High-Integration Micromotor Using Electro-Conjugate Fluid (ECF)
Shinichi Yokota*, Kiyomi Kawamura*, Kenjiro Takemura*,
and Kazuya Edamura**
*Precision and Intelligence Laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 Nagatsuta-cho, Midori-ku, Yokohama 226-8503, Japan
**New Technology Management Co., Ltd., 2-9-1-306 Higashi-Shinkoiwa, Katsushika-ku, Tokyo 124-0023, Japan
Electro-conjugate fluid (ECF) is a dielectric fluid, that produces a powerful jet flow (ECF jet) when high DC voltage is applied between electrodes inserted in the fluid, realizing a new simplified, lightweight micromotor. We previously developed a disk-plate type ECF micromotor with inner diameter of 9mm. Here we discuss a high-integration ECF micromotor with an inner diameter of 5mm to improve output power density, designing and fabricating ECF micromotors with 4-layer and 8-layer disk-plate rotors, then measured motor performance. Experimental results confirm motors had higher power density than previous ECF micromotors, with output power density 2.3 times higher than previous.
and Kazuya Edamura, “High-Integration Micromotor Using Electro-Conjugate Fluid (ECF),” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.17, No.2, pp. 142-148, 2005.
-  T. Higuchi, “Future of New Actuators,” J. Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.21, No.7, pp. 2-5, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Otsubo, and K. Edamura, “Dielectric Fluid Motors,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol.71, No.3, pp. 318-320, 1997.
-  S. Jeong, J. Seyed-Yagoobi, and P. Atten, “Theoretical/Numerical Study of Electrohydrodynamic Pumping Through Conduction Phenomenon,” IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, Vol.39, No.2, pp. 355-361, 2003.
-  S. Yokota, Y. Kondoh, A. Sadamoto, Y. Otsubo, and K. Edamura, “A Micro Motor Using Electro-conjugate Fluids (ECF) (Proposition of Stator Electrode-type (SE-type) Micro ECF Motors),” Int. J. JSME Ser.C, Vol.44, No.3, pp. 756-762, 2001.
-  S. Yokota, “A 2mm ECF micromotor,” Proc. 7th Int. Conf. Mechatronics Technology (ICMT’03), pp. 361-366, 2003.
-  S. Yokota, S. Kuwajima, and K. Edamura, “Realization of a Higher Integrated Multi-layered DP-RE-type ECF Micro-Motor,” Trans. The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Ser.C, Vol.70, No.693, pp. 239-245, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  R. Abe, and S. Yokota, “A Micro Actuator using ECF-Jet with Needle-type Electrode,” Proc. FLUCOME’03, CD-ROM, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.