Development of Cellular Manufacturing System Based on Movable Cells
Yoshiki Shimomura*, Fabio Noriyuki Takada**,
and Tetsuo Tomiyama***
*Research into Artifacts, Center for Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8904, Japan
**GRUPO LIBERCON, Av. Paulista, 807 - 25o Andar - Cerqueira Cesar Sao Paulo - SP - Brasil - CEP: 01311-915
***Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Marine Technology, Delft University of Technology, Mekelweg 2, 2628 CD Delft, The Netherlands
In contrast to current highly centralized systems, we propose cellular machines, which are mechanical systems consisting of a minimum kind of autonomous distributed intelligent units, called cells, with no central control. We introduce the concept of movable cells to improve robustness against faults and flexibility of a previous system. We discuss the development of new cellular manufacturing system consisting of movable cells by introducing functional expandability and hardware prototyping results.
and Tetsuo Tomiyama, “Development of Cellular Manufacturing System Based on Movable Cells,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.17, No.1, pp. 27-35, 2005.
-  T. Tomiyama, T. Sakao, Y. Umeda, and Y. Baba, “The Post-Mass Production Paradigm, Knowledge Intensive Engineering, and Soft Machines,” in F.-L. Krause, and H. Jansen (eds.), “Life Cycle Modeling for Innovative Products and Processes,” pp. 369-380, Chapman & Hall, London, 1995.
-  Y. Umeda, T. Tomiyama, T. Sakao, and Y. Shimomura, “Design Methodology for Self-Maintenance Machines,” in J. Lee, and H. P. Wang (eds), “Computer-Aided Maintenance,” pp. 117-135, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1999.
-  S. Kondoh, Y. Umeda, T. Tomiyama, and H. Yoshikawa, “Self Organization of Cellular Manufacturing Systems,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.49(1), pp. 347-350, 2000.
-  A. Kusiak, “The generalized group technology concept,” International Journal of Production Research, 25(4), pp. 561-569, 1987.
-  F. Oba, Y. Zhu, and T. Murayama, “A tool allocation method based on group technology and heuristics,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (Series C), 56(530), pp. 230-235, JSME, 1990 (in Japanese).
-  S. Song, and K. Hitomi, “A GT cell formation based on material flow for designing GT a cell layout,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (Series C), 57(536), pp. 319-327, JSME, 1991 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Umeda, Y. Shimomura, T. Tomiyama, and H. Yoshikawa, “Using Functional Maintenance to Improve Fault Tolerance,” IEEE Expert, Vol.2, No.3, pp. 25-31, 1994.
-  R. Sato, S. Kondoh, T. Sakao, Y. Umeda, and T. Tomiyama, “Development of cellular machines – cellular manufacturing system,” Proceedings of the 1998 JSPE Autumn Meeting, p. 614, 1998.
-  F. Takada, K. Doi, Y. Shimomura, and T. Tomiyama, “Development of movable cellular manufacturing system – 1st report – strategy design for movable cells,” Proceedings of the 2002 Robotic Mechatronics Meeting, JSME, 2002.
-  K. M. Gardiner, “Trends and perspectives: An integrated design strategy for future manufacturing systems,” Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 15(1), pp. 52-61, 1996.
-  Y. Shimomura, H. Hasunuma, K. Makino, M. Koyama, Y. Nakano, and Y. Ohtsuki, “A control method for gathering patterns of multiple micromachines,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.12, No.2, pp. 158-164, 2000.
-  L. Roos, “Resource Allocated Production,” Almqvist and Wiksell, Sweden, 1992.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.