A Dynamic Body Model of the Nematode C. elegans with Neural Oscillators
Michiyo Suzuki*, Takeshi Goto*, Toshio Tsuji*,
and Hisao Ohtake**
*Department of Artificial Complex Systems Engineering, Hiroshima University, 1-4-1 Kagamiyama, Higashi-Hiroshima, Hiroshima 739-8527, Japan
**Department of Biotechnology, Osaka University, 2-1 Yamadaoka, Suita-shi, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
-  H. Ohtake, “Software of Organisms,” KYORITSU SUPPAN, 1998 (in Japanese).
-  H. Ohtake, T. Yako, T. Tsuji, J. Kato, A. Kuroda, and M. Kaneko, “An Approach to Molecular Artificial Life: Bacterial Intelligent Behavior and Its Computer Model,” Artificial Life V (C.G. Langton, K. Shimohara, eds.), The MIT Press, Cambridge, pp. 395-401, 1997.
-  T. Tsuji, K. Hashigami, M. Kaneko, and H. Ohtake, “Emerging Chemotaxis of Virtual Bacteria Using Genetic Algorithm,” T. IEE Japan, Vol.122-C, No.2, pp. 201-207, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  A. Hirano, T. Tsuji, N. Takiguchi, and H. Ohtake, “Modeling of the Membrane Potential Change of Paramecium for Mechanical Stimuli,” Trans. of SICE, Vol.42, No.4, pp. 351-357, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  A. Cangelosi, and D. Parisi, “A Neural Network Model of Caenorhabditis elegans: The Circuit of Touch Sensitivity,” Neural Processing Letters, Vol.6, pp. 91-98, 1997.
-  T. C. Ferrée, and S. R. Lockery, “Computational Rules for Chemotaxis in the Nematode C. elegans,” Journal of Comp. Neurosci., Vol.6, pp. 263-277, 1999.
-  Cybernetic Caenorhabditis Elegans Program (CCEP) ed., “Study on the Nervous System of C. elegans as a Biological Information System,” Annual Report of CCEP, Keio Future, Keio University, Yokohama, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  J. Bryden, and N. Cohen, “A Simulation Model of the Locomotion Controllers for the Nematode C. elegans,” From animals to animats 8 (Proc. of the eighth International Conference on the Simulation of Adaptive Behavior), pp. 183-192, 2004.
-  M. Suzuki, T. Tsuji, and H. Ohtake, “A Model of Motor Control of the Nematode C. elegans with Neuronal Circuits,” Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, 2005 (in press).
-  M. Suzuki, T. Goto, T. Tsuji, and H. Ohtake, “A Motor Control Model of the Nematode C. elegans,” Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics 2004, p. 299, 2004.
-  S. R. Lockery, and T. J. Sejnowski, “The Computational Leech,” Trends in Neuroscience, Vol.16, No.7, pp. 283-290, 1993.
-  Ö. Ekeberg, “A Combined Neuronal and Mechanical Model of Fish Swimming,” Biol. Cybern., Vol.69, pp. 363-374, 1993.
-  Ö. Ekeberg, A. Lansner, and S. Grillner, “The Neural Control of Fish Swimming Studied Through Numerical Simulations,” Adaptive Behavior, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 363-384, 1995.
-  A. J. Ijspeert, “A Connectionist Central Pattern Generator for the Aquatic and Terrestrial Gaits of a Simulated Salamander,” Biol. Cybern., Vol.84, pp. 331-348, 2001.
-  A. K. Kozlow, F. Ullen, P. Fagerstedt, E. Aurell, A. Lansner, and S. Grillner, “Mechanisms for Lateral Turns in Lamprey in Response to Descending Unilateral Commands: a Modelimg Study,” Biol. Cybern., Vol.86, pp. 1-14, 2002.
-  J. E. Sulston, E. Schierenberg, J. G. White, and J. N. Thomson, “The Embryonic Cell Lineage of the Nematode Caenorhabditis elegans,” Developmental Biology, Vol.100, pp. 64-119, 1983.
-  J. G. White, E. Southgate, J. N. Thomson, and S. Brenner, “The Structure of the Nervous System of Nematode Caenorhabditis elegans,” Phil. Trans. Royal Soc. London, series B, Boil. Scien. Vol.314, Issue 1165, pp. 1-340, 1986.
-  The C. elegans Sequencing Consortium, “Genome Sequence of the Nematode C. elegans: A Platform for Investigating Biology,” Science, Vol.282, pp. 2012-2018, 1998.
-  N. A. Croll, “Components and Patterns in the Behaviour of the Nematode Caenorhabditis elegans,” Journal of Zoology, London, Vol.176, pp. 159-176, 1975.
-  D. L. Riddle, T. Blumenthal, B. J. Meyer, and J. R. Priess, “C. elegans II,” Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, 1998.
-  K. Matsuoka, “Mechanisms of Frequency and Pattern Control in the Neural Rhythm Generators,” Biol. Cybern., Vol.56, pp. 345-353, 1987.
-  N. Hogan, “Adaptive Control of Mechanical Impedance by Coactivation of Antagonist Muscles,” IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, Vol.AC-29, No.8, pp. 681-690, 1984.
-  Y. Umetani, and S. Hirose, “Biomechanical Study of Serpentine Locomotion,” Proc. 1st RoManSy Symp., Springer-Verlag, pp. 171-184, 1974.
-  V. Potkonjak, and M. Vukobratovic, “Two New Methods for Computer Forming of Dynamic Equation of Active Mechanisms,” Mech Mach Theory, Vol.14, pp. 189-200, 1979.
-  W. H. Press, S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Vetterling, and B. P. Flannery, “Numerical Recipes in C: The Art of Scientific Computing,” Cambridge University Press, 1993.
-  Scion Corporation,
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.