Promotion of Interdisciplinary and Transdisciplinary Collaboration in Disaster Risk Reduction
Graduate School of Advanced Integrated Studies in Human Survivability, Kyoto University
1 Yoshida-Nakaadachi-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8306, Japan
This paper describes interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary approaches inevitably necessary for effective disaster risk management, introducing examples involving the tsunami hazard map in Sendai, volcanic eruption in Iceland, and river flooding in Thailand. On the basis of the conversations conducted at the Global Forum on Science and Technology for Disaster Resilience 2017 held at the Science Council of Japan in Tokyo on November 23–25, 2017, this paper summarizes the results of the discussion for further development of these approaches. Some international initiatives are also briefly introduced.
-  “International Conference on Science and Technology for Sustainability 2017 Report,” Science Council of Japan, pp. 47-50, 2018.
-  UNISDR (United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction), “Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015–2013,” United Nations, 2015, https://www.unisdr.org/files/43291_sendaiframeworkfordrren.pdf [accessed November 16, 2018]
-  Japan Academic Network for Disaster Reduction (JANET-DR) homepage, https://janet-dr.com/020_abouteng/021_abouteng.html [accessed November 16, 2018]
-  United Kingdom Alliance for Disaster Research (UKADR) homepage, http://www.ukadr.org [accessed November 16, 2018]
-  Integrated Research on Disaster Risk (IRDR) homepage, http://www.irdrinternational.org [accessed November 16, 2018]
-  Global Alliance of Disaster Research Institutes (GADRI) homepage, http://gadri.net [accessed November 16, 2018]
-  Future Earth homepage, http://www.futureearth.org [accessed November 16, 2018]
-  The Guardian, “Ash cloud costing airlines £ 130m a day,” April 18, 2010, http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/apr/16/iceland-volcano-airline-industry-iata [accessed November 16, 2018]
-  International Decade for Natural Disaster Reduction (IDNDR) homepage, https://www.preventionweb.net/organizations/2672 [accessed November 16, 2018]
-  Japan National Committee for IDNDR, “Multi-language Glossary on Natural Disasters,” K. Toki (ed.), 1996.
-  2009 UNISDR Terminology on Disaster Risk Reduction homepage, http://www.preventionweb.net/publications/view/7817 [accessed November 16, 2018]
-  UNISDR Terminology, https://www.unisdr.org/we/inform/terminology [accessed November 16, 2018]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.