Loose Robot Communication over the Internet
Makoto Oya*, Keitaro Naruse**, Masahiko Narita***,
Taku Okuno*, Masahiro Kinoshita****,
and Yukinori Kakazu*
*Hokkaido University, N14, W9, Kita-ku, Sapporo 060-0814, Japan
**The University of Aizu, Tsuruga, Ikki-machi, Aizu-Wakamatsu, Fukushima 965-8580, Japan
***Fujitsu Limited, 2-15-16 Shin-Yokohama, Kohoku-ku, Yokohama 222-0033, Japan
****Hokkaido Institute of Technology, 4-1, 7-15, Maeda, Teine-ku, Sapporo 006-8585, Japan
As robot technology is disseminated from special fields such as factory production to everyday fields such as home use, community work, and entertainment, working space of robots also expands from dedicated area such as factory sites to ordinary living space. Combining this technology shift and the popularized public Internet suggests the emergence of new robot applications. The Internet, however, as its nature, is not suitable for tight coupling of processes among robots and computers. An approach different from simple expansion of current robot communication technology is thus necessary. After discussing the essentials of communication, i.e., closed and open networks, and tight and loose couplings of processes, we propose combining Web Services technology and autonomous robot technology. We present several cases to examine this approach. The applicability of Web Services to robot communication is confirmed through implementation. Feasible applications are studied using application instances combining autonomous robots with the Internet. Feasibility is also examined from Web Services technology point of view.
Taku Okuno, Masahiro Kinoshita, and
and Yukinori Kakazu, “Loose Robot Communication over the Internet,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.16, No.6, pp. 626-634, 2004.
-  M. Fujita, K. Kageyama, K. Sabe, and K. Oyama, “On the Development Environment of Robot Entertainment System: Open-R,” Journal of Robot Society Japan, Vol.21, No.6, pp. 596-601, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  F. Ozaki, J. Oaki, H. Sato, H. Hashimoto, and N. Matsuhira, “Open Robot Controller Architecture,” Journal of Robot Society Japan, Vol.21, No.6, pp. 602-608, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  F. Kanehiro, “Open Architecture Humanoid Robotics Platform ‘OpenHRP’ and its Application,” Journal of Robot Society Japan, Vol.21, No.6, pp. 609-614, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  M. Mizukawa, “ORiN: Open Resource interface for the Network/Open Robot interface for the Network,” Journal of Robot Society Japan, Vol.21, No.6, pp. 585-590, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  K. Kitagaki, “Manipulation System: Takumi and Ume,” Journal of Robot Society Japan, Vol.21, No.6, pp. 615-620, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  M. Narita, K. Naruse, and M. Oya, “RoboLink: A Robot Collaboration Protocol based on Web Services,” ICAM’04, JSME/No.05-204, ISSN:1348-8961, pp. 442-448, 2004.
-  M. Narita et al., “RoboLink Protocol Specification Public Draft v1.1,”
2003 (in Japanese).
-  T. Berners-Lee et al., “Hyper Text Transfer Protocol HTTP/1.1,” W3C Recommendation, 1999.
-  D. Booth et al., “Web Services Architecture,” W3C Note, 2004.
-  M. Gudgin et al., “SOAP version 1.2,” W3C Recommendation, 2003.
-  OASIS ebXML, “Messaging Services Technical Committee, ebXML messaging service specification version 2.0,” UN/CEFACT and OASIS, 2002.
-  A. Nadalin et al., “Web Services Security,” OASIS Standard, 2004.
-  T. Andrews et al., “Business Process Execution Language for Web Services Version 1.1,”
-  T. Sato, K. Naruse, M. Kinoshita, H. Yokoi, and Y. Kakazu, “Development of Autonomous Snowplow,” Intelligent Engineering System Through Artificial Neural Networks, Vol.13, pp. 877-882, ASME Press, 2003.
-  M. Saito, K. Naruse, and Y. Kakazu, “Analysis on Relation between AIBO Motion and Impression by Statistical Method,” Technical Report of IEICE, Vol.103, No.166, pp. 23-28, Jul. 3-4, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  M. Kinoshita, M. Oya, T. Kawakami, M. Watababe, M. Furukawa, I. Kinjo, and Y. Kakazu, “Smart Control for Collective Agents,” Intelligent Engineering Systems through Artificial Neural Networks, Vol.14, pp. 183-188, 2004.
-  T. Okuno, and M. Oya, “An OpenSOAP based Framework for Robot Communication,” ICAM’04, JSME/No.05-204, ISSN:1348-8961, pp. 436-441, 2004.
-  M. Oya, and Y. Kakazu, “Automatic Business Process Generation in the Autonomous Web Services Environment,” IAS-8, pp. 112-119, 2004.
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.