Seismic Responses of Zoned Earth-Fill Dam by Instrumentation and Finite Element Simulation
Sirikanya Laosuwan† and Tawatchai Tanchaisawat
Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Chiang Mai University
239 Huay Kaew Road, Muang Distric, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Natural disasters recently occurred in the northern region of Thailand have been increasingly becoming an important issue with emphasis on the alarm and caution for damage and frequency of disasters which may cause major losses of human lives and properties. In May 2014, six provinces in the northern region of Thailand were affected by the earthquakes (the main shock of Mw 6.1 (Moment Magnitude by USGS) and hundreds of aftershocks including the one Mw 5.9 at most) that had the epicenters at Phan District, Chiang Rai Province (19.656°N 99.670°E). This research aimed to study the distribution of seismic accelerations at Mae Ngad Somboon Chon Dam in Chiang Mai. The accelerometers were installed at 3 positions in the dam, consisting of the crest, middle and base of the dam. The collected data were compared and analyzed by the Finite Element Method. Analyses of the Linear Elastic Model, the Mohr-Coulomb Model and the Hardening Soil Model with using the acceleration actually recorded at the dam were conducted to determine an appropriate analytical model. The results indicated that the accelerations obtained from the Hardening Soil Model were more suitable for actual accelerations among others. Therefore the behavior of the Hardening Soil Model is more realistic than that of the Linear Elastic Model or the Mohr-Coulomb Model.
-  S. Soralump, C. Thongthamchart, and V. Chaisakaew, “30 Years Instrumentation Behavior of Srinagarind Dam and Analysis of Warning Criteria,” 2nd International Conference Long Term Behaviour of Dams (LTBD09), October 12-13, 2009, Graz, Austria, pp. 899-904, 2009.
-  S. Soralump and K. Tansupo, “Safety analyses of Srinagarind dam induced by earthquakes using dynamic response analysis method.” Int. Conf. on Performance-Based Design in Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering (IS-Tokyo 2009), Taylor & Francis, London, June 15-18, 2009.
-  B. Sinsuksate, “Effects of seismic force on behavior of Mae Thalop Luang Dam,” Master degree. Chiang Mai University, 2010.
-  B. Charatpangoon, “Seismic Safety Evaluation of Earth Dams in Northern Thailand,” Asian Institute of Technology School of Engineering and Technology, 2010.
-  B. Charatpangoon, J. Kiyono, A. Furukawa, and C. Hansapinyo, “Dynamic Analysis of Earth Dam Damaged by the 2011 Off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, pp. 50-62, 2013.
-  E. Cascone and S. Rampello, “Decoupled Seismic Analysis of an Earth Dam,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol.23, pp. 349-365, 2003.
-  Regional Irrigation Office 1, “Equipment and monitoring system the behavior of the dam,” Royal Irrigation Department, 2013.
-  V. Vikromprasit, “The behavior of Mae Gnad earthfill dam during construction,” Kasetsart University, 1987.
-  R. Z. Moayed, M. R. Formashee, and M. Kamalzare, “Impact of Elasticity, Core Zone and Accelerogram on Embankment Dam under Earthquake Load,” EJGE.14, 2009.
-  P. K. Woodward and D. V. Griffiths, “Influence of Viscous Damping in the Dynamic Analysis of an Earth dam using simple Constitutive Models,” Computers and Geotechnics, Vol.19, No.3, pp. 245-263, 1995.
-  N. Uddin, “A dynamic analysis procedure for concrete-faced rockfill dams subjected to strong seismic excitation,” Computers and Structures, Vol.72, pp. 409-421, 1999.
-  S. Sica, L. Pagano, and A. Modaressi, “Influence of past loading history on the seismic response of earth dams,” Computers and Geotechnics, Vol.35, pp. 61-85, 2008.
-  T. Iwasaki, “Response Analysis of Civil Engineering Structures Subjected to Earthquake Motions,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 274-295, 2006.
-  PLAXIS 2D version 8.2, Version 8.0 Plaxis BV, Delft.
-  R. B. J. Brinkgreve and P. A. Vermeer, “Finite element code for soil and rock Analysis,” PLAXIS 8.0 manual, Balkema, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 1998.
-  Earthquake Operating Center, available at: http://www.seismology.tmd.go.th [accessed May 2014]
-  P. K. Basudhar, N. S. V. Kameswara Rao, M. Bhookya, and Arindam Dey, “2D FEM Analysis of Earth and Rockfill Dams under Seismic Condition,” Fifth International Conf. on Recent Advances in Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics and Symposium in Honor of Professor I. M. Idriss, 2010.
-  Seismo Match Version 2.1.0, Seismosoft srl. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
-  M. Watabe, “Aseismic Structureal Systems for Buildings,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.1, No.3, pp. 358-377, 2006.
-  Z. Feng, P. H. Tsai, and J. N. Li, “Numerical earthquake response analysis of the Liyutan earth dam in Taiwan,” Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., Vol.10, pp. 1269-1280, doi:10.5194 /nhess-10-1269-2010, 2010.