Realization of All 7 Motions for the Upper Limb by a Muscle Suit
Hiroshi Kobayashi*,**, Taichi Shiiba*, and Yujiro Ishida*
*Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Science University of Tokyo, 1-3 Kagurazaka, Shinjuku, Tokyo 162-8601, Japan
**JST, PRESTO21, 4-1-8 Honchou, Kawaguchi, Saitama, Japan
A “muscle suit” that provides muscular support for those paralyzed or otherwise unable to move unaided is being developed. The absence of a metal frame and use of McKibben artificial muscles makes the suit lightweight enough for practical use. We propose an armor-like suit and abduction motion is realized. Because it is difficult to implement all upper limb motion in an armor-like suit, we use mechanical joints and a hard frame and all motion is achieved for the upper limb.
-  H. Kobayashi, J. Aoki, H. Hosono, T. Matsushita, Y. Ishida, K. Kikuchi, and M. Koseki, “Concept of Wear-type Muscular Support Apparatus (Muscle Suit),” Proceedings of the 2002 IEEE International Conference on Robotics & Automation, pp. 3236-3241, May 2002.
-  H. Kobayashi, T. Matsushita, Y. Ishida, and K. Kikuchi, “New Robot Technology Concept Applicable to Human Physical Support –The Concept and Possibility of the Muscle Suit (Wearable Muscular Support Apparatus)–,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.14, No.1, pp. 46-53, 2002.
-  H. Kazerooni, “Extender: A Case Study for Human-Robot Interaction via Transfer of Power and Information Signals,” Proceedings of IEEE International Workshop on Robot and Human Communication, pp. 10-20, Nov. 1993.
-  K. Yamamoto, H. Hyodo, and T. Matsuo, “Powered Suit for Assisting Nurse Labor,” Fluid Power (Proc. 3rd International Symposium on Fluid Power), SHPS, pp. 415-420, 1996.
-  T. Koyama, M. Q. Feng, and T. Tanaka, “Wearable Human Assisting Robot for Nursing Use,” Machine Intelligence and Robotic Control, Vol.2, No.4, pp. 163-168, 2000.
-  K. Kiguchi, R. Esaki, T. Tsuruta, K. Watanabe, and T. Fukuda, “An Exoskeleton for Human Elbow and Forearm Motion Assist,” Proceedings of the 2003 IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Oct. 27-31, Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A, pp. 3600-3605, Oct. 2003.
-  C. P. Chou, and B. Hannaford, “Measurement and Modelling of McKibben Pneumatic Artificial Muscles,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, Vol.12, pp. 90-102, Feb. 1996.
-  H. F. Schulte Jr, “The characteristics of the McKibben artificial muscle,” The Application of external power in prosthetics and orthotics, National Academy of Sciences-National Research Council, Washington D.C., 1961.
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.