An In Vitro Patient-Specific Biological Model of the Cerebral Artery Reproduced with a Membranous Configuration for Simulating Endovascular Intervention
Seiichi Ikeda*, Fumihito Arai*, Toshio Fukuda*,
Makoto Negoro**, and Keiko Irie**
*Dept. of Micro-Nano Systems Engineering, Nagoya University, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
**Dept. of Neurosurgery School of Medicine, Fujita Health University, Toyoake 470-1192, Japan
-  A. Molyneux, R. Kerr, I. Stratton, P. Sandercock et al., International Subarachnoid Aneurysm Trial (ISAT) Collaborative Group, “International Subarachnoid Aneurysm Trial (ISAT) of neurosurgical clipping versus endovascular coiling in 2143 patients with ruptured intracranial aneurysms: a randomised trial,” Lancet, Vol.360, pp. 1267-1274, 2002.
-  P. Ng, M. S. Khangure, C. C. Phatouros, M. Bynevelt et al., “Endovascular Treatment of Intracranial Aneurysms With Guglielmi Detachable Coils: Analysis of Midterm Angiographic and Clinical Outcomes,” Stroke, Vol.33, pp. 210-217, 2002.
-  S. C. Johnston, D. R. Gress, and J. G. Kahn, “Which unruptured cerebral aneurysms should be treated?: A cost-utility analysis,” Neurology, Vol.52, pp. 1806-1815, 1999.
-  J. E. Jordan, M. P. Marks, B. Lane, and G. K. Steinberg, “Costeffectiveness of endovascular therapy in the surgical management of cerebral arteriovenous malformations,” Am. J. Neuroradiol, Vol.17, pp. 247-254, 1996.
-  P. Bairstow, A. Dodgson, J. Linto, and M. Khangure, “Comparison of cost and outcome of endovascular and neurosurgical procedures in the treatment of ruptured intracranial aneurysms,” Australasian Radiology, Vol.46, pp. 249-251, 2002.
-  M. Tanimoto, F. Arai, T. Fukuda, H. Iwata et al., “Micro force sensor for intravascular neurosurgery,” Proc. 1997 IEEE ICRA, pp. 1561-1566.
-  M. Tanimoto, F. Arai, T. Fukuda, and M. Negoro “Augmentation of safety in tele-operation system for intravascular neurosurgery,” Proc. 1998 IEEE ICRA, pp. 2890-2895.
-  S. Ikeda, F. Arai, T. Fukuda, M. Negoro, and I. Takahashi, “Rapid production of an in vitro anatomical model of human cerebral arteries based on CT images,” Proc. 2002 IEEE Micromechatronics and Human Science, pp. 41-47.
-  C. W. Kerber, C. B. Heilman, and P. H. Zanetti, “Transparent elastic arterial model I: a brief technical note,” Biorheology, Vol.26, pp. 1041-1049, 1998.
-  C. W. Kerber, and C. B. Heilman, “Flowdynamics in the carotid artery: 1. Preliminary observations using a transparent elastic model,” Am. J. Neuroradiol, Vol.13, pp. 173-180, 1992.
-  P. Gailloud, J. R. Pray, M. Muster, M, Piotin et al. “An in vitro anatomic model of the human cerebral arteries with saccular arterial aneurysms,” Surg. Radiol. Anat., Vol.19, pp. 119-121, 1997.
-  P. Gailloud, J. R. Pray, M. Muster, M. Piotin et al., “In vitro models of intracranial arteriovenous fistulas for evaluation of new endovascular treatment materials,” Am. J. Neuroradiol, Vol.20, pp. 291-295, 1999.
-  K. Sugiu, J. B. Martin, B. Jean, P. Gailloud et al., “Artificial Cerebral Aneurysm Model for Medical Testing, Training, and Research,” Neurol. Med. Chir., Vol.43, pp. 69-73, 2003.
-  B. W. Chong, C. W. Kerber, R. B. Buxton, and L. R. Frank, “Blood flow dynamics in the vertebrobasilar system: Correlation of a transparent elastic model and MR angiography,” Am. J. Neuroradiol, Vol.15, pp. 733-745, 1994.
-  S. Tateshima, Y. Murayama, J. P. Villablanca et al., “In vitro measurement of fluid-induced wall shear stress in unruptured cerebral aneuryms harboring blebs,” Stroke, Vol.34, pp. 193-199, 2003.
-  A. M. Norbash, and R. J. Singera, “Videographic Assessment of the embolic characteristics of three polymeric compounds: Ethylene vinyl alcohol, cellulose acetate, and liquid urethane,” Am. J. Neuroradiol, Vol.22, pp. 334-340, 2001.
-  M. P. Marks, H. Chee, R. P. Liddell, G. K. Steinberg et al., “A mechanically detachable coil for the treatment of aneurysms and occlusion of blood vessels,” Am. J. Neuroradiol, Vol.15, pp. 821-827, 1994.
-  T. A. Altes, H. J. Cloft, J. G. Short, A. DeGast et al., “Creation of saccular aneurysms in the rabbit: A model suitable for tesintg endovasucular devices,” Am. J. Roentgenology, Vol.174, pp. 349-354, 2000.
-  R. A. Caldwell, J. E. Woodell, S. P. Ho, S. W. Shalaby et al., “In vitro evaluation of phosphonylated low-density polyethylene for vascular appliations,” J. Biomed. Mater. Res., Vol.62, pp. 514-524, 2002.
-  H. Hasegawa, H. Kanai, N. Hoshimiya, N. Chubachi et al., “Accuracy evaluation in the measurement of a small change in the thickness of arterial walls and the measurement of elasticity of the human carotid artery,” Jpn. J. Phys., Vol.37, pp. 3101-3105, 1998.
-  R. A. Caldwell, J. E. Woodell, S. P. Ho, S. W Shalaby et al., “In vitro evaluation of phosphonylated low-density polyethylene for vascular applications,” J. Biomed. Mater. Res., Vol.62, pp. 514-524, 2002.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.