Study on In-Pipe Corrosion Diagnosis System -Corrosion Estimation Using Wavelet Transform and Two-dimensional Information-
Shintaro Sakamoto*, Toshio Fukuda**, Hironori Yui**,
Yasunori Abe*****, Yasuhisa Hasegawa***,
Futoshi Kobayashi****, and Fumihito Arai**
*Research and Development Center, Shinryo Corporation, 41 Wadai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 300-4247, Japan
**Department of Micro System Engineering, Nagoya University, 1 Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi 464-8603, Japan
***Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Gifu University, 1-1, Yanagido, Gifu 501-1193, Japan
****Department of Machine and System Science, Kobe University, 1-1 Rokkodai-cho, Nada-ku, Kobe-shi, Hyogo 657-8501, Japan
*****ForU Corporation Limited, 23/F., The Toy House100 Canton Road, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong
In line with changes in societal expectations, demand is increasing for building equipment inspection and diagnosis. The diagnosis of air-conditioning pipes is an important safeguard against unexpected problems such as pipe leakage. Estimating the shape of corrosion is very effective in determining its cause. We developed a method for estimating the shape of artificial corrosion, but could not apply it to natural corrosion because of the complex shape. We believed that it could be applied if pipe thickness was measured accurately. In this paper, we describe the method used to measure precise thickness, to detect individual echoes from overlapping data using wavelet transforms, and to select the echo at measuring points using data from surrounding points. We show the results of experiments in which we applied the method to natural corrosion in pipes.
Yasunori Abe, Yasuhisa Hasegawa,
Futoshi Kobayashi, and Fumihito Arai, “Study on In-Pipe Corrosion Diagnosis System -Corrosion Estimation Using Wavelet Transform and Two-dimensional Information-,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.16, No.1, pp. 71-79, 2004.
-  M. Ohno, “Ability of the latest facility diagnosis. Piping inspection using an ultrasonic wave, by robot,” Plant Engineer, pp.23-27, 1995.
-  Y. Kurosaki et al., “Automatic inspection system for piping corrosion,” Proceedings of The 1st Symposium on Construction Robotics in Japan, pp.379-384, 1990.
-  N. Mukai et al., “Automatic Inspection System for Piping Corrosion (Part 1. R&D Concept and System Outline,” Technical Papers of Annual Meeting of The Society of Heating, Air-Conditioning and Sanitary Engineering of Japan, pp.933-936, 1989).
-  S. Sakamoto et al., “Development of a Robot Manipulator for Pipe Flow Detection Using Ultrasonic Wave Echo,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (C), 69-688, pp.3316-3321, 2003.
-  S. Iwashita, S. Sakamoto et al., “Control of Parallel-Link Robot Manipulator for Pipe-Flaw Diagnosis,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (C), 69-688, pp.3309-3315, 2003.
-  T. Matsushima, “Case studies on the causes and curse of corrosion in building equipment,” BOUSHOKU GIJUTSU, Vol.39, pp.484-494, 1990.
-  Y. Yamada et al., “Pitting Corrosion of Copper Soft Tubes in Well Water,” ZAIRYOU-TO-KANKYO, Vol.48, No.10, pp.647-653, 1999.
-  Y. Shimizu, “Corrosion of piping and detection.5. Corrosion of stainless steel (SUS304) pipe,” Trans. of the Society of Heating, Air-Conditioning and Sanitary Engineers of Japan, Vol.68, No.4, pp.301-309, 1994.
-  T. Fukuda, H. Yui, S. Sakamoto et al., “In-Pipe Corrosion Diagnosis System (Estimation of the Type and Size of the Corrosion Using Two-Dimensional Ultrasonic Flaw Detector),” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (C), 68-666, pp.391-397, 2002.
-  Y. Goto et al., “In-Pipe Flaw Diagnosis by Wavelet Transform,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (C), 64-625, pp. 3342-3347, 1998.
-  Y. Fukuda, T. Kitagawa, “Classification of Ultrasonic Flaw Signals by Means of Time-Frequency Analysis. 2nd Report. Flaw Signals Classification by Single Ultrasonic Probe,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (C), 65-630, pp.636-643. 1999.
-  J. Takatsubo, M. Imade, “Visualization of Ultrasonic Wave Propagating around Artificial Defects,” Trans. of the Visualization Society of Japan, Vol.22, No.3, pp.23-27, 2002.
-  The Japanese Society for Non-Destructive Inspection, “Handbook of Non-Destructive Inspection,” pp.231, 1992.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.