Development of a Universal Interface Board and its Application to Robot Controllers and Signal Processors
Masaaki Kumagai*, and Takashi Emura**
*Department of Mechanical Engineering at Tohoku Gakuin University, 1-13-1 Chuo, Tagajo, Miyagi 985-8537, Japan
**Bio-Robotics Department at Tohoku University, 01 Aramaki Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
Multipurpose digital interface boards for the PCI bus were designed for robot controllers. They used a programmable logic device reconfigured for internal circuits. The user plugs the board in, then downloads circuit data to obtain various interfaces. Optional modules such as analog front ends and support software also were developed. The board enables rapid prototyping and flexible use of high-speed digital circuits. Three applications of the board — robot interfaces of DC servomotors for a walking robot, high-speed digital signal processing for a motion capture system, and pipelined image processing units — showed the effectiveness of the board.
-  Fukushima et al., “Introduction of TITECH DRIVER and RITECH INTERFACE BOARD” (in Japanese), Proc of JSME Robomec’00, pp.1A1-01-003 (2000).
-  “OPENCORES.ORG,”
-  “Open Hardware site,”
-  “Inteco Ltd.,”
-  Yosuke Senta, Takashi Emura, Yoshiaki Noguchi, Masahiko Hiraki, Akira Arakawa, “Trotting Gait of a Quadruped Robot Using Parallel Crank-Slider Mechanism,” Proc. of 7th Int. conf. on Advanced Robotics, pp.406-411 (1995).
-  Masaaki Kumagai, Takashi Emura, “Development of Robot Control System Using Common Linux” (in Japanese), Journal of RSJ, Vol.20 No.2, pp.157-163 (2002).
-  Takashi Emura, Masaaki Kumagai, Ryota Nomura, “Development of Motion Capture System using Rotating Magnetic Field and Differential Magnetic Field” (in Japanese), Journal of SICE, Vol.38 No.2, Cpp.129-136 (2002).
-  Masaaki Kumagai, Takashi Emura, “Development of a Motion Capture System That Uses Alternating Field,” Proc. of SICE2002, WA16-3 (2002).
-  Takashi Komuro, Shingo W. Kagami, Idaku Ishii, Masatoshi Ishikawa, “Device and System Development of General Purpose Digital Vision Chip,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.12, No.5, pp.515-520 (2000) .
-  “Robot Development Engineering Laboratory - Universal Interface Board” (mainly written in Japanese),
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.