Development of a Piezoelectric Screwdriver for Recessless Screws
Hiroshi Kawano, and Hideyuki Ando
NTT Corporation, NTT Communication Science Laboratories, 3-1 Wakamiya, Morinosato, Atsugi, Kanagawa 243-0198, Japan
Screw’s are widely used because of their ease of use and very high joint force. Screws can be tightened very easily using plus- or minus screwdrivers. However, the cross- or minus-shaped recess on the screwhead causes a lot of problems. First, screws can be too easily loosened by screwdrivers, which means it becomes very easy to dismantle parts that should not be dismantled. Second, the recess makes a machine less aesthetically pleasing. Third, many screwdrivers of different diameter must be available. Fourth, if the recess is damaged, it becomes difficult or impossible to tighten or loosen the screw. To solve these problems, we propose a recessless screw. Recessless screw provides ultimate tamper-resistance. The proposed screwdriver uses piezoelectric cells to tighten or loosen recessless screws. Piezoelectric cells vibrate ultrasonically, generating rotation and tightening torque. The principle of the proposed screwdriver is examined by experiments whose results show the high potential of the piezoelectric screwdriver.
-  K. Nakamura, M. Kurosawa, and S. Ueha, “Characteristics of a Hybrid Transducer-Type Ultrasonic Motor,” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, Vol.38, No.3, pp. 183-193, May 1991.
-  T. Amano, T. Ishii, K. Nakamura, and S. Ueha, “An Ultrasonic Actuator with Multi-degree of Freedom Using Bending and longitudinal Vibrations of a Single Stator,” Proc. of 1998 IEEE Ultrasonic Symposium, Vol.1, pp. 667-670, 1998.
-  H. B. John, “An Introduction to the design and behavior of bolted joints,” Marcel Dekker, Inc., 1995.
-  E. Ando, and Y. Kagawa, “Finite-element simulation of transient heat response in ultrasonic transducers,” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, Vol.39, No.3, pp. 432-440, 1992.
-  K. Nakamura, M. Kurosawa, H. Kurebayashi, and S. Ueha, “An estimation of load characteristics of an ultrasonic motor by measuring transient responses,” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, Vol.38, No.5, pp. 481-485, 1991.
-  H. Kawano, and T. Hirahara, “Three-DOF Angular Positioning Control using a Multi-DOF Ultrasonic Motor in the Pre-loaded Condition –Application to the Auditory Tele-Existence Robot “TeleHead”–,” Proc. of 2003 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2247-2253, 2003.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.