Self-Assisted Care System for Human Mobility
Teruhisa Onishi*, Tatsuo Arai**, Kenji Inoue**,
and Yasushi Mae**
*Tsuyama National College of Technology, 624-1 Numa, Tsuyama, Okayama 708-8509, Japan
**Osaka University, 1-3 Machikaneyama, Toyonaka, Osaka 560-8531, Japan
Since humans are bipedal, it is easy to become bedridden when the hip and legs become weakened or disabled due to aging or other causes. If such physically challenged people are enabled to get up from bed and move to a nearby location, however, they could use their arms and hands to do certain tasks such as taking meals or writing. In this paper, we propose a wearable device for supporting the human body that can be easily worn or removed by means of a body-holding device. The hoisting device has an arm which, as an end-effector, supports the body and allows the user to rise from bed and lie down again. In addition, a three-point fixing mechanism is used to maintain the user’s sitting posture at a desk, and to realize an integrated self-assisted care system.
and Yasushi Mae, “Self-Assisted Care System for Human Mobility,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.16, No.5, pp. 464-472, 2004.
-  Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, “The senior citizen care that aimed for 2015,”
-  K. Yamakoshi, “Guidebook of Health-care and Welfare Technology,” Japanese Industrial Standards Committee, pp. 145-155, 2001.
-  Japan Wellness and Welfare Industry Association, “An investigation study about standardization of a welfare tool / a system entrusted with in 2002 by Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry,” pp. 17-24, 2002.
-  S. Ishii, “Meal-assistance Robot “My Spoon”,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.21, No.4, pp. 44-47, 2003.
-  E. Nakano, T. Arai, K. Yamaba, S. Hashimoto et al., “MEL-KONG,” Proc. of 11th Inten. Symp. on Industrial Robots, p. 87, 1981.
-  Japan Logic machine Co., “Regina,”
-  T. Aoki, and K. Taguchi, “A Study of Human-Assist-Robot –Development of a Prototype Robot for Nursing Use–,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.21, No.2, pp. 157-163, 2003.
-  T. Koyama, K. Yamafuji, and T. Tanaka, “Wearable Human-Assisting System for Nursing Use,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (C), Vol.66, No.651, pp. 155-160, 2000.
-  M. Ishii, K. Yamamoto, K. Hyoudou, and T. Matsuo, “Control of Power Assisting Suit for Assisting Nurse Labor,” Proceeding of the 18th Annual Conference of the Robotics Society of Japan, pp. 565-566, 2000.
-  H. Rouvillois, “Lifting frame for body of patient,” Derwent Scientific and Patent Informaiton, FR 2693902-A1, 1994.
-  M. D. Costello, “Assistive Lifting, Stand and Walking Device,” United States Patent, Patent Number 5502851, 1996.
-  M. Fujie, “Nowadays and Future in the Research and Development for Welfare Equipments,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.21, No.4, pp. 1-5, 2003.
-  T. Onishi, “Jintai kaigo souchi,” Japan Patent, Patent Number 3172442, 2001.
-  T. Onishi, “Device for Holding Human Body,” United States Patent, Patent Number 6105184, 2000.
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.