An Analysis of Human Motion for Control of a Wearable Power Assist System
Satoshi Kawai, Keitaro Naruse, Hiroshi Yokoi,
and Yukinori Kakazu
Complex Systems Engineering, Hokkaido University, Kita-13 Nishi-8, Sapporo 060-8628, Japan
The purpose of this study is to build a control system for a wearable power assisting device, which helps people with lifting heavy things, like a person who can’t move alone in daily life. When we lift something heavy, we use both hands. That’s why a control system that can automatically switch on/off without using hands is necessary. In this study, we analyze human lifting up motion, and reveal characteristics of the motion, to find the suitable timing for switching the wearable power assisting device. Results show that the automatic switching can be realized.
-  T. Inoue, and N. Yamazaki, “Physical loads while using moving assisting devices,” Journal of the Society of Biomechanisms, Vol.25, No.3, pp. 123-129, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  J. Main, “Exoskeletons for Human Performance Augmentation,”
-  K. Yamamoto, K. Hyodo, M. Ishii, and T. Matsuo, “Development of Power Assisting Suit for Assisting Nurse Labor,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.67, No.657, pp. 1499-1506, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  K. Yamamoto, K. Hyodo, M. Ishii, T. Matsuo, and K. Sawada, “Load Cell and Rotary Actuator using Pressure Cuff,” FLUCOM2000, 2000.
-  S. Morishita, T. Tanaka, K. Yamafuji, and N. Kanamori, “Improvement of Maneuverability of the Man-Machine System for Wearable Nursing Robots,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.11, No.6, pp. 461- 467, 1999.
-  T. Aoki, and K. Taguchi, “A Study of Human-Assist-Robot –Development of a Prototype Robot for Nursing Use–,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.21, No.2, pp. 157-163, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  S. Lee, and Y. Sankai, “Power Assist Control for Walking Aid with HAL-3 Based on EMG and Impedance Adjustment around Knee Joint,” 2002 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS2002), pp. 1499-1504, 2002.
-  H. Kawamoto, and Y. Sankai, “Power Assist System HAL-3 for Gait Disorder Person,” LNCS 2398, p. 196, 2002.
-  D. B. Chaffin, G. B. J. Andersson, and B. J. Martin, “Occupational biomechanics third edition,” Wiley-interscience, 1999.
-  K. Naruse, S. Kawai, H. Yokoi, and Y. Kakazu, “Design of compact and lightweight wearable power assist device,” ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposion, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.