Adaptive Modular Vector Field Control for Robot Contact Tasks in Uncertain Environments
Yohei Saitoh*, Zhiwei Luo**, and Keiji Watanabe*,**
*Dept. of Bio-Systems Engineering, Yamagata University, 4-3-16 Jonan, Yonezawa-shi, Yamagata, Japan
**Bio-Mimetic Control Research Center, RIKEN, 2271-130 Anagahora, Shimoshidami, Moriyama-ku, Nagoya, Japan
We propose adaptive modular vector field control (AMVFC) for a robot manipulator to interact with uncertain environmental geometric constraints. Starting from an uncertain geometric model of the environment, we first parameterize the desired velocity vector field of the robot using the weighted combination of a set of basis vector fields. Then, to overcome the influence of environmental model uncertainty, we add force feedback to adjust robot dynamics and the weight parameters of the desired velocity field for the robot to approach the real environment. Simulation of a robot interacting with uncertain circles and an ellipse demonstrates the effectiveness of our approach.
-  N. Hogan, “Impedance Control: An Approach to Manipulation: Part I-III,” ASME J. Dynam. Syst. Meas. Contr., Vol.107, pp. 1-24, 1985.
-  Y. Kishi, Z. W. Luo, F. Asano, and S. Hosoe, “Passive Impedance Control with Time-varying Impedance Center,” Proc. of The 5th IEEE Int. Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Robotics and Automation (CIRA2003), 2003.
-  M. H. Raibert, and J. J. Craig, “Hybrid position/force control of manipulators,” ASME J. Dynam. Syst. Meas. Contr., Vol.102, pp. 126-133, 1981.
-  T. J. Tarn, N. Xi, and A. K Bejczy, “Path-based Approach to Integrated Planning and Control for Robotic Systems,” Automatica, Vol.32, No.12, pp. 1675-1687, 1996.
-  P. Y. Li, and R. Horowitz, “Passive Velocity Field Control of Mechanical Manipulators,” IEEE Trans. on Rob. Auto., Vol.15, No.4, pp. 751-763, 1999.
-  P. Y. Li, and R. Horowitz, “Passive Velocity Field Control Part I – Geometry and Robustness,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.46, No.9, 2001.
-  P. Y. Li, and R. Horowitz, “Passive Velocity Field Control Part II – Application to Contour Following,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.46, No.9, 2001.
-  P. Y. Li, “Adaptive Passive Velocity Field Control (PVFC) Approach to Robot Force Control and Contour Following,” Proc. of American Control Conference, San Diego, June 1999.
-  Z. W. Luo, K. Ito, and M. Yamakita, “Estimation of Environment Models Using Vector Field and its Application to Robot’s Task’s,” Proc. of IEEE Conf. On Neural Networks, pp. 2546-2549, 1995.
-  F. A. Mussa-Ivaldi, and S. F. Gister, “Vector Field Approximation: a Computational Paradigm for Motor Control and Learning,” Biol. Cybern. 67, pp. 491-500, 1992.
-  T. Odashima, Z. W. Luo, and S. Hosoe, “Hierarchical Control Structure of a Multi-Legged Robot for Environmental Adaptive Locomotion,” J. of Artificial Life and Robotics, Vol.6.
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.