430591, 1995.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.