Development of the Wide-Area Earthquake Damage Estimation System and Mashup of Disaster Prevention Information
Masafumi Hosokawa*,†, Ken-ichi Takanashi*, Shoji Doshida*, Makoto Endo**, and Byeong-pyo Jeong***
*National Research Institute of Fire and Disaster
4-35-3 Jindaiji-higashi-cho, Choufu, Tokyo 182-8508, Japan
**Institute of Scientific Approaches for Fire and Disaster, Tokyo, Japan
***National Institute of Information and Communications Technology, Miyagi, Japan
Immediately following an earthquake or other disaster, the crisis management personnel of the national or local government must determine the location of the disaster and its status and quickly carry out response actions such as rescue or fire-fighting operations. However, the congestion of communication lines and shortage of disaster response personnel make it impossible to collate the damage information in the initial response mobilization period immediately following an earthquake, making it difficult to make proper decisions. To assist the decision-making immediately following an earthquake, we developed a Wide-area Earthquake Damage Estimation System, which estimates the earthquake damage based on information from the Meteorological Agency and other agencies and shares the results via email and WebGIS (Web-based Geographic Information System) portal functions. In this paper, we introduce this system and discuss the results of the trial operation.
-  Fire and Disaster Management Agency, “Damage report of 2011 Tohoku Pacific Ocean Earthquake (Great East Japan Earthquake)” (153th report).
-  Technical document of National Research Institute of fire and Disaster (No.82), “Report of Investigation of Damege and Fire-fighting operation on the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake (1st report),” National Research Institute of fire and Disaster, December 2011.
-  Press information of Fire and Disaster Management Agency, “The Emergency Fire Relief Team finished the activity in Striked area in Tohoku,” June 6, 2011. http://www.fdma.go.jp/neuter/topics/houdou/h23/2306/230606_1houdou/01_houdoushiryou.pdf [accessed June 6, 2011]
-  S. Zama and M. Hosokawa, “Development of Simplified Earthquake Damage Estimation System,” Report of National Research Institute of fire and Disaster, No.82, pp. 26-33, 1996.
-  S. Zama, M. Endo, M. Hosokawa, and K. Hatayama, “Improvement of Simplified Earthquake Damage Estimation System,” Report of National Research Institute of fire and Disaster, No.90, pp. 1-10, 2000.
-  S. Midorikawa, “Preliminary analysis for attenuation of peak ground velocity on stiff site,” Proc. Int. Work. on Strong Motion Data, Vol.2, pp. 39-48, 1993.
-  M. Matsuoka and S. Midorikawa, “Digital national land information and seismic microzoning,” The 22th Ground Motion Symposium, pp. 23-34, 1994.
-  T. Huanan, F. Yamazaki, H. Sasaki, and S. Matsumoto, “Relationship between earthquake intensity and house damage rate based on damage case,” The 9th Japan Earthquake Engieering Symposium, pp. 2299-2304, 1995.
-  H. Mizuno and S. Horiuch, “Study on the ratio of the outbreak of fire and the prediction about the numbers of the outbreak of fires caused by the earthquake,” J. of Architecture and Planning, Vol.250, pp. 81-90, 1976.
-  K. Tamura, J. Andou, and K. Shiono, “Effect of the occurrence time of an earthquake on the incidence of human casualty,” The 9th Japan Earthquake Engieering Symposium, pp. 2335-2340, 1994.
-  “Observation network,Damage estimation a few minutes after shaking,” Asahi Shimbun, Jan. 15, 2015.
-  Cabinet Office, “Investigative commission on the huge earthquake model of the Nankai Trough,” http://www.bousai.go.jp/jishin/chubou/nankai_trough/nankai_trough_top.html [accessed May 15, 2016]
-  B. P. Jeong, M. Hosokawa, S. Zama, and O. Takizawa, “Estimation of Seismic Intensity Dye to the 2008 Wenchuan Earthquake,” 2009 IEEE Int. Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS2009) Proc., Cape Town (South Africa) (July 2009).
-  Damage report of 2013 Vicinity of Awaji Island Earthquake (Final report), Fire and Disaster Management Agency, April 13, 2013.
-  Damage report of 2014 Northern part of Nagano Prefecture Earthquake (21st report), Fire and Disaster Management Agency, Jan. 5, 2015.
-  Damage report of 2015 Off the west of Ogasawara Islands Earthquake (Final report), Fire and Disaster Management Agency, June 1, 2015.
-  Damage report of 2015 Southern part of Oita Prefecture Earthquake (Final report), Fire and Disaster Management Agency, July 16, 2015.
-  Damage report of 2016 Kumamoto prefecture Kumamoto district Earthquake (65th report), Fire and Disaster Management Agency, July 7, 2016.
-  Damage report of 2016 Uchiura Bay Earthquake (8th report), Fire and Disaster Management Agency, June 20, 2016.
-  Micromedia Disaster Information Network, Disaster situation map, http://mmdin1.maps.arcgis.com/home/index.html [accessed April 19, 2016]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.