Microfabrication and Laser Manipulation of Functional Microtool Using In-Situ Photofabrication
Hisataka Maruyama, Fumihito Arai, and Toshio Fukuda
Department of Micro-Nano Systems Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
-  N. Szita, A. Zanzotto, P. Boccazzi, A. J. Sinskey, M. A. Schmidt, and K. F. Jensen, “Monitoring of cell groth, oxygen and pH in microfermentors,” Proc. of Micro Total Analysis System, Nara, Japan, pp. 7-9, 2002.
-  I. Inoue, Y. Wakamoto, H. Moriguchi, K. Okano, and K. Yasuda, “On-chip culture system for observation of isolated individual cells,” Lab-on-a-Chip, Vol.1, pp. 50-55, 2001.
-  S. Uehara, Y. Wakamoto, I. Inoue, and K. Yasuda, “On-chip single-cell microcultivation assay for monitoring environmental effects on isolated cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, Vol.305, pp. 534-540, 2003.
-  T. Katsuragi, and Y. Tani, “Review: Single-cell sorting of microorganisms by flow or slide-based (including laser scanning) cytometry,” Acta Biotechnol, Vol.21, pp. 99-115, 2001.
-  S. Gawad, L. Schild, and Ph. Renaud, “Micromachined impedance spectroscopy flow cytometer for cell analysis and particle sizing,” Lab on a chip, Vol.1, pp. 76-82, 2001.
-  M. R. Melamed, T. Lindmo, and M. L. Mendelsohn, “Fow Cytometry and Sorting, 2nd ed.,” New York, Wily-Liss, 1991.
-  G. Fuhr, R. Hagedorn, T. Mueller, B. Wagner, and W. Benecke, “Linear motion of dielectric particles and living cells in microfabricated structures induced by traveling electric fields,” Proc. of IEEE Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, pp. 259-262, 1991.
-  A. Ashkin, and J. M. Dziedzic, “Optical trapping and manipulation of viruses and bacteria,” Science, Vol.235, pp. 1517-1520, 1987.
-  H. A. Pohl, “Dielectrophoresis,” 1, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1978.
-  F. Arai, A. Ichikawa, M. Ogawa, T. Fukuda, K. Horio, and K. Itoigawa, “High-Speed separation system of randomly suspended single living cells by laser trap and dielectrophoresis,” Electrophoresis, Vol.22, pp. 283-288, 2001.
-  F. Arai, A. Ichikawa, T. Fukuda, and T. Katsuragi, “Isolation and extraction of target microbes using thermal sol-gel transformation,” Analyst, Vol.128, pp. 547-551, 2003.
-  C. N. Keir, H. C. Edmund, F. L. Grace, B. Keren, and M. B. Steven, “Characterization of Photdamage to Escherichia coli in Optical Traps,” Biophysical Journal, Vol.77, pp. 2856-2863, 1999.
-  H. Liang, K. T. Vu, P. Krishnan, T. C. Trang, D. Shin, S. Kimel, and M. W. Berns, “Wavelength dependence of cell cloning efficiency after optical trapping,” Biophysical Journal, Vol.70, pp. 1529-1533, 1996.
-  F. Arai, H. Maruyama, T. Sakami, A. Ichikawa, and T. Fukuda, “Pinpoint injection of microtools for minimally invasive micromanipulation of microbe by laser trap,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol.8, pp. 3-9, 2003.
-  C. Mio, and D. W. M. Marr, “Optical Trapping for the Manipulation of Colloidal Particles,” Adv. Materials, Vol.12, pp. 917-920, 2000.
-  F. Arai, K. Yoshikawa, T. Sakami, and T. Fukuda, “Synchronized Manipulation and Force Measurement by Optical Tweezers Using High-speed Laser Scanning,” Proc. of the 2004 IEEE ICRA, New Orleans, LA, April 2004, pp. 890-895.
-  F. Arai, T. Sakami, K. Yosikawa, H. Maruyama, and T. Fukuda, “Synchronized Manipulation and Force Measurement by Optical Tweezers Using High-speed Laser Scanning,” Proc. of the 2003 IEEE/RSJ Intl. Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2121-2126, 2003.
-  F. Arai, H. Maruyama, T. Fukuda, and T. Katsuragi, “Fixation of Microorganisms for Investigation of Their Properties on a Chip,” Proc. of Micro Total Analysis System, California, USA, pp. 21-24, 2003.
-  K. Sasaki, M. Koshioka, H. Misawa, N. Kitamura, and H. Masuhara, “Pattern Formation and Flow Control of fine Particles by Laser Scanning Micromanipulation,” Optics Letters, Vol.16, pp. 1463-1465, 1991.
-  E. Delamarche, A. Bernard, H. Schmid, B. Michel, and H. Biebuyck, “Patterned delivery of immunoglobulins to surfaces using microfluidic networks,” Science, Vol.276, pp. 779-781, 1997.
-  C. S. Effenhauser, G. J. M. Bruin, A. Paulus, and M. Ehrat, “Integrated capillary electrophoresis on flexible silicone microdevices: Analysis of DNA restriction fragments and detection of single DNA molecules on microchips,” Anal. Chem., Vol.69, pp. 3451-3457, 1997.
-  D. C. Duffy, J. C. McDonald, O. J. A. Schueller, and G. M. Whitesides, “Rapid prototyping of microfluidic systems in poly (dimethylsiloxane),” Anal. Chem., Vol.70, pp. 4974-4984, 1998.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.