Research and Development of a Non-Destructive Inspection Technique with a Compact Neutron Source
Yoshie Otake*,†, Yoshichika Seki**, Yasuo Wakabayashi*, Yoshimasa Ikeda*, Takao Hashiguchi*, Yuichi Yoshimura*, Hideyuki Sunaga*, Atsushi Taketani*, Maki Mizuta*, Yoshinobu Oshima***, and Masahiro Ishida***
*RIKEN Center for Advanced Photonics, RIKEN
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako-shi, Saitama 351-0198, Japan
**J-PARC Center, Japan Atomic Energy Agency, Ibaraki, Japan
***Center for Advanced Engineering Structural Assessment and Research, Public Works Research Institute, Ibaraki, Japan
In this paper, a pixel imaging detector for fast neutrons with energy levels above 1 MeV is developed and used to produce images of an iron rod and air pockets through 30 cm of concrete. Also, the salt concentrations of 4 cm- and 5 cm-thick mortar blocks are measured, and a correlation diagram is obtained for up to 1 kg/m3.
-  R. J. Woodward et al., “Collapse of Yns-Y-GWAS Bridge, Glamorgan,” ICE proc., Vol.85, p. 635, 1988.
-  P. Nunnally, “The City, the River, the Bridge: Before and After the Minneapolis Bridge Collapse,” University of Minnesota Press, 2011.
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, “White Paper on Land Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism in Japan 2009,” Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, Chapter 2, Section 1, pp. 34, 2009.
-  P. Vontobel, E. Lehmann, and W. D. Carson, “Comparison of X-ray and neutron tomography investigations of geological materials,” IEEE Trans. on Nuclear Science, Vol.52, Issue 1,pp. 338-341, 2005.
-  http://geant4.cern.ch [accessed May 20, 2017]
-  Y. Otake (a partial author), M. Uesaka, and H. Kobayashi, “Compact Neutron Sources for Energy and Security,” Reviews of Accelerator-Science and Technology, AcceleratorApplications in Energy and Security, Vol.8, pp. 181-207, 2015.
-  Y. Yamagata, K. Hirota, J. Ju, S. Wang, S. Morita, J. Kato, Y. Otake, A. Taketani, Y. Seki, M. Yamada, H. Ota, U. Bautista, and Q. Jia, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., Vol.305, No.3, pp. 787, 2015.
-  Y. Seki, A. Taketani, H. Ota, T. Hashiguchi, S. Wang, Y. Otake, Y. Yamagata, H. Baba, Y. Wakabayashi, K. Kino, K. Hirota, and S. Tanaka, “Fast neutron transmission imaging of the interior of largescale concrete structure using a newly developed pyxel-type detector,” to be published Nucl.Instr.and Meth.A.
-  HAMAMATSU, MPPC and MPPC module for precision measurement.
-  SAINT-GOBAIN, Data Sheet.
-  Y. Wakabayashi, Y. Yoshimura, T. Kobayashi, M. Mizuta, A. Taketani, Y. Ikeda, T. Hashiguchi, S. Yanagimachi, H. Sunaga, Y. Ikeda, and Y. Otake, “Study of salt concentration measurement inside concrete usging neutron-captured prompt-gamma rays at RANS,” 6th Int. Meeting of Union for Compact Accelerator-driven Neutron Source, Xi’an, China, p. 30, 2016.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.