Ensemble Flood Forecasting of Typhoons Talas and Roke at Hiyoshi Dam Basin
Tomoki Ushiyama*,†, Takahiro Sayama**, and Yoichi Iwami*
*International Centre for Water Hazard and Risk Management, Public Works Research Institute
1-6 Minamihra, Tsukuba, Japan
**Disaster Prevention Research Institute, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
-  H. L. Cloke and F. Pappenberger, “Ensemble flood forecasting: A review,” J. Hydrol., pp. 613-626, 2009.
-  L. Cuo, T. C. Pagano, and Q. J. Wang, “A review of quantitative precipitation forecasts and their use in short- to medium-range streamflow forecasting,” J. Hydrometeorol, pp. 713-728, 2011.
-  H. Seko, M. Kunii, S. Yokota, T. Tsuyuki, and T. Miyoshi, “Ensemble experiments using a nested LETKF system to reproduce intense vortices associated with tornadoes of 6 May 2012 in Japan,,” Progress in Earth and Planetary Science, 2015.
-  Z. Meng and F. Zhang, “Limited-area ensemble based data assimilation,” Mon. Wea. Rev., pp. 2025-2045, 2011.
-  N. E. Bowler, A. Arribas, K. R. Mylne, K. B. Robertson, and S. E. Beare, “The MOGREPS short-range ensemble prediction system,” Q. J. Royal Meteorol. Soc., pp. 703-722, 2008.
-  Y. Seity, P. Brousseau, S. Malardel, G. Hello, P. Benard, F. Bouttier, C. Lac, and V. Masson, “The AROME-France convective-scale operational model,” Mon. Wea. Rev., pp. 976-991, 2011.
-  B. Vie, O. Nuissier, and V. Ducrocq, “Cloud-resolving ensemble simulations of Mediterranean heavy precipitating events: uncertainty on initial conditions and lateral boudnary conditions,,” Mon. Wea. Rev., pp. 403-423, 2011.
-  B. Vie, G. Molinie, O. Nuissier, V. Vincendon, V. Ducrocq, F. Bouttier, and E. Richard, “Hydro-meteorological evaluation of a convection-permitting ensemble prediction system for Mediterranean heavy precipitating events,” Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., pp. 2631-2645, 2012.
-  C. Gebhardt, S. E. Theis, M. Paulat, and Z. B. Bouallegue, “Uncertainties in COSMO-DE precipitation forecasts introduced by model perturbations and variation of lateral boundaries,” Atmos. Res., pp. 168-177, 2011.
-  C. Peralta, Z. B. Bouallegue, S. E. Theis, C. Bebhardt, and M. Buchhold, “Accounting for initial condition uncertainties in COSMO-DE-EPS,” J. Geophys. Res., D07108, 2012.
-  A. Aksoy, S. Lorsolo, T. Vukicevic, K. J. Sellwood, S. D. Aberson, and F. Zhang, “The HWRF hurricane ensemble data assimilation system (HEDAS) for high-resolution data: the impact of airborne Doppler radar observations in an OSSE,,” Mon. Wea. Rev., pp. 1843-1862, 2012.
-  Y. Weng and F. Zhang, “Assimilating airborneDoppler radar observations with an ensemble Kalman filter for convection-permitting hurricane initialization and prediction: Katrina,” Mon. Wea. Rev., pp. 841-859, 2005.
-  H. Seko, T. Miyoshi, Y. Shoji, and K. Saito, “Data assimilation experiments of precipitable water vapour using the LETKF system: intense rainfall event over Japan 28 July 2008,” Tellus, pp. 402-414.
-  M. Kunii, “Mesoscale data assimilation for a local severe rainfall event with the NHM-LETKF system,” Wea. Forecasting, pp. 1093-1105, 2014.
-  M. Sawada, T. Sakai, T. Iwasaki, H. Seko, K. Saito, and T. Miyoshi, “Assimilating high-resolution wind from a Dopper lidar using an ensemble Kalman filter with lateral boundary adjustment,” Tellus, Vol.67, No.23473, A 2015, http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/tellusa.v67.23473.
-  B. T. Gouweleeuw, J. Thielen, G. Franchello, A. P. J. De Roo, and R. Buizza, “Flood forecasting using medium-range probabilistic weatehr prediction,” Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., pp. 365-380, 2005.
-  E. Roulin and S. Vannistem, “Skill of medium-range hydrological ensemble predictions,” J. Hydrol., pp. 729-744, 2005.
-  E. Roulin, “Skill and relative economic value of medium-range hydrological ensemble predictions,” Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., pp. 725-737, 2007.
-  G. Thirel, F. R. Regimbeau, E. Martin, and F. Habets, “On the impact of short-range meteorological forecasts for ensemble streamflow predictions,” J. Hydrometeor, pp. 1301-1317, 2008.
-  C. Marsigli, A. Montani, and T. Paccangnella, “A spatial verification method applied to the evaluation of high-resolution ensemble forecasts,” Meteorol. Appl., pp. 125-143, 2008.
-  J. Thielen, K. Bogner, F. Pappenberger, M. Kalas, M. del Medico, and A. de Roo, “Monthly-, medium-, and short-range flood warning: testing the limits of predictability,” Meteorol, Appl., pp. 77-90, 2009.
-  L. Alfieri, F. Pappenberger, F. Wetterhall, T. Haiden, D. Richardson, and P. Salamon, “Evaluation of ensemble streamflow predictions in Europe,” J. Hydrol., pp. 913-922, 2014.
-  J. Dietrich, S. Trepte, Y. Wang, A. H. Shumann, F. Vos, F. B. Hesser, and M. Denhard, “Combination of different types of ensembles for the adaptive simulation of probabilistic flood forecasts: hindcasts for the Mulde 2002 extreme event,” Nonlin. Processes Geophys., pp. 275-286, 2008.
-  M. Verbunt, A. Walser, J. Gurtz, A. Montani, and C. Schar, “Probabilistic flood forecasting with a limited-area ensemble prediction system: selected case studies,” J. Hydrometeor., pp. 897-909, 2007.
-  L. Alfieri, J. Thielen, and F. Pappenberger, “Ensemble hydro-meteorogical simulation for flash flood early detection in southern Switzerland,” J. Hydrol., pp. 143-153, 2012.
-  B. Golding, N. Roberts, G. Leoncini, K. Mylne, and R. Swinbank, “MOGREPS-UK convection-permitting ensemble products for surface water flood forecasting: rationale and first results,” J. Hydrometeor., pp. 1383-1406, 2016.
-  JMA, “Quich disaster report, on the heavy rainfall and severe storm from 30 Aug. to 5 Sep. by typhoon 201112,” 2011 (in Japanese), http://www.jma.go.jp/jma/kishou/books/saigaiji/saigaiji_201103/saigaiji_201103.pdf [accessed May 28, 2016]
-  JMA, “Severe storm and heavy rainfall by typhoon 201115,” 2011 (in Japanese), http://www.data.jma.go.jp/obd/stats/data/bosai/report/2011/20110915/jyun_sokuji20110915-0922.pdf [accessed May 28, 2016]
-  T. Miyoshi and M. Kunii, “The local ensemble transform Kalman filter with the weather research and forecasting model: experiments with real observations,” Pure Appl. Geophys., pp. 321-333, 2012.
-  B. R. Hunt, E. J. Kostelich, and I. Szunyogh, “Efficient data assimilation for spatiotempral chaos: a local ensemble transform Kalman filter,” Physica D, pp. 112-126, 2007.
-  B. R. Hunt, E. Kalnay, E. J. Kostelich, E. Orr, D. J. Patil, T. Sauer, I. Szunyogh, J. A. Yorke, and A. V. Zimin, “Four-dimensional ensemble Kalman fileter,” Physica D, pp. 112-126, 2004.
-  T. Miyoshi, “Tha Gaussian approach to adaptive covariance inflation and its implementation with the local ensemble transform Kalman filter,” Mon. Wea. Rev., pp. 1519-1535, 2011.
-  T. Miyoshi, S. Yamane, and T. Enomoto, “Localizing the error covariance by physical distances within a local ensemble transform Kalman filter (LETKF),” Sola, pp. 089-092, 2007.
-  H. Seko, T. Tsuyuki, K. Saito, and T. Miyoshi, “Data Assimilation for Atmospheric,” Oceanic and Hydrologic Applications, Vol.II, Springer-Verlag, 2013.
-  K. Saito, H. Seko, M. Kunii, and T. Miyoshi, “Effect of lateral boundary perturbations on the breeding method and the local ensemble transform Kalman filter for mesoscale ensemble prediction,” Tellus A, Vol.64, No.11594, 2012, doi: 10.3402/tellusa.v64i0.11594.
-  T. Sayama, G. Ozawa, T. Kawakami, S. Nabesaka, and K. Fukami, “Rainfall-runoff-inundation analysis of the 2011 Pakistan flood in the Kabul river basin,” Hydrological Sciences Journal, pp. 298-312, 2011.
-  B. Lehner, K. Verdin, and A. Jarvis, “New global hydrography derived from spaceborne elevation data,” EOS, Trans. of the Americal Geophysical Union, Vol.89, pp. 93-94, 2008.
-  M. T. Coe, M. H. Costa, and E. A. Howard, “Simulating the surface waters of the Amazaon river basin: impacts of new river geomorphic and flow parameterizations,” Hydrol. Process, pp. 2542-2553, 2008.
-  T. Ushiyama, T. Sayama, Y. Iwami, and T. Miyoshi, “Ensemble prediction of rainfall and streamflow in typhoon 201112 and 201115,” Advances in River Engineering, pp. 455-460, 2014 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  W. Yu, E. Nakakita, S. Kim, and K. Yamaguchi, “Impact assesment of uncertainty propagation of ensemble NWP rainfall to flood forecasting with catchment scale,” Advances in Meteorology, Article ID 1384302, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/1384302, 2016.
-  H. Kardhana and A. Mano, “Undertainty evaluation in a flood forecasting model using JMA numerical weather prediction,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.4, pp. 272-277, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.