Basic Design Guide Proposal on Nanometer Flying-Height Slider for Small Magnetic Disk Drives
Yoshinori Takeuchi*, and Katsuyuki Tanaka**
*Slider Engineering Department, Hitachi Global Storage Technologies, 2880 Kozu, Odawara-shi, Kanagawa 256-8510, Japan
**Department of Mechanical System Engineering, School of Engineering, University of Shiga Prefecture, 2500 Hassaka-cho, Hikone-shi, Shiga 522-8533, Japan
We propose a basic design guide to design a very low spacing slider for small magnetic disk drives. The design features; (1) A multipad or side-step slider to avoid a sudden decrease in flying height due to the yaw angle of the swing actuator. (2) The slider must be as small as possible to be stable because the very low flying height makes the slider tend to vibrate unstably. (3) High spacing mode must be avoided to stabilize the negative-pressure slider used in constant density recording (CDR) suitable for high-density magnetic media.
-  M. L. Lesser, and J. W. Haanstra, “The Random-Access Memory Accounting Machine,” IBM Journal, pp. 62-71, January, 1957.
-  S. Fukui, and R. Kaneko, “Analysis of Flying Characteristics of Magnetic Heads with Ultra-Thin Spacing Based on the Boltzmann Equation,” IEEE Trans. MAG., 24-6, pp. 2751-2753, 1988.
-  Y. Takeuchi, K. Tanaka, T. Odaka, and F. Muranushi, “Examination of Flying Height of Magnetic Head Slider in Simulations and Measurements at Nanometer-Order Spacing,” ASME-ISPS/JSMEIIP Joint Conference (IIP/ISPS Joint MIPE’03), June 16-18, 2003, Yokohama, P-HDI-02, pp. 343-344.
-  A. Burgdorfer, “The Influence of the Molecular Mean Free Path on the Performance of Hydrodynamic Gas Lubricated Bearings,” Trans. ASME, Ser. D, 81-1, pp. 94-100, 1959.
-  Y. T. Hsia, and G. A. Domoto, “An Experimental Investigation of Molecular Rarefaction Effects in Gas Lubricated Bearings at Ultra-Low Clearances,” Trans. ASME, J. Lub. Tech., 105, pp. 120-130, 1983.
-  T. Odaka, K. Tanaka, and Y. Takeuchi, “New Method for Evaluation of the Ultra-Thin Air Film Spacing between Head Slider and Disk Surface on Magnetic Disk Files (General Description of Problem and Solving Method),” ASME-ISPS/JSME-IIP Joint Conference (IIP/ISPS Joint MIPE’03), June 16-18, 2003, Yokohama, PMC-04, pp. 365-366.
-  K. Tanaka, Y. Takeuchi, T. Odaka, and Y. Saitoh, “Preliminary Study on Some Shapes and Characteristics of Air Bearing Slider with Uniform Flying Height for Magnetic Disk Drive with Swingtype Actuator,” ASME, Adv. Info. and Storage Systems, Vol.9, pp. 93-108, 1998.
-  Y. Takeuchi, K. Tanaka, T. Odaka, Y. Saitoh, and H. Daitoh, “Magnetic Head Slider,” Japan Patent, No.1475564, 1981.
-  Y. Takeuchi, K. Tanaka, T. Odaka, Y. Saitoh, and T. Kameyama, “Magnetic Head Slider,” Japan Patent, No.1471256, 1981.
-  K. Tanaka, Y. Takeuchi, T. Odaka, H. Daitoh, and Y. Miyake, “Analytical Stability Criteria for Gas-Lubricated Sliders for Magnetic Disk Drive,” Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers, Vol.32, No.4, pp. 447-452, 1989.
-  T. Odaka, K. Tanaka, Y. Takeuchi, and Y. Saitoh, “Dynamic Characteristics of Air-Lubricated slider Bearings for Magnetic Disk Files (Calculation by Finite Element Method),” JSME International Journal, 30, 262, pp. 638-645, 1987.
-  K. Tanaka, Y. Takeuchi, T. Odaka, Y. Saitoh, and T. Nakamura, “Some Unique Phenomena of Negative Pressure Type Slider with Reverse Step Bearings,” STLE, SP-22, pp. 21-25, 1987.
-  K. Kimura, Y. Takeuchi, Y. Yamaguchi, and M. Tokuyama, “Magnetic Head Slider and Magnetic Disk Drive,” Japan Patent, No.2872384, 1990.
-  L. K. Dorius, “Negative Pressure Step Pad Air Bearing Design and Method for Making the Same,” United States Patent, No.5777825, 1996.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.