Financial Feasibility of Neighborhood-Level Relocation from Landslide Danger Zone
Noriyasu Kachi† and Kenichi Tsukahara
Disaster Risk Reduction Research Center, Graduate School of Engineering, Kyushu University
744 Motooka, Nischi-ku, Fukuoka 819-0395, Japan
Numerous landslides due to torrential rain have frequently occurred in the urban fringe of many cities in recent years. To protect residents from a landslide, there is a need that those living in landslide danger zones migrate to safer areas. In this study, we examined the financial feasibility of a scheme that enables residents in landslide danger zones to migrate to safe residential areas. The case study of the Kyushu region indicated that relocation for disaster adaptation is financially feasible for 20% of landslide danger zones in the region.
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism: Landslide Disaster Countermeasures Discussion Group, “Proclamation on landslide counter-measures taken from the medium to long-term perspec-tive,” March 2008.
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, “White Paper on National Land and Transport for 2007,” 2009.
-  Y. Hayashi, Y. Suzuki, S. Sato, and K. Tsukahara, “Disaster Resilient Cities: Concepts and Practical Examples,” 206pp., Butterworth-Heinemann, 2016.
-  T. Yagi, “Preventing landslides and land use restrictions,” National Diet Library, Reference, Vol.57, No.7, No.678, pp. 21-38, 2007.
-  T. Mizuyama, “Present state of and challenges to land use restrictions as landslide prevention measures – Land use restriction under the Landslide Prevention Act,” J. of the Japan Society for Natu-ral Disaster Science, Vol.25, No.2, pp. 139-142, 2006.
-  H. Chen, Y. Liu, N. Maki, H. Hayashi, and M. Sawada, “Disaster Recovery Collective Relocation and Life Recovery Issues, Fundamental Analysis of Permanent Houses Sites of Typhoon Morakot, Taiwan,” Papers on Urban Planning, Vol.47, No.3, pp. 919-924, 2012.
-  K. Chihara, K. Tsukahara, and N. Kachi, “Study on financial feasibility of relocation for disaster adaptation in landslide prone regions,” Proceeings of the Forty seventh Conf. on Infrastructure Planning and Management, 2013.
-  K. Fukutome, “Relocation Factors of Settlements due to Disasters – In case of the 2004 Mid-Niigata Prefecture Earthquake –,” J. of the City Planning Institute of Japan, Vol.47, No.3, 2012.
-  Y. Akiyama, H. Sengoku, and R. Shibasaki, “Estab-lishing a micro-spatial data infrastructure to evaluate national land scale disaster risk/regional disaster response capability for large-scale earthquakes,” Proc. of the Forty-seventh Conf. on Infrastructure Planning and Management, 2013.
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, “Technical guideline concerning cost-benefits analysis of public works project evaluation,” June 2009.
-  Y. Ozeki, T. Togawa, Y. Suzuki, H. Kato, and Y. Hayashi, “Development of methods of predicting infra-structure maintenance and renewal costs on the metro-politan region scale,” Collected Papers on Civil Engineer-ing Research, Vol.27, No.2, pp. 305-312, 2010.
-  Faine Collaborate Research Institute Co. Ltd., “Pub-lic facility etc.,” Renewal cost trial calculation software specifications, 2014.
-  Ministry of the Environment, “Domestic wastewater treatment facility improvement plan enactment manual,” 2002.
-  Japan Sewage Works Association, “Sewage Works Statistics,” 2009.
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tour-ism, River Bureau, “Flood control economic survey manual (Draft),” 2005.
-  T. Shinozaki, K. Fukuda, H. Oishi, S. Sugihara, and K. Furukawa, “Probabilistic evaluations of landslide occurrence risk standard lines using logistic regression analysis,” Collected Papers of the Japan Society of Civil Engineers, F, Vol.66, No.1, pp. 122-131, 2010.
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, Water and Disaster Management Bureau, River Planning Bureau, “Flood Statistics, 1999–2009.”
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tour-ism, “State of occurrence of landslide in recent years by prefecture.”
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tour-ism, “Declaration Rules for granting subsidies to fund relocation for disaster adaptation promotion projects,” 2005.
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, “Outline of disaster restoration projects (subsidies).”
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, “Committee to study efforts undertaken under the Landslide Prevention Act: State of principal countermeasures based on the Landslide Prevention Act,” January 2013.