A Simple Procedure for Measuring Magma Rheology
Aika K. Kurokawa*,, Takahiro Miwa*, and Hidemi Ishibashi**
*National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Resilience (NIED)
3-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0006, Japan
**Department of Geosciences, Faculty of Science, Shizuoka University, Shizuoka, Japan
In this study, a procedure to measure the viscosity of multi-phase magma at high temperatures (>1000°C) was developed by using a simple apparatus comprising a commercially available desktop furnace and viscometer. In particular, the use of a disposable container enabled observations of the microstructure of an entire sample. The procedure was applied to basaltic andesite magma of the 1986 Izu–Oshima fissure eruption, Japan. The results show that reliable data, consistent with previous studies, were obtained and that the magma rheology became non-Newtonian with decreasing temperature, showing clear shear-thinning behavior. The rheological properties of the magma at 1180°C are quantitatively described as a function of shear rate based on three simple non-Newtonian fluid models. Sectional views of the sample confirm that plagioclase and Fe–Ti oxide crystals were nearly uniformly dispersed in the sample. The mean crystal volume fraction of 0.14 enabled crystal interactions inducing changes in crystal arrangement, affecting the rheology.
-  O. Melnik and R. S. J. Sparks, “Controls on conduit magma flow dynamics during lava dome building eruptions,” J. of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, Vol.110, No.B2, B02209, 2005.
-  L. Caricchi, L. Burlini, P. Ulmer, T. Gerya, M. Vassalli, and P. Papale, “Non-Newtonian rheology of crystal-bearing magmas and implications for magma ascent dynamics,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, Vol.264, No.3-4, pp. 402-419, 2007.
-  A. Vona, A. D. Piazza, E. Nicotra, C. Romano, M. Viccaro, and D. Giordano, “The complex rheology of megacryst-rich magmas: The case of the mugearitic “cicirara” lavas of Mt. Etna volcano,” Chemical Geology, No.458, pp. 48-67, 2017.
-  M. O. Chevrel, T. Platz, E. Hauber, D. Baratoux, Y. Lavallée, and D. B. Dingwell, “Lava flow rheology: A comparison of morphological and petrological methods,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, Vol.384, pp. 109-120, 2013.
-  H. Sato, “Viscosity measurement of subliquidus magmas: 1707 basalt of Fuji volcano,” J. of Mineralogical and Petrological Sciences, Vol.100, pp. 133-142, 2005.
-  H. M. Mader, E. W. Llewellin, and S. P. Mueller, “The rheology of two-phase magmas: A review and analysis,” J. of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, Vol.257, pp. 135-158, 2013.
-  J. Engmann and M. R. Mackley, “Semi-solid processing of chocolate and cocoa butter: the experimental correlation of process rheology with microstructure,” Food and Bioproducts Processing, Vol.84, No.2, pp. 95-101, 2006.
-  L. Gilbert, C. Picard, G. Savary, and M. Grisel, “Rheological and textural characterization of cosmetic emulsions containing natural and synthetic polymers: relationships between both data,” Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, Vol.421, pp. 150-163, 2013.
-  S. Q. Wang, S. Ravindranath, and P. E. Boukany, “Homogeneous shear, wall slip, and shear banding of entangled polymeric liquids in simple-shear rheometry: A roadmap of nonlinear rheology,” Macromolecules, Vol.44, pp. 183-190, 2011.
-  D. B. Dingwell, “Viscosity-temperature relationships in the system Na2Si2O5-Na4Al2O5,” Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, Vol.50, pp. 1261-1265, 1986.
-  I. Sonder, B. Zimanowski, and R. Büttner, “Non-Newtonian viscosity of basaltic magma,” Geophysical Research Letters, Vol.33, No.2, L02303, 2006.
-  H. Ishibashi and H. Sato, “Viscosity measurements of subliquidus magmas: Alkali olivine basalt from the Higashi-Matsuura district, Southwest Japan,” J. of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, Vol.160, No.3-4, pp. 223-238, 2007.
-  D. B. Dingwell, “2.15 - Properties of Rocks and Minerals – Diffusion, Viscosity, and Flow of Melts,” Treatise on Geophysics: Volume 2, 2nd edition, Elsevier, pp. 419-436, 2015.
-  H. Ishibashi, “Non-Newtonian behavior of plagioclase-bearing basaltic magma: Subliquidus viscosity measurement of the 1707 basalt of Fuji volcano, Japan,” J. of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, Vol.181, No.1-2, pp. 78-88, 2009.
-  A. Vona, C. Romano, D. B. Dingwell, and D. Giordano, “The rheology of crystal-bearing basaltic magmas from Stromboli and Etna,” Geochemica et Cosmochimica Acta, Vol.75, No.11, pp. 3214-3236, 2011.
-  M. O. Chevrel, C. Cimarelli, L. deBiasi, J. B. Hanson, Y. Lavallée, F. Arzilli, and D. B. Dingwell, “Viscosity measurements of crystallizing andesite from Tungurahua volcano (Ecuador),” Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 870-889, 2015.
-  A. Kurokawa, M. Takeo, and K. Kurita, “Two types of volcanic tremor changed with eruption style during 1986 Izu-Oshima eruption,” J. of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, Vol.121, No.4, pp. 2727-2736, 2016.
-  T. Fujii, S. Aramaki, T. Kaneko, K. Ozawa, Y. Kawanabe, and T. Fukuoka, “Petrology of the Lavas and Ejecta of the November, 1986 Eruption of Izu-Oshima Volcano,” Bulletin of the Volcanological Society of Japan, Vol.33, pp. S234-S254, 1988 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  S. Aramaki and T. Fujii, “Petrological and Geological Model of 1986-1987 Eruption of Izu-Oshima Volcano,” Bulletin of the Volcanological Society of Japan, Vol.33, pp. S297-S306, 1988 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  F. J. Spera, A. Borgia, J. Strimple, and M. Feigenson, “Rheology of melts and magmatic suspensions: 1. Design and calibration of concentric cylinder viscometer with application to rhyolitic magma,” J. of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, Vol.93, No.B9, pp. 10273-10294, 1988.
-  D. B. Dingwell and D. Virgo, “Viscosities of melts in the Na2O-FeO-Fe2O3-SiO2 system and factors controlling relative viscosities of fully polymerized silicate melts,” Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, Vol.52, No.2, pp. 395-403, 1988.
-  D. Giordano, J. K. Russell, and D. B. Dingwell, “Viscosity of magmatic liquidus: A model,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, Vol.271, No.1-4, pp. 123-134, 2008.
-  F. Vetere, S. Rossi, O. Namur, D. Morgavi, V. Misiti, P. Mancinelli, M. Petrelli, C. Pauselli, and D. Perugini, “Experimental constraints on the rheology, eruption, and emplacement dynamics of analog lavas comparable to Mercury’s northern volcanic plains,” J. of Geophysical Research: Planets, Vol.122, No.7, pp. 1522-1538, 2017.
-  A. Vona and C. Romano, “The effects of undercooling and deformation rates on the crystallization kinetics of Stromboli and Etna basalts,” Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, Vol.166, No.2, pp. 491-509, 2013.
-  S. Kolzenburg, D. D. Genova, D. Giordano, K. U. Hess, and D. B. Dingwell, “The effect of oxygen fugacity on the rheological evolution of crystallizing basaltic melts,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, Vol.487, pp. 21-32, 2018.
-  F. Vetere, H. Sato, H. Ishibashi, R. D. Rosa, and P. Donato, “Viscosity changes during crystallization of a shoshonitic magma: new insights on lava flow emplacement,” J. of Mineralogical and Petrological Sciences, Vol.108, No.3, pp. 144-160, 2013.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.