Evaluating Volcanic Hazard Risk Through Numerical Simulations
Eisuke Fujita*1,, Yu Iriyama*1, Toshiki Shimbori*2, Eiichi Sato*2, Kensuke Ishii*2, Yujiro Suzuki*3, Kae Tsunematsu*4, and Koji Kiyosugi*5
*1National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Resilience
3-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0006, Japan
*2Meteorological Research Institute, Japan Meteorological Agency, Ibaraki, Japan
*3Earthquake Research Institute, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
*4Faculty of Science, Yamagata University, Yamagata, Japan
*5Organization for Advanced and Integrated Research, Kobe University, Hyogo, Japan
As volcanic hazards induce damage with their flows of gases, liquids, and solid materials, a numerical simulation using multi-phase formulation is applicable to the analysis and evaluation of the risks from these volcanic hazards in both normal and emergent periods. A numerical simulation can also be useful for crisis management. Quick and precise evaluation is needed for upcoming and ongoing hazards, and we present here a concept for the development of a volcanic hazard evaluation system for these hazards, a system in which an input parameter database is compiled and countermeasure information is provided by considering the exposure and vulnerability database.
-  R. I. Tilling, “El Chichón’s “surprise” eruption in 1982: Lessons for reducing volcano risk,” Geofísica Internacional, Vol.48, No,1, pp. 3-19, 2009.
-  M. L. O. Paladio-Melosantos, R. U. Solidum, W. E. Scott, R. B. Quiambao, J. V. Umbal, K. S. Rodolfo, B. S. Tubianosa, P. J. Delos Reyes, R. A. Alonso, and H. B. Ruelo, “Tephra Falls of the 1991 Eruptions of Mount Pinatubo,” C. G. Newhall and R. S. Punongbayan (Eds.), “Fire and Mud: Eruptions and Lahars of Mount Pinatubo, Philippens,” pp. 513-535, University of Washington Press, 1996.
-  N. Miyaji, A. Kan’no, T. Kanamaru, and K. Mannen, “High-resolution reconstruction of the Hoei eruption (AD 1707) of Fuji volcano, Japan,” J. of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, Vol.207, Issues 3-4, pp. 113-129, 2011.
-  Cabinet Office, “Report of Committee for Mount Fuji Volcano Hazard map,” http://www.bousai.go.jp/kazan/fujisan-kyougikai/report/, 2004 (in Japanese) [accessed January 20, 2019]
-  Y. Hasegawa, A. Sugai, Y. Hayashi, Y. Hayashi, S. Saito, and T. Shimbori, “Improvements of volcanic ash fall forecasts issued by the Japan Meteorological Agency,” J. of Applied Volcanology, Vol.4, Issue 1, doi: 10.1186/s13617-014-0018-2, 2015.
-  Center for Spatial Information Science, The University of Tokyo, “Joint Research Program at CSIS,” https://joras.csis.u-tokyo.ac.jp/, 2010 [accessed January 20, 2019]
-  M. Hidaka, A. Goto, S. Umino, and E. Fujita, “VTFS project: Development of the lava flow simulation code LavaSIM with a model for three-dimensional convection, spreading, and solidification,” Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems, Vol.6, Issue 7, doi: 10.1029/2004GC000869, 2005.
-  Nagano Police, “Police’s activity in the volcanic disaster at Mt. Ontake in 2014,” https://www.pref.nagano.lg.jp/police/katsudou/ontake/index.html, 2014 (in Japanese) [accessed January 20, 2019]
-  K. Tsunematsu, B. Chopard, J.-L. Falcone, and C. Bonadonna, “A numerical model of ballistic transport with collisions in a volcanic setting,” Computers & Geosciences, Vol.63, pp. 62-69, 2014.
-  Y. Tanaka, A. Fukuzaki, R. Yasunaga, M. Hatanaka, M. Yoshimoto, and R. Honda, “Efforts of hiker safety measures utilizing IoT in Mt. Fuji,” Abstracts Volume of the Int. meeting “Cities on Volcanoes 10” – Millenia of Stratification between Human Life and Volcanoes: strategies for coexistence (Miscellanea INGV 43), p. 926, 2018.
-  J. Dufek and G. W. Bergantz, “Dynamics and deposits generated by the Kos Plateau Tuff eruption: Controls of basal particle loss on pyroclastic flow transport,” Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems, Vol.8, Issue 12, doi: 10.1029/2007GC001741, 2007.
-  T. Esposti Ongaro, A. B. Clarke, A. Neri, B. Voight, and C. Widiwijayanti, “Fluid dynamics of the 1997 Boxing Day volcanic blast on Montserrat, West Indies,” J. Geophysical Research Solid Earth, Vol.113, Issue B3, doi: 10.1029/2006JB004898, 2008.
-  A. K. Patra, A. C. Bauer, C. C. Nichita, E. B. Pitman, M. F. Sheridan, M. Bursik, B. Rupp, A. Webber, A. J. Stinton, L. M. Namikawa, and C. S. Renschler, “Parallel adaptive numerical simulation of dry avalanches over natural terrain,” J. of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, Vol.139, Issue 1-2, pp. 1-21, 2005.
-  H. L. Tanaka and K. Yamamoto, “Numerical simulation of volcanic plume dispersal from Usu volcano in Japan on 31 March 2000 using PUFF model,” Earth, Planets and Space, Vol.53, Issue 7, pp. 743-752, 2001.
-  Y. J. Suzuki and T. Koyaguchi, “3D numerical simulation of volcanic eruption clouds during the 2011 Shinmoe-dake eruptions,” Earth Planets and Space, Vol.65, Issue 6, pp. 581-589, 2013.
-  Y. J. Suzuki and T. Koyaguchi, “A three-dimensional numerical simulation of spreading umbrella clouds,” J. Geophysical Research Solid Earth, Vol.114, doi: 10.1029/2007JB005369, 2009.
-  Y. J. Suzuki and M. Iguchi, “Determination of the mass eruption rate for the 2014 Mount Kelud eruption using three-dimensional numerical simulations of volcanic plumes,“ J. of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, doi: 10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2017.06.011, 2017.
-  K. Ishihara, M. Iguchi, and K. Kamo, “Numerical Simulation of Lava Flows on Some Volcanoes in Japan” J. H. Fink (Ed.), “Lava Flows and Domes: Emplacement Mechanisms and Hazard Implications,” pp.174-207, Springer, 1989.
-  M. C. Malin and M. F. Sheridan, “Computer-Assisted Mapping of Pyroclastic Surges,” Science, Vol.217, Issue 4560, pp. 637-640, 1982.
-  Geospatial Information Authority of Japan, “National Land Numerical Information,” https://fgd.gsi.go.jp/download/menu.php [accessed January 20, 2019]
-  A. K. Kurokawa, T. Miwa, and H. Ishibashi, “A Simple Procedure for Measuring Magma Rheology,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.14, No.4, 2019.
-  Japan Meteorological Agency, “Recommendation for the upgrade of volcanic ash fall forecast,” https://www.jma.go.jp/jma/press/1303/29a/teigen.pdf, 2013 (in Japanese) [accessed January 20, 2019]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.