Torque Control in Harmonic Drives with Nonlinear Dynamic Friction Compensation
Department of Electrical Engineering, School of Engineering, American University of Sharjah, P.O. Box 26666, Sharjah, UAE
This paper proposes a nonlinear observer-based controller designed to compensate for friction in harmonic drives with hysteresis. Hysteresis in a harmonic drive is described by a nonlinear differential equation representing the combination of nonlinear stiffness and nonlinear friction. Nonmeasurable friction is derived using a nonlinear observer to provide asymptotic stability and position tracking. The performance of the proposed system is confirmed by computer simulation.
-  B. A. Helouvry, P. Dupont, and C. Canuda, “A Survey of Models, Analysis Tools and Compensation Methods for the Control of Machines with Friction,” Automatica, Vol.30, No.7, pp. 1083-1138, 1994.
-  C. de Wit, H. Olsson, K. J. Astrom, and P. Lischinsky, “A New Model for Control of Systems with Friction,” IEEE Transactions On Automatic Control, Vol.40, No.3, pp. 419-425, March 1995.
-  P. Vedagarbha, D. M. Dawson, and M. Feemster, “Tracking Control of Mechanical Systems in the Presence of Nonlinear Dynamic Friction Effects,” IEEE Transactions On Control Systems Technology, Vol.7, No.4, pp. 446-456, July 1999.
-  U. Schafer, and G. Branderburg, “Model Reference Position Control of an Elastic Two mass System with Compensation of Coulomb Friction,” Proceeding of the American Control Conference, San Francisco, California, pp. 1937-1941, June 1993.
-  B. Friedland, and Y. J. Park, “On Adaptive Friction Compensation,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol.37, No.10, pp. 1609-1612, October 1992.
-  B. Friedland, S. Mentzelopoulou, and Y. J. Park, “Friction Estimation in Multimass Systems,” Proceeding of the American Control Conference, San Francisco, California, pp. 1927-1931, June 1993.
-  R. Dhaouadi, P. Gandhi, and F. Ghorbel, “Dynamic Modeling of Hysteresis in Harmonic Drives,” CDROM proceedings of the 9th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications EPE2001, Graz, Austria, File No. PP00225, August 2001.
-  R. Dhaouadi, “Analysis and Compensation of Hysteresis in Harmonic Drives,” Proceedings of the 45th International Conference Power Electronics/Intelligent Motion/Power Quality, PCIM’2002 Europe, Nuremberg, Germany, Paper No. IM2-7, May 2002.
-  R. Dhaouadi, F. Ghorbel, and P. Gandhi, “A New Dynamic Model of Hysteresis in Harmonic Drives,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol.50, No.6, pp. 1165-1171, Dec. 2003.
-  R. Dhaouadi, “Nonlinear Friction Compensation in Harmonic Drives with Hysteresis,” Proceeding of the IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM2003), Kobe, Japan, pp. 278-283, July 2003.
-  A. R. Benaskeur, and A. Desbiens, “Backstepping-Based Adaptive PID Control,” IEE Proceedings on Control Theory and Applications – Special Issue on PID Control, Vol.149, No.1, pp. 54-59, 2002.
-  H. K. Khalil, “Nonlinear Systems,” Second Edition, Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, 1996.
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.