Development of a Data Sharing System for Japan Volcanological Data Network
Hideki Ueda, Taishi Yamada, Takahiro Miwa, Masashi Nagai, and Takanori Matsuzawa
National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Resilience (NIED)
3-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0006, Japan
In Japan, a number of universities, research institutes, and administrative organizations continue to conduct observations on volcanoes according to their respective roles. They also promote the distribution and sharing of observation data and have collaborated with each other. Japan Volcanological Data Network (JVDN) is a framework that strengthens this cooperation, promotes volcano research, and contributes to volcanic disaster mitigation. In this paper, we report the overview, progress, tasks, and future prospects of the system being developed for JVDN that was initiated in 2016. The observational data collected from each organization is stored in a database and shared using visualization tools to promote collaborative research, (e.g., multi-disciplinary research for eruption prediction) and cooperation between organizations. Furthermore, this database will contribute to volcanic disaster mitigation measures through collaboration between the volcano research community and administrative organizations responsible for volcanic crisis management. Adaptation to the standards of the international WOVOdat database will also promote cooperation with research institutes worldwide.
-  S. Aramaki, “Classification and Mechanism of Volcanic Eruptions,” Bull. Volcanol. Soc. Jpn., Vol.20, pp. 205-221, 1975.
-  “Guideline of volcano disaster prevention system for evacuation at the time of eruption,” http://www.bousai.go.jp/kazan/kentokai/20080319/080319_shishin.pdf (in Japanese) [accessed October 19, 2018]
-  T. Urabe, “A common format for multi-channel earthquake waveform data,” Program abstracts of the Seismological Society of Japan Meeting, No.2, p. 384, 1994.
-  Y. Okada, K. Kasahara, S. Hori, K. Obara, S. Sekiguchi, H. Fujiwara, and A. Yamamoto, “Recent progress of seismic observation networks in Japan – Hi-net, F-net, K-NET, and KiK-net –,” Earth, Planets and Space, Vol.56, No.8, pp. xv-xxviii, 2004.
-  K. Obara, K. Kasahara, S. Hori, and Y. Okada, “A densely distributed high-sensitivity seismograph network in Japan: Hi-net by National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention,” Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol.76, No.2, 021301, doi:10.1063/1.1854197, 2005.
-  C. G. Newhall, F. Costa, A. Ratdomopurbo, D. Y. Venezky, C. Widiwijayanti, N. T. Z. Win, K. Tan, and E. Fajiculay, “WOVOdat – An online, growing library of worldwide volcanic unrest,” J. Volcanol. Geotherm. Res., Vol.345, pp. 184-199, 2017.
-  D. Y. Venezky and C. G. Newhall, “WOVOdat Design Document: The Schema, Table Descriptions, and Create Table Statements for the Database of Worldwide Volcanic Unrest (WOVOdat Version 1.0),” US Geol. Surv. Open-File Report, 2007-1117, 2007.
-  “Report of the Data Shearing Working Group of the Volcano Research Steering Committee,” http://www.kazan-pj.jp/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/6-2_%E3%83%87%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BF%E6%B5%81%E9%80%9AWG%E5%A0%B1%E5%91%8A%E6%9B%B8.pdf (in Japanese) [accessed October 15, 2018]
-  T. Tanada, H. Ueda, M. Nagai, and M. Ukawa, “NIED’s V-net, the Fundamental Volcano Observation Network in Japan,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.12, No.5, pp. 926-931, 2017.
-  E. Fukuyama, M. Ishida, S. Hori, S. Sekiguchi, and S. Watada, “Broadband seismic observation conducted under the FREESIA project,” Rep. Nat’l. Res. Inst. Earth Sci. Disas. Prev., No.57, pp. 23-31, 1996 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  T. Matsumoto, S. Hori, and H. Matsubayashi, “Broadband seismic observation – NIED F-net,” Zisin, Vol.61, Issue Supplement, pp. 9-18, 2009 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  T. Kanazawa, K. Uehira, M. Mochizuki, T. Shinbo, H. Fujimoto, S. Noguchi, T. Kunugi, K. Shiomi, S. Aoi, T. Matsumoto, S. Sekiguchi, and Y. Okada, “S-Net project, Cabled observation network for earthquakes and tsunamis,” SubOptic WE2B.3, 2016.
-  K. Uehira, T. Kanazawa, M. Mochizuki, H. Fujimoto, S. Noguchi, T. Shinbo, K. Shiomi, T. Kunugi, S. Aoi, T. Matsumoto, S. Sekiguchi, Y. Okada, M. Shinohara, and T. Yamada, “Outline of Seafloor Observation Network for Earthquakes and Tsunamis along the Japan Trench (S-net),” European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2016, EGU2016-13832, 2016.
-  M. Mochizuki, T. Kanazawa, K. Uehira, T. Shimbo, K. Shiomi, T. Kunugi, S. Aoi, T. Matsumoto, S. Sekiguchi, N. Yamamoto, N. Takahashi, M. Shinohara, and T. Yamada, “S-net project: Construction of large-scale seafloor observatory network for tsunamis and earthquakes in Japan,” American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, NH43B-1840, 2016.
-  C. G. Newhall and J. S. Pallister, “Chapter 8 – Using Multiple Data Sets to Populate Probabilistic Volcanic Event Trees,” Volcanic Hazards, Risks, and Disasters, Elsevier, pp. 203-227, doi:10.1016/B978-0-12-396453-3.00008-3, 2015.