A Pixel-Parallel Algorithm for Detecting and Tracking Fast-Moving Modulated Light Signals
Shingo Kagami, Masatsugu Shinmeimae, Takashi Komuro,
Yoshihiro Watanabe, and Masatoshi Ishikawa
Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
We developed a pixel-parallel image processing algorithm for detecting and tracking temporally modulated light signals for use as optical ID tags. The proposed algorithm requires no wavelength filters and obtains position information on signals at a high frame rate while decoding transmitted data. We implemented the proposed algorithm in a digital vision chip, a pixel-parallel processor embedded in a CMOS image sensor, and proved it to be operationally feasible.
Yoshihiro Watanabe, and Masatoshi Ishikawa, “A Pixel-Parallel Algorithm for Detecting and Tracking Fast-Moving Modulated Light Signals,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.17, No.4, pp. 387-394, 2005.
-  M. Ishikawa, and T. Komuro, “Digital vision chips and high-speed vision systems,” In Digest of Technical Papers of 2001 Symposium on VLSI Circuits, pp. 1-4, 2001.
-  D. J. Moore, R. Want, B. L. Harrison, A. Gujar, and K. Fishkin, “Implementing phicons: Combining computer vision with infrared technology for interactive physical icons,” In ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST99), pp. 67-68, 1999.
-  H. Aoki, “Infrared identification system with tags and video camera,” Interactive Systems and Software, Vol.VIII, pp. 131-136, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  N. Matsushita, D. Hihara, T. Ushiro, S. Yoshimura, J. Rekimoto, and Y. Yamamoto, “ID Cam: A smart camera for scene capturing and ID recognition,” In The Second IEEE and ACM International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality, p. 227, 2003.
-  S. Ito, Y. Sumi, and K. Mase, “Interaction capturing device with an infrared ID sensor,” In IPSJ SIG Technical Report, 2003-HI-104, pp. 13-18, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  K. Kato, S. Tanaka, and I. Ishii, “Interactive optical communication based on high-speed vision,” In Vision Engineering Workshop 2003 (ViEW2003), pp. 189-194, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  T. Komuro, S. Kagami, and M. Ishikawa, “A dynamically reconfigurable SIMD processor for a vision chip,” IEEE Journal of Solidstate Circuits, Vol.39, No.1, pp. 265-268, 2004.
-  Y. Watanabe, T. Komuro, S. Kagami, and M. Ishikawa, “Real-time visual measurements using high-speed vision,” In Optics East 2004, 2004.
-  I. Ishii, Y. Nakabo, and M. Ishikawa, “Target tracking algorithm for 1ms visual feedback system using massively parallel processing,” In Proc. 1996 IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, pp. 2309-2314, 1996.
-  S. Kagami, T. Komuro, and M. Ishikawa, “A high-speed vision system with in-pixel programmable ADCs and PEs for real-time visual sensing,” In 8th IEEE International Workshop on Advanced Motion Control, pp. 439-443, 2004.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.