Realtime FPGA-Based Vision System
Shinichi Hirai*, Masakazu Zakoji**, Akihiro Masubuchi***,
and Tatsuhiko Tsuboi****
*Department of Robotics, Ritsumeikan University, Kusatsu, Shiga 525-8577, Japan
**Seiko Epson Corp.
****Toray Engineering Co., Ltd.
This article describes a realtime FPGA-based vision system and its experimental evaluation. We detail the developed system, implementing three vision algorithms on it – image gravity center computation, object orientation detection using radial projection, and Hough transform computation. We then execute these algorithms on the FPGA-based vision system.
-  C. D. Thompson, “Fourier Transforms in VLSI,” IEEE Trans. on Computers, Vol.C-32, No.11, pp. 1047-1057, 1983.
-  M. Maresca, M. Lavin, and H. Li, “Parallel Hough Transform Algorithms on Polymorphic Torus Architecture,” S. Levialdi eds., “Multicomputer Vision,” Academic Press, pp. 9-21, 1988.
-  H. Inoue, T. Tachikawa, and M. Inaba, “Robot Vision System with a Correlation Chip for Real-time Tracking, Optical Flow and Depth Map Generation,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1621-1626, Nice, May 1992.
-  A. Bugeja, and W. Yang, “A Reconfigurable VLSI Coprocessing System for the Block Matching Algorithm,” IEEE Trans on VLSI Systems, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 329-337, 1995.
-  M. Hariyama, T. Takeuchi, and M. Kameyama, “VLSI Processor for Reliable Stereo Matching Based on AdaptiveWindow-Size Selection,” Proc. 2001 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1168-1173, Seoul, May 2001.
-  J.-E. Eklund, C. Svensson, and A. Aström, “VSLI Implementation of a Focal Plane Image Processor – A Realization of the Near-Sensor Image Processing Concept,” IEEE Trans. on VLSI Systems, No.4, Vol.3, pp, 322-335, 1996.
-  I. Ishii, Y. Nakabo, and M. Ishikawa, “Target Tracking Algorithm for 1ms Visual Feedback System using Massively Parallel Processing Vision,” Proc. 1996 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2309-2314, Minneapolis, May 1996.
-  R. Woods, D. Trainor, and J.-P. Heron, “Applying an XC6200 to Real-Time Image Processing,” IEEE Design & Test of Computers, Vol.15, No.1, pp. 30-38, 1998.
-  S. O. Memik, A. K. Katsaggelos, and M. Sarrafzadeh, “Analysis and FPGA Implementation of Image Restortion under Resource Constraints,” IEEE Trans. on Computers, Vol.52, No.3, pp. 390-399, 2003.
-  D. D. S. Deng, and H. ElGindy, “High-speed Parameterisable Hough Transform Using Reconfigurable Hardware,” Proc. Pan-Sydney area Workshop on Visual Information Processing, pp. 51-57, 2001.
-  G. L. Turin, “An Introduction to Digital Matched Filters,” Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol.64, No.7, pp. 1093-1112, 1977.
-  Q. Chen, M. Defries, and F. Deconinck, “Symmetric Phase-Only Matched Filtering of Fourier-Mellin Transforms for Image Registration and Recognition,” IEEE Trans. PAMI, Vol.16, No.12, pp. 1156-1168, 1994.
-  H. Onishi, and H. Suzuki, “Detection of Rotation and Parallel Translation Using Hough and Fourier Transforms,” Proc. 1996 Int. Conf. on Image Processing, Vol.3, pp. 827-830, 1996.
-  D. H. Ballard, “Generalizing the Hough Transform to Detect Arbitrary Shapes,” Pattern Recognition, Vol.13, No.2, pp. 111-122, 1981.
-  T. Tsuboi, A. Masubuchi, S. Hirai, S. Yamamoto, K. Ohnishi, and S. Arimoto, “Video-frame Rate Detection of Position and Orientation of Planar Motion Objects using One-sided RadonTransform,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.2, pp. 1233-1238, Seoul, May 2001.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.