Structural Analysis of Directional Deflection Beams
Koyu Abe, Yusuke Tanida, and Masaru Uchiyama
Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aoba-yama, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
Parallel leaf springs are often used for precise linear motion because of their simplicity and freedom from static friction in cases where elasticity and high deformation are required. Using a parallel beam in force sensing requires minimum deflection and limited stress concentration. We previously proposed a unidirectional force sensor based on the H-slit parallel beam structure – an extension of conventional parallel beam. In this paper, we use finite element analysis (FEA) to investigate parallel beam structures that deflect easily in one direction, and evaluate the optimum profile for the notch in the H-slit beam and applications of the parallel beam structure.
-  T. Nanko, Y. Seki, and N. Motomura, “Near Infrared Spectral Analyzer Infra-Spec NR800,” Yokogawa Technical Report, Vol.45, No.3, pp. 179-182, 2001.
-  K. Ono, “A 6-axis Force Sensor,” Journal of the Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.54, No.4, pp. 33-36, 1986.
-  J. M. Paros, and L. Weisbord, “Flexure Hinges,” Machine Design, pp. 151-156, 1965.
-  M. Tanaka, and M. Nakayama, “The Bending Elasticity of a Circular Notched Bar as the Monolithic Flexure Hinges in a Precision Mechanism,” Journal of the Japan Society of Applied Physics, Vol.50, No.3, pp. 212-221, 1981.
-  A. Kyusojin, D. Sagawa, and A. Toyama, “Development of Linear and Rotary Movement Mechanisms by Using Leaf Springs,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.53, No.7, pp. 92-96, 1987.
-  K. Abe, T. Miwa, and M. Uchiyama, “Development of a 3-axis Planer Force/Torque Sensor for Very Small Force/Torque Measurement,” JSME International Journal, Series C, Vol.42, No.2, 1999.
-  T. Yoshikawa, and T. Miyazaki, “A Six-Axis Force Sensor with Three-Dimensional Cross-Shape Structure,” Proceedings of the 1989 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 249-255, 1989.
-  Y. Hatamura, “Multi-Axis Force Sensors and their Applications,” Journal of the Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.57, No.10, pp. 47-53. 1991.
-  D. M. Stefanescu, T. Manescu, and I. Ion, “Strain Gauges Emplacement Possibilities for Force/Torque Transducers in Robotics,” IMEKO-XV World Congress, pp. 117-124, 1999.
-  BL-Autotec Ltd., “Catalog of Force Torque Sensors,” BL-FTS-020, p. 4.
-  T. Oiwa, and T. Sugimoto, “Shape Optimization for Flexure Hinges,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.63, No.10, pp. 1454-1458, 1997.
-  K. Abe, Y. Tanida, A. Konno, and M. Uchiyama, “FEM Analysis of a Directional Deflection Sensor Beam Structure for Small Force/Torque Measurement,” Proceedings of 2003/04 International Conference on Precision Engineering, pp. 628-634, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.