Glacier Mass Balance and Catchment-Scale Water Balance in Bolivian Andes
Tong Liu*,†, Tsuyoshi Kinouchi**, Javier Mendoza***, and Yoichi Iwami*
*International Centre for Water Hazard and Risk Management (ICHARM)
under the auspices of UNESCO, Public Works Research Institute
1-6, Minamihara, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8516, Japan
**School of Environment and Society, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Yokohama, Japan
***Institute of Hydraulics and Hydrology (IHH), Mayor de San Andres University (UMSA), La Paz, Bolivia
-  P. H. Gleick, “Water Resources,” Encyclopedia of Climate and Weather, 2nd ed., Oxford University Press, pp. 817-823, 1996.
-  G. World, “Bolivia: largest cities and towns and statistics of their population,” World Gazetteer, 2012.
-  World Glacier Monitoring Service (WGMS), “World Glacier Inventory (WGI),” Boulder, Colorado USA: National Snow and Ice Data Center, and the Digital Object Identifier (DOI), 1999 (online), available: http://dx.doi.org/10.7265/N5/NSIDC-WGI-2012-02.
-  T. Liu, T. Kinouchi, and F. Ledezma, “Characterization of recent glacier decline in the Cordillera Real by LANDSAT, ALOS, and ASTER data,” Remote Sens. Environ., Vol.137, pp. 158-172, 2013.
-  P. Wagnon, P. Ribstein, G. Kaser, and P. Berton, “Energy balance and runoff seasonality of a Bolivian glacier,” Glob. Planet. Change, Vol.22, No.1–4, pp. 49-58, 1999.
-  P. Ribstein, E. Tiriau, B. Francou, and R. Saravia, “Tropical climate and glacier hydrology: a case study in Bolivia,” J. Hydrol., Vol.165, pp. 221-234, 1995.
-  B. Francou and P. Ribstein, “Monthly balance and water discharge of an inter-tropical glacier: Zongo Glacier, Cordillera Real, Bolivia, 16circS,” J. Glaciol., Vol.41, No.137, pp. 61-67, 1995.
-  A. Soruco, C. Vincent, B. Francou, and J. F. Gonzalez, “Glacier decline between 1963 and 2006 in the Cordillera Real, Bolivia,” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.36, No.3, pp. 2-7, 2009.
-  J. E. Sicart, P. Ribstein, B. Francou, B. Pouyaud, and T. Condom, “Glacier mass balance of tropical Zongo glacier, Bolivia, comparing hydrological and glaciological methods,” Glob. Planet. Change, Vol.59, No.1–4, pp. 27-36, 2007.
-  A. Soruco, C. Vincent, B. Francou, P. Ribstein, T. Berger, J. E. Sicart, P. Wagnon, Y. Arnaud, V. Favier, and Y. Lejeune, “Mass balance of Glaciar Zongo, Bolivia, between 1956 and 2006, using glaciological, hydrological and geodetic methods,” Ann. Glaciol., Vol.50, No.50, pp. 1-8, 2009.
-  B. Mark and G. Seltzer, “Tropical glacier meltwater contribution to stream discharge: a case study in the Cordillera Blanca, Peru,” J. Glaciol., Vol.49, No.165, pp. 271-281, 2003.
-  T. Liu and T. Kinouchi, “Water balance of glacierized catchments in tropics: a case study in Bolivian Andes,” J. Japan Soc. Civ. Eng. Ser. B1 (Hydraulic Eng.), Vol.68, No.4, pp. 247-252, 2012.
-  H. Ohno, T. Ohata, and K. Higuchi, “The influence of humidity on the ablation of continental-type glaciers,” Ann. Glaciol., Vol.16, pp. 107-114, 1992.
-  K. Kojima, “Snowmelt mechanism and heat budget,” Meteorol. Study Notes, Vol.146, pp. 1-38, 1979.
-  M. Baraer, B. Mark, J. McKenzie, T. Condom, J. Bury, K. I. Huh, C. Portocarrero, J. Gomez, and S. Rathay, “Glacier recession and water resources in Peru’s Cordillera Blanca,” J. Glaciol., Vol.58, No.207, pp. 134-150, 2012.
-  Jet Propulsion Laboratory at California the Institue of Technology, “ASTER mission,” ASTER Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer, 2004 (online), available: http://asterweb.jpl.nasa.gov/index.asp [accessed May 30, 2016]
-  F. V. Ledezma Casablanca, “Application of a distributed hydrological model to Andean glacierized catchments,” 2012.
-  G. Kaser, “Glacier-climate interaction at low latitudes,” J. Glaciol., Vol.47, No.157, pp. 195-204, 2001.
-  V. Favier, P. Wagnon, and P. Ribstein, “Glaciers of the outer and inner tropics: A different behaviour but a common response to climatic forcing,” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.31, No.16, pp. 1-5, 2004.
-  G. Chander, B. L. Markham, and D. L. Helder, “Summary of current radiometric calibration coefficients for Landsat MSS, TM, ETM+, and EO-1 ALI sensors,” Remote Sens. Environ., Vol.113, No.5, pp. 893-903, 2009.
-  Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, “JAXA Advanced Land Observing Satellite DAICHI (ALOS),” Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency Website, 2012 (online), available: http://www.jaxa.jp/projects/sat/alos/index_e.html [accessed May 30, 2016]
-  A. G. Klein and B. L. Isacks, “Alpine glacial geomorphological studies in the central Andes using Landsat Thematic Mapper images,” Glacial Geol. Geomorphol., No.rp01, 1998.
-  T. Liu, “Glacio-hydrological analysis of tropical catchments in the Cordillera Real considering inhomogeneous glacier retreat,” Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2012.
-  N. Agam, “Soil water evaporation during the dry season in an arid zone,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.109, No.D16103, pp. 1-10, 2004.
-  M. Weiβ and L. Menzel, “A global comparison of four potential evapotranspiration equations and their relevance to stream flow modelling in semi-arid environments,” Adv. Geosci., Vol.18, pp. 15-23, 2008.
-  T. Kinouchi, F. Ledezma, T. Liu, and J. Mendoza, “Impact of Glacier Disappearance on Runoff from a Glacierized Catchment in the Andes,” J. Japan Soc. Civ. Eng. Ser. B1(Hydraulic Eng.), Vol.69, No.4, pp. 415-420, 2013.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.