Motion Design for Indoor Blimp Robot with PID Controller
Hidenori Kawamura*, Hisao Kadota**, Masahito Yamamoto*,
Toshihiko Takaya***, and Azuma Ohuchi*
*Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, Hokkaido University, Nishi 9, Kita 14, Kita-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido 060-0814, Japan
**Fujitsu Limited, Shiodome City Center, 1-5-2 Higashi-Shinbashi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-7123, Japan
***Ricoh Software Inc., Nishi 4, Kita 7, Kita-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido 060-0807, Japan
We report on motion design for indoor applications. Blimp robots have potential applications in monitoring, surveillance, overhead advertising, and entertainment. Since blimps are greatly influenced by airstreams and inertia during movement, researchers are widely studying control design focusing on basic motions such as hovering, rotation, and straight-line motion. We focused on motions attained by combining basic motions in motion design because different motions derived for applications are achievable by continuously combining basic motions. The results of experiments demonstrated that different motions are expressed as required.
Toshihiko Takaya, and Azuma Ohuchi, “Motion Design for Indoor Blimp Robot with PID Controller,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.17, No.5, pp. 500-508, 2005.
-  S. Zwaan, A. Bernardino, and J. Santos-Victor, “Visual station keeping for floating robots in unstructured environments,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems 39, pp. 145-155, 2002.
-  J. Kobayashi, Y. Akatsuka, and F. Ohkawa, “Flight Control of Blimp Based on CCD Camera Images,” Proceedings of International Symposium on Advanced Control of Industrial Processes, pp. 269-274, 2002.
-  F. Iida, “Biologically Inspired Visual Odometer for Navigation of a Flying Robot,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems 44, pp. 201-208, 2003.
-  Autonomous Flying Object (AFO) Project Official Web Site,
-  H. Kadota, H. Kawamura, M. Yamamoto, T. Takaya, and A. Ohuchi, “Vision-based Control of Autonomous Flying Airship Robot,” Proceedings of the 2003 International Technical Conference on Circuit/Systems, Computers and Communications, pp. 628-631, 2003.
-  H. Kadota, H. Kawamura, M. Yamamoto, T. Takaya, and A. Ohuchi, “Vision-based Positioning System for Indoor Blimp Robot,” Proceedings of the 5th IFAC/EURON Symposium on Intelligent Autonomous Vehicles, CD-ROM, 2004.
-  A. Elfes, M. Bergerman, J. Carvalho, E. Paiva, J. Ramos, and S. Bueno, “Air-Ground Robotics Ensembles for Cooperative Applications: Concepts and Preliminary Results,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Field and Service Robotics, pp. 75-80, 1999.
-  A. Moutinho, and J. Azinheira, “Path Control of an Autonomous Airship Using Dynamic Inversion,” Proceedings of the 5th IFAC/EURON Symposium on Intelligent Autonomous Vehicles, CD-ROM, 2004.
-  Z. Wasik, and A. Saffiotti, “Robust Color Segmentation for the RobuCup Domain,” Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Vol.2, pp. 651-654, 2002.
-  J. Bruce, T. Balch, and M. Veloso, “Fast and Inexpensive Color Image Segmentation for Interactive Robots,” Proceedings of the 2000 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol.3, pp. 2061-2066, 2000.
-  M. Sugisaka, F. Dai, Y. Fujihara, and T. Kamioka, “Development of the Fuzzy Control for a GPS-located Airship,” Proceedings of the Tenth International Symposium on Artificial Life and Robotics, CD-ROM, 2005.
-  K. Motoyama, H. Kawamura, M. Yamamoto, and A. Ohuchi, “Development of Autonomous Blimp Robot with Intelligent Control,” Entertainment Computing – Technologies and Applications, Kluwer Academic Publishers (ISBN: 1-40207-360-7), pp. 191-198, 2003.
-  A. Nishimura, H. Kawamura, M. Yamamoto, and A. Ohuchi, “Learning Control of Autonomous Airship for Three-dimensional Pursuit Problem,” Proceedings of the Tenth International Symposium on Artificial Life and Robotics, Vol.1, pp. 194-197, 2003.
-  K. Motoyama, H. Kawamura, M. Yamamoto, and A. Ohuchi, “Design of Action-value Function in Motion Planning for Autonomous Blimp Robots,” IEEE Transactions on Electronics, Vol.10, No.124, pp. 1930-1937, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.