Mine Remote Sensing Using a Working Robot
Nobuhiro Shimoi*, and Yoshihiro Takita**
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Tokyo National College of Technology, 1220-2 Kunugida-machi, Hachioji-shi, Tokyo 193-0997, Japan
**Department of Computer Science, National Defense Academy, 1-10-20 Hashirimizu, Yokosuka, Kanagawa 293-8686, Japan
In conducting mine detection experiments using our prototype robot COMET-1, we developed end effectors on the robot’s working legs. When detecting a mine, a robot must step safely and stably without hitting it. For this study, we created a simulation model to test the movement of a robot having an optical proximity sensor on each foot and used a walking algorithm having compliance control. We verified its efficiency in walking experiments. We also studied the use of remote sensing technology with an IR camera combined with other sensors. Tests with trial mines were used to study the detection of an IR camera and studied technologies for collecting and processing image data in real time for optimum mine detection.
-  K. Furuta, K. Nonami, N. Shimoi et al., “The study of humanitarian mine detecting and demining technology,” Science Council of Japan, pp. 1-38, 2000.
-  JCBL (NGO), “Land mine monitor report,” Japan Land Mine Ban Campaign, pp. 3-40, 1999.
-  N. Shimoi, “The Subject NGO of the technology for mine detecting,” JSME 99, D&D, Vol.B99-7, pp. 277-280.
-  D. Komizo, Q. J. Huang, H. Uchida, N. Shimoi, and K. Nonami, “Motion Control and CAE Based Simulation of Locomotion Robot with Six Legs for Mine Detection,” Proc. of the 42 Joint Conference on Automatic Control, Chiba, pp. 95-96, 1999 (in Japanese).
-  N. Shimoi, and K. Nonami, “Mine detecting technology using IR camera,” CICE, No.42, pp. 34-36, 1999.
-  N. Shimoi, S. Koga, K. Itoh et al., “Vibration reduction study with air-cushion,” CICE, Vol.33, No.5, pp. 337-343, 1997.
-  N. Shimoi, Q. Huang, H. Uchida, D. Komizo, and K. Nonami, “The smart sensing for mine detection using IR camera,” JSME ROBOMEC’2000, pp. 93-94.
-  AGEMA In frat systems, “Primer of Infrared technology,” Nacc, pp. 18-126, 1986.
-  N. Shimoi, “The Technology of Personnel Mine Detecting for Humanitarian De-mining,” SICE Vol.37, No.6, pp. 577-583, 2001.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.