Rapid Global Exposure Assessment for Extreme River Flood Risk Under Climate Change
Youngjoo Kwak† and Yoichi Iwami
International Center for Water Hazard and Risk Management (ICHARM), Public Works Research Institute (PWRI)
1-6 Minamihara, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8516, Japan
-  United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR), “Living with Risk: A Global Review of Disaster Reduction,” UNISDR: New York, NY, USA; Geneva, Switzerland, 2004.
-  P. Bates, M. Horritt, and T. Fewtrell, “A simple inertial formulation of the shallow water equations for efficient two-dimensional flood inundation modelling,” Hydro., Vol.387, pp. 33-45, 2010.
-  A. Sanghi, S. Ramachandran, A. Fuente, M. Tonizzo, S. Sahin, and B. Adam, “Natural hazards, unnatural disasters : the economics of effective prevention,” Washington DC, World Bank Group, 2011.
-  IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report (AR5), “Climate Change 2014 Synthesis Report,” World Meteorological Organization (WMO), Geneva, Switzerland, 2014.
-  United Nations, “Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015–2030,” United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR), Vol.32 pp. A/CONF.224/L.2, 2015.
-  Y. Jibiki, Y. Ono, and F. Imamura, “Special Issue on the Third United Nations World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (WCDRR) – Public Forum,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.11, No.3, pp. 385-386, 2016.
-  M. Osamu and S. Hiroko, “Quantitative Text Analysis of Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015–2030,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.11, No.3, pp. 459-469, 2016.
-  World Bank, “Natural Disaster Hotspots: Case Studies, Disaster Risk Management Series,” pp. 1-184, 2005.
-  P. Peduzzi, H. Dao, C. Herold, and F. Mouton, “Assessing global exposure and vulnerability to-wards natural hazards: The disaster risk index,” Nat. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., pp. 1149-1159, 2009.
-  H. C. Winsemius, R. Van Beek, B. Jongman, Ward, and P. J. Bouwman, “A high-resolution global flood hazard model,” Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., Vol.17, pp. 1871-1892, 2013.
-  H. Wu, R. F. Adler, Y. Tian, G. J. Huffman, H. Li, and J. Wang, “Real-time global flood estimation using satellite-based precipitation and a coupled land surface and routing model,” Water Resour. Res., Vol.50, pp. 2693-2717, 2014, http:flood.umd.edu [accessed Jan. 2015]
-  D. Yamazaki et al., “Development of the global width database for large rivers,” Water Resources Research, Vol.50, No.4, pp. 3467-3480, 2014.
-  C. Sampson, A. Smith, P. Bates, J. Neal, L. Alfieri, and J. Freer, “A high-resolution global flood hazard model,” Water Resour. Res., Vol.51, pp. 7358-7381, 2015.
-  K. Kobayashi, K. Takara, M. Funada, and Y. Takeuchi, “Development of a Framework for the Flood Economic Risk Assessment Using Vector GIS Data,” J. Disaster Research, Vol.5, No.6, pp. 657-665, 2010.
-  G. Schumann, P. Bates, J. Neal, and K. Andreadis, “Technology: Fight floods on a global scale,” Nature Vol.507, pp. 169, 2014.
-  Hirabayashi et al., “Global flood risk under climate change,” Nature Climate Change, Vol.3, pp. 816-821, 2013.
-  N. W. Arnell and S. N. Gosling, “The impacts of climate change on river flood risk at the global scale,” Climatic Change, Vol.134, No.3, pp. 387-401, 2016.
-  Hanasaki et al, “A global water scarcity assessment under Shared Socio-economic Pathways – Part 2: Water availability and scarcity,” Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., Vol.17, pp. 2393-2413, 2013.
-  Y. Kwak, K. Takeuchi, K. Fukami, and J. Magome, “A new approach to flood risk assessment in Asia-Pacific region based on MRI-AGCM outputs,” Hydrological Research Letters, Vol.6, pp. 70-75. 2012.
-  M. Masood and K. Takeuchi, “Climate Change Impact on the Manageability of Floods and Droughts of the Ganges-Brahmaputra-Meghna Basins Using Flood Duration Curves and Drought Duration Curves,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.10, No.5, pp. 991-1000, 2015.
-  N. Hashimoto, Y. Kinashi, T. Kawashima, M. Yokota, M. Yamashiro, and M. Kodama, “Bias Correction in Typhoon and Storm Surge Projection Considering Characteristics of Global Climate Model MRI-AGCM3.2S,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 448-456, 2015.
-  H. Li, S. Wei, C. Cheng, J. Liou, Y. Chen, and K. Yeh, “Applying Risk Analysis to the Disaster Impact of Extreme Typhoon Events Under Climate Change,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 513-526, 2015.
-  B. Lehner, K. Verdin, and A. Jarvis, “New global hydrography derived from spaceborne elevation data.” EOS Trans, AGU, Vol.89, No.10, pp. 93-94, 2008, available: http://hydrosheds.cr.usgs.gov [accessed Dec. 2014]
-  K. Takeuchi, T. Ao, and H. Ishidaira, “Introduction of block-wise use of TOPMODEL and Muskingum-Cunge method for the hydroenvironmental simulation of a large ungauged basin,” Hydrological Sciences J., Vol.44, No.4, pp. 633-646, 1999.
-  J. Magome, M.A. Gusyev, A. Hasegawa and K. Takeuchi, “River discharge simulation of a distributed hydrological model on global scale for the hazard quantification,” 21st Int. Congress on Modelling and Simulation, Society of Australia and New Zealand, pp. 1593-1599, 2015.
-  R. Mizuta, O. Arakawa, T. Ose, S. Kusunoki, H. Endo, and A. Kitoh, “Classification of CMIP5 future climate responses by the tropical sea surface temperature changes,” SOLA, Vol.10, pp. 167-171, 2014.
-  A. Hasegawa, M. A. Gusyev, T. Ushiyama and Y. Iwami, “Drought assessment in the Pampanga River basin, the Philippines – Part 2: A comparative SPI approach for quantifying climate change hazards,” 21st Int. Congress on Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand, pp. 2388-2394, 2015.
-  M. Gusyev, Y. Kwak, I. Khairul, B. Arifuzzaman, J. Magome, H. Sawano, and K. Takeuchi, “Effectiveness of water infrastructure for river flood management-Part 1: Flood Hazard Assessment using hydrological models in Bangladesh,” Proc. of the Int. Association of Hydrological Sciences, Vol.370, pp. 75-87, 2015.
-  N. Tateishi, N. Hoan, T. Kobayashi, B. Alsaaideh, G. Tana, and D. Phong, “Production of Global Land Cover Data – GLCNMO2008,” J.of Geography and Geology, Vol.6, No.3, 2014.
-  S. Gibson, “Unsteady HEC-RAS Model of the Downtown Reach of the Truckee River,” HEC, PR-58, Vol.39, 2005.
-  B. Budhendra, E. Bright, P. Coleman, and M. Urban, “the LandScan™USA: a high-resolution geospatial and temporal modeling approach for population distribution and dynamics,” Geo J., Vol.69, pp. 103-117, 2007.
-  United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division, “World Population Prospects: The 2015 Revision, Methodology of the United Nations Population Estimates and Projections,” Working Paper No. ESA/P/WP, p. 242. 2015.
-  B. Wisner, P. Blaikie, T. Cannon, and I. Davis, “At Risk:Natural Hazards Peoples Vulnerability and Disasters,” Routledge, Tayslor & Francis, books: London, UK, 1994.
-  S. Lee, T. Okazumi, Y. Kwak, and K. Takeuchi, “Vulnerability Proxy Selection and Risk Calculation Formula for Global Flood Risk Assessment: a Preliminary Study,” Water Policy, Vol.17, No.1, pp. 8-25, 2015.
-  Y. Kwak, B. Arifuzzanman, and Y. Iwami, “Prompt Proxy Mapping of Flood Damaged Rice Fields using MODIS-derived Indices,” Remote Sensing, Vol.7, No.12, pp. 15969-15988, 2015.
-  Y. Kwak, J. Park, A. Yorozuya, and K. Fukami, “Estimation of flood volume in Chao Phraya river basin: Thailand from MODIS images coupled with flood Inundation level,” Int. Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), IEEE Int., pp. 887-890, 2012.
-  The United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR), Operational Satellite Applications Programme, Map of Flood Water over Bangladesh, http://www.unitar.org/unosat/node/44/957 [accessed Jan. 2015]
-  Bangladesh Water Development Board (BWDB), Annual flood report 2007, Flood Forecasting & Warning Centre (FFWC), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2007.
-  Y. Kwak, M. Gusyev, B. Arifuzzaman, I. Khairul, Y. Iwami, and K. Takeuchi, “Effectiveness of Water Infrastructure for River Flood Management: Part 2 – Flood Risk Assessment and Its Changes in Bangladesh,” Proc. IAHS, Vol.370, pp. 83-87, 2015.
-  T. Hofer and B. Messerli, “Floods in Bangladesh: History, Dynamics and Rethinking the Role of the Himalayas,” United Nations University Press: Tokyo, Japan, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.