Study on Recognition of Hand Waving
Kazue Nishihara, Noriyuki Kawarazaki, Tadashi Yoshidome,
and Qiang Gao
Kanagawa Institute of Technology, 1030 Shimo-Ogino, Atsugi-Shi, Kanagawa-Ken, 243-0292 Japan
Methods of recognition were compared in this paper for characteristic signals of hand waving gestures. Confused motions between “beckoning” and “waving away” were distinguished by characteristic signal mixing with a gravity motion and an area variation in the image of a moving hand. Their dynamic gestures are recognized by DP matching, wave difference, and other methods. Results were as follows: (1) taking the difference of a hand waving trajectory into account, the recognition ratio rose to more than 92.3%, (2) but by using categorized vectors to search for the same vectors in an input waving motion, it was made clear that the missed-recognition ratio between “beckoning” and “waving away” was suppressed.
and Qiang Gao, “Study on Recognition of Hand Waving,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.16, No.1, pp. 17-22, 2004.
-  N. Kashiwagi, K. Nishihara and N. Kawarazaki: “Manipulator Work System using Vision Sensors,” Proc. Robotics & Mecatronics, JSME, [No.98-4] 2Cll pp.1-7, 1998-6.
-  Y. Kuniyoshi, M. Inaba and H. Inoue, “Seeing, Understanding and Doing Human Task” : Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp.2-9,1992.
-  T. Yokokawa, et al, “Real Time Estimation Pointed Direction in 3D World using Visual Sensor,” Proc. Robotics & Mecatronics, JSME, [No.97-22] Vol.A, 1997.
-  K. Imagawa, et al, “Real Time Tracking of Human Hands from a Sign-Language Image Sequence in Consideration of Disappearance by Skin Regions,” Trans. Inst. of Elec. Inform. and Comm. Eng. D-II Vol.J81-D-II No.8 pp.1787-1795, 1998-8.
-  K. Nishihara, H. Kitajima and N. Kawarazaki, “A Feature Extraction and Recognition of Hand Waving Gestures by a Visual Camera,” Trans. JSME (in Japanese), C-67, 600, pp.215-221, 2001.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.