Control of a Handwriting Robot with DOF Redundancy Based on Feedback in Task Coordinates
Hiroe Hashiguchi, Suguru Arimoto, and Ryuta Ozawa
Department of Robotics, Ritsumeikan University, 1-1-1 Noji-Higashi, Kusatsu, Shiga 525-8577, Japan
To enhance robot hand dexterity, it is said that the robot should be designed to have a redundant number of degrees of freedom. In redundant robotic systems, inverse kinematics from task description space to joint space becomes ill-posed, making it difficult to determine joint motions. To avoid this ill-posedness, most proposed methods introduce an additional input term calculated from an intentionally introduced artificial index of performance. We propose a 4 DOF redundant handwriting robot using novel simple control to solve the problem of ill-posedness based on sensory feedback. We demonstrate the effectiveness of proposed control in computer simulation of closed-loop dynamics with the constraint that the robot’s endpoint be always on a two-dimensional plane.
-  D. E. Whitney, “Resolved motion rate control of manipulators and human protheses,” IEEE Trans. Man-Machine Syst., Vol.MMS-10, No.2, pp. 47-53, 1969.
-  A. Liegeois, “Automatic supervisory control of the configuration and behavior of multibody mechanism,” IEEE Trans. Systems, Man, and Cybern., Vol.SMC-7, No.12, pp. 868-871, 1977.
-  M. Vukobratoric, and M. Kircanski, “Kinematics and Trajectory Synthesis of Manipulatin Robots,” Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany, 1986.
-  L. Sciavicco, and B. Siciliano, “A solution algorithm to the inverse kinematic problem for redundant manipulators,” IEEE J. of Robotics and Automation, Vol.4, No.4, pp. 403-410, 1988.
-  E. Thelen, and L. B. Smith, “A Dynamic Systems Approach to the Development of Cogniton and Action,” The MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1993.
-  S. Arimoto, J.-H. Bae, and K. Tahara, “Dynamic stable pinching by a pair of robot fingers,” Proc. of the 2nd IFAC Conf. on Mechatronic Systems, Berkeley, Cal., USA, pp. 731-736, 2002.
-  S. Arimoto, K. Tahara, J.-H. Bae, and M. Yoshida, “A stability theory of a manifold: concurrent realization of grasp and orientation control of an object by a pair of robot fingers,” Robotica, Vol.21, No.2, pp. 163-178, 2003.
-  S. Arimoto, M. Yoshida, J.-H. Bae, and K. Tahara, “Dynamic force/torque balance of 2D polygonal objects by a pair of rolling contacts and sensory-motor coodination,” J. of Robotic Systems, Vol.20, No.9, 2003.
-  V. Potkonjak, M. Popovic, M. Lazarevic, and J. Sinanovic, “Redundancy problem in writing: from human to authropomorphic robot arm,” IEEE Trans. Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol.28, No.6, pp. 790-805, 1998.
-  S. Arimoto, “Control Theory of nonlinear Mechanical Systems: A Passivity-based and Circuit-theoretic Approach,” Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, UK, 1996.
-  J. J. Slotine, and W. Li, “On the adaptive control of robot manipulators,” Int. J. of Robotic Research, Vol.6, pp. 49-59, 1987.
-  R. Kelly, “Comments on ‘Adaptive PD controller for robot manipulators’,” IEEE Trans. Robotics and Automation, Vol.9, pp. 117-119, 1993.
-  J. Baumgarte, “Stabilization of constraints and integrals of motion in dynamical systems,” Compute. Math. Appl. Mech. Eng., Vol.1, No.1, pp. 1-16, 1972.
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.