High-Integration Micromotor Using Electro-Conjugate Fluid (ECF)
Shinichi Yokota*, Kiyomi Kawamura*, Kenjiro Takemura*,
and Kazuya Edamura**
*Precision and Intelligence Laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 Nagatsuta-cho, Midori-ku, Yokohama 226-8503, Japan
**New Technology Management Co., Ltd., 2-9-1-306 Higashi-Shinkoiwa, Katsushika-ku, Tokyo 124-0023, Japan
Electro-conjugate fluid (ECF) is a dielectric fluid, that produces a powerful jet flow (ECF jet) when high DC voltage is applied between electrodes inserted in the fluid, realizing a new simplified, lightweight micromotor. We previously developed a disk-plate type ECF micromotor with inner diameter of 9mm. Here we discuss a high-integration ECF micromotor with an inner diameter of 5mm to improve output power density, designing and fabricating ECF micromotors with 4-layer and 8-layer disk-plate rotors, then measured motor performance. Experimental results confirm motors had higher power density than previous ECF micromotors, with output power density 2.3 times higher than previous.
-  T. Higuchi, “Future of New Actuators,” J. Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.21, No.7, pp. 2-5, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Otsubo, and K. Edamura, “Dielectric Fluid Motors,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol.71, No.3, pp. 318-320, 1997.
-  S. Jeong, J. Seyed-Yagoobi, and P. Atten, “Theoretical/Numerical Study of Electrohydrodynamic Pumping Through Conduction Phenomenon,” IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, Vol.39, No.2, pp. 355-361, 2003.
-  S. Yokota, Y. Kondoh, A. Sadamoto, Y. Otsubo, and K. Edamura, “A Micro Motor Using Electro-conjugate Fluids (ECF) (Proposition of Stator Electrode-type (SE-type) Micro ECF Motors),” Int. J. JSME Ser.C, Vol.44, No.3, pp. 756-762, 2001.
-  S. Yokota, “A 2mm ECF micromotor,” Proc. 7th Int. Conf. Mechatronics Technology (ICMT’03), pp. 361-366, 2003.
-  S. Yokota, S. Kuwajima, and K. Edamura, “Realization of a Higher Integrated Multi-layered DP-RE-type ECF Micro-Motor,” Trans. The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Ser.C, Vol.70, No.693, pp. 239-245, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  R. Abe, and S. Yokota, “A Micro Actuator using ECF-Jet with Needle-type Electrode,” Proc. FLUCOME’03, CD-ROM, 2003.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.