Empirical Fragility Curves of Buildings in Northern Miyagi Prefecture During the 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake
Hao Wu*,†, Kazuaki Masaki*, Kojiro Irikura*, and Susumu Kurahashi**
*Disaster Prevention Research Center, Aichi Institute of Technology
Yachigusa 1247, Yakusa-cho, Toyota, Japan
**Department of Civil Engineering, Aichi Institute of Technology, Toyota, Japan
-  Y. Yoshida, H. Ueno, D. Muto, and S. Aoki, “Source process of the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake with the combination of teleseismic and strong motion data,” Earth Planets Space, Vol.63, pp. 565-569, 2011.
-  Fire and Disaster Management Agency (FDMA), http://www.fdma.go.jp/bn/higaihou.html [accessed March 15, 2015]
-  N. Mori, T. Takahashi and the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Joint Survey Group, “Nationwide post event survey and analysis of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake tsunami,” Coastal Engineering Journal, Vol.54, No.1, 1250001, 2012.
-  A. Suppasri, E. Mas, S. Koshimura, K. Imai, K. Harada, and F. Imamura, “Developing tsunami fragility curves from the surveyed data of the 2011 Great East Japan tsunami in Sendai and Ishinomaki Plains,” Coastal Engineering Journal, Vol.54, No.1, 1250008, 2012.
-  H. Wu, K. Masaki, K. Irikura, K. Saguchi, S. Kurahashi, and X. Wang, “Relationship between Builidng Damage Ratios and Ground Motion Characteristics during the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake,” Journal of Natural Disaster Science, Vol.34, No.1, pp. 59–78, 2012.
-  Y. Nakajima and S. Suzuki, “A study on the fragility curve of structures in case of Miyagi prefecture in case of the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake,” Summaries of Technical Papers of Annual Meeting 2013, Structure II, Disaster Prediction (5), No.21603, Architectural Institute of Japan, Hokkaido, pp. 1205-1206, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Kawai, J. Miyakoshi, S. Yamatomo, N. Fukuwa, and M. Mori, “A study of damage to houses and buildings in the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake,” Research report of Tokai Branch of Architecture Institute of Japan, No.52, pp. 237-240, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  S. Ohno, A. Shibayama, K. Hamaoka, and S. Yoshimura, “Building damage and strong-motion amplitude relationships based on the damage survey for the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake, Japan,” 14th Japan Earthquake Engineering Symposium, pp. 924-930, 2014 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  F. Sabetta, A. Goretti, and A. Lucantoni, “Empirical fragility curves from damage surveys and estimated strong ground motion,” 11th European Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Balkema, Rotterdam, 1998.
-  M.-H. Hsieh, B.-J. Lee, T.-C. Lei, and J.-Y. L, “Development of medium- and low-rise reinforced concrete building fragility curves based on Chi-Chi Earthquake data,” Natural Hazards, Vol.69, No.1, pp. 695-728, 2013.
-  H. Si, K. Koketsu, H. Miyake, and S. Midorikawa, “Generation of peak ground motions in giant earthquakes,” American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, Abstract S51E-03, 2011.
-  H. Si, K. Koketsu, H. Miyake, and R. Ibrahim, “Variation of the equivalent hypocentral distances based on different fault models for the 2011 Tohoku earthquake,” Joint Conference Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Urban Earthquake Engineering and the 4th Asia Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Tokyo, Japan, pp. 275-278, 2012.
-  NILIM and BRI, “Summary of the field survey and research on the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake (the Great East Japan Earthquake),” Technical Note of National Institute for Land and Infrastructure Management, No.647; Building Research Institute Paper, No.150, 2011.
-  G. W. Housner, “Spectrum of intensities of strong motion earthquake,” Proceedings of the Symposium on Earthquake and Blast Effects on Structures, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, Los Angeles, pp. 20-36, 1952.
-  N. Yoshida, S. Kobayashi, I. Suetomi, and K. Miura, “Equivalent linear method considering frequency dependent characteristics of stiffness and damping,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol.22, pp. 205-222, 2002.
-  K. Irikura, “Prediction of strong acceleration motion using empirical Green’s function,” Proceeding of 7th Japan Engineering Earthquake Symposium, pp. 151-156, 1986.
-  S. Kurahashi and K. Irikura, “Short-period source model of the 2011 Mw 9.0 Off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol.103, No.2B, pp. 1373-1393, 2013.
-  H. Arai and K. Tokimatsu, “S-wave velocity profiling by inversion of microtremor H/V spectrum,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol.94, No.1, pp. 53-63, 2004.
-  D. Albarello and E. Lunedei, “Combining horizontal ambient vibration components for H/V spectral ratio estimates,” Geophysical Journal International, Vol.194, pp. 936-951, 2013.
-  C. Kitsunezaki, N. Goto, Y. Kobayashi, T. Ikawa, M. Horike, T. Saito, T. Kurota, K. Yamane, and K. Okuzumi, “Estimation of P- and S-wave velocities in deep soil deposits for evaluating ground vibration in earthquake,” Journal of Natural Disaster Science, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 1-17, 1990 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  Japan Seismic Hazard Information Station (J-SHIS), http://www.j-shis.bosai.go.jp/map/ [accessed May 29, 2015]
-  N. A. Haskell, “Crustal Reflection of Plane SH Waves,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol.65, No.12, pp. 4147–4150, 1960.
-  F. Nagashima, H. Kawase, S. Matsushima, F. J. Sanchez-Sesma, T. Hayakawa, T. Satoh, and M. Ohshima, “Soil structure inversion and strong motion estimation based on H/V spectral ratio for earthquakes,” Japan Geoscience Union Meeting, No.SSS33-03, 2013.
-  T. Sakamoto, R. Isobe, M. Motosaka, and A. Shibayama, “Questionare investigation of ground motion characteristics of main shock and aftershock of the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake,” Journal of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.12, No.5, pp. 133-142, 2012 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  H. Tong, F. Yamazaki, H. Sasaki, and S. Matsumoto, “A relationship between seismic ground motion severity and house damage ratio,” Proceeding of 9th Japan Engineering Earthquake Symposium, pp. 2299-2304, 1994 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  Y.-M. Wu, N.-C. Hsiao, T.-L. Teng, and T.-C. Shin, “Near Real-time Seismic Damage Assessment of the Rapid Reporting System,” Terrestrial Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, Vol.13, No.3, pp. 313-324, 2002.
-  S. Midorikawa, Y. Ito, and H. Miura, “Vulnerability functions of buildings based on damage survey data of earthquakes after the 1995 Kobe Earthquake,” Journal of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.11, No.4, pp. 34-47, 2011 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  Y. Hayashi, J. Miyakoshi, and K. Tamura, “Study on the distribution of peak ground velocity based on building damage during the 1995 Hyogo-Ken Nanbu Earthquake,” Journal of Structural and Construction Engineering, Architectural Institute of Japan, No.502, pp. 61-68, 1997 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  N. Yamaguchi and F. Yamazaki, “Estimation of strong ground motion in the 1995 Hyogoken-Nanbu Earthquake based on building damage data,” Proceedings-Japan Society of Civil Engineers, No.612, pp. 325-336, 1999 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  N. Yamaguchi and F. Yamazaki, “Development of Fragility curves for buildings based on damage survey data of Nishinomiya city after the 1995 Hyogoken-Nanbu Earthquake,” Institute of Social Safety Science, No.2, pp. 129-138, 2000 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  Y. Sakai, “Reinvestigation on period range of strong ground motions corresponding to building damage,” Journal of Structural Construction Engineering, Architectural Institute of Japan, Vol.74, No.642, pp. 1531-1536, 2009 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  S. Aoi, T. Kunugi, W. Suzuki, N. Morikawa, H. Nakamura, S. Senna, and H. Fujiwara, “ Strong motion characteristics of the 2011 Tohoku-Oki Earthquake,” Zijin II, Vol.64, No.3, pp. 169-182, 2012 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  P. Wessel, W. H. Smith, R. Scharroo, J. F. Luis, and F. Wobbe, “Generic Mapping Tools: Improved version released,” Eos, Transactions American Geophysical Union, Vol.94, pp. 409-410, 2013.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.