Development of Straight Style Transfer Equipment for Lower Limbs Disabled: Verification of Basic Motion
Yoshikazu Mori*, Kazuhiro Takayama**, Takeshi Zengo***,
and Tatsuya Nakamura*
*Graduate School of Engineering, Tokyo Metropolitan University, 1-1 Minami-Osawa, Hachioji, Tokyo 192-0397, Japan
**Engineering Development Department B6, Honda R&D Co., Ltd., Tochigi R&D Center, 4630 Shimotakanezawa, Haga-machi, Haga-gun, Tochigi 321-3393, Japan
***IJ Technology Development Center Technology & Development Group, Fuji Xerox Co., Ltd. 2274 Hongo, Ebina-shi, Kanagawa 243-0494, Japan
We developed straight style transfer equipment for a person with disabled legs. It realizes travel in a standing state even on uneven ground, standing-up motion from a seated position, and ascending stairs. This equipment comprises three modules: a pair of telescopic crutches, a powered lower extremity orthosis, and a pair of mobile platforms. We detail the conceptual design of the equipment and the motion of each module. Cooperative operations using three modules are discussed through simulations. We verified travel in a standing state, including rotation, and standing-up motion from a chair through experiments using prototypes of telescopic crutches and mobile platforms.
and Tatsuya Nakamura, “Development of Straight Style Transfer Equipment for Lower Limbs Disabled: Verification of Basic Motion,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.16, No.5, pp. 456-463, 2004.
-  Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare Official Web Site, “Physically handicapped child and person field study result,”
-  Yobotics, “RoboWalker,”
-  S. Lee, and Y. Sankai, “Power Assist Control for Walking Aid with HAL-3 Based on EMG and Impedance Adjustment around Knee Joint,” IROS, pp. 1499-1504, 2002.
-  H. Kawamoto, and Y. Sankai, “Power assist control for leg with hal-3 based on virtual torque and impedance adjustment,” Proc. of IEEE SMC, TP1B3 (CD-ROM), 2002.
-  K. Ikeda, T. Iwatsuki, and S. Kajita, “Basic Study on an Ambulatory Apparatus with Weight Bearing Control,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering Laboratory, Vol.52, No.4, pp. 1-8, 1998.
-  A. Betto, H. Yano, S. Kaneko, H. Torii, and S. Fujitani, “Development of ambulatory apparatus euipped with function of weight bearing control system (WBC Orthoses Series),” Japanese Society of Prosthetics and Orthotics, pp. 41-48, 1998.
-  Y. Mori, K. Takayama, R. Tsukamoto, and T. Nakamura, “Development of a Straight Style Transfer Equipment with Crutches Substituting for an Electric Wheelchair,” The 2nd JSME Symposium on Welfare Engineering, pp. 273-275, 2002.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.