An Experimental Study of Beach Evolution with an Artificial Seepage
Changbo Jiang*,**, Yizhuang Liu*, Bin Deng*,**,†, Yu Yao*,**, and Qiong Huang***
*School of Hydraulic Engineering, Changsha University of Science and Technology
Changsha 410114, P. R. China
**Key Laboratory of Water-Sediment Sciences and Water Disaster Prevention of Hunan Province, Changsha 410114, P. R. China
***Guangzhou Zhengjian Construction Engineering Design Co., Ltd., Guangzhou 510220, P. R. China
-  G. H. Lee, R. J. Nicholls, and W. A. Birkemeier, “Storm-driven variability of the beach-near shore profile at Duck, North Carolina, USA, 1981-1991,” Marine Geology, Vol.148, pp. 163-177, 1998.
-  H. M. Fritz, C. Blount, R. Sokoloski, J. Singleton, A. Fuggle, B. G. McAdoo et al., “Hurricane Katrina storm surge distribution and field observations on the Mississippi Barrier Island,” Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, Vol.74, pp. 12-20, 2007.
-  M. M. Fiore, E. E. D’Onofrio, J. L. Pousa, E. J. Schnack, and G. R. Bértola, “Storm surges and coastal impacts at Mar del Plata, Argentina,” Continental Shelf Research, Vol.29, pp. 1643-1649, 2009.
-  P. Nielsen, S. Robert, B. Moller-Christiansen, and P. Oliva, “Infiltration effects on sediment mobility under waves,” Coastal Engineering, Vol.42, pp. 105-114, 2001.
-  M. R. A. Bagnoldm, “Beach formation by waves; some model experiments in a wave tank,” J. Institution Civil Engineering, Vol.15, pp. 27-54, 1940.
-  W.S. Grant, “Influence of the water table on beach aggradations and degradation,” J. Marine Research, Vol.7, pp. 655-660, 1948.
-  G. Elioti and D. J. Clarke, “Semi diurnal variation in beach faces aggradations and degradation,” Marine Geology, Vol.79, pp. 1-22, 1988.
-  L. Li and D. A. Barry, “Wave-induced groundwater flow,” Advances in Water Resources, Vol.23, pp. 325-337, 2000.
-  G. Masselink and L. Li, “The role of swash infiltration in determining the beachface gradient: a numerical study,” Marine Geology, Vol.176, pp. 139-156, 2001.
-  D. C. Conley and J. G. Griffin, “Direct measurements of bed stress under swash in the field,” J. of Geophysical Research, Vol.109, C3, 2004.
-  D. P. Horn, “Measurements and modeling of beach groundwater flow in the swash-zone: a review,” Continental Shelf Research, Vol.26, pp. 622-652, 2006.
-  A. R. Packwood, “The influence of beach porosity on wave uprush and backwash,” Coastal Engineering, Vol.7, pp. 29-40, 1983.
-  M. Sato, “Understand watertable and beach face erosion,” Proc. 22nd Int. Conf. on Coastal Engineering, pp. 2645-2657, 1990.
-  I. L. Turner, G. Masselink, “Swash infiltration – exfiltration and sediment transport,” J. of Geophysical Research, Vol.103, pp. 30813–30824, 1998.
-  J. Chappell, I. G. Eliot, M. P. Bradshaw, and E. Lonsdale, “Experimental control of beach face dynamics by water table pumping,” Engineering Geology, Vol.14, pp. 29-41, 1979.
-  G. Goler, “Numerical Modeling of Groundwater Flow Behavior in Response to Beach Dewatering,” Doctoral dissertation: Middle East Technical University, 2004.
-  A. W.-K. Law, S.-Y. Lim, and B.-Y. Liu, “A note on transient beach evolution with artificial seepage in the swash zone,” J. of Coastal Research, Vol.18, pp. 379-387, 2002.
-  L. Damiani, D. Vicinanza, F. Aristodemo, A. Saponieri, and S. Corvaro, “Experimental investigation on wave set-up and nearshore velocity field in presence of a BDS,” J. of Coastal Research, special issue 64, pp. 55-59, 2011.
-  F. Aristodemo, P. Ciavola, P. Veltri, and A. Saponieri, “The influence of a Beach Drainage System on wave reflection and surf beat processes,” J. of Coastal Research, special issue 64, pp. 455-459, 2011.
-  P. Contestabile, F. Aristodemo, D. Vicinanza, and P. Ciavola, “Laboratory study on a beach drainage system,” Coastal Engineering, Vol.66, pp. 50-64. 2012.
-  P. Ciavola, P. Contestabile, F. Aristodemo, and D. Vicinanza, “Beach sediment mixing under drained and undrained conditions,” J. of Coastal Research, special issue 65, pp. 1503-1508, 2013.
-  P. Nielsen, “Coastal groundwater dynamics,” In: Proc. of Coastal Dynamics ’97, ASCE, pp. 546555, 1997.
-  B. R. Seiffert, M. Hayatdavoodi, and R. C. Ertekin.“Experiments and calculations of cnoidal wave loads on a coastal-bridge deck with girders,” European J. of Mechanics B/Fluids, Vol.52, pp. 191-205, 2015.
-  D. L. Inman and J. D. Frautschy, “Littoral processes and the development of shorelines,” Proc. Coastal Engineering Specialty Conf., ASCE, pp. 511-536, 1966.
-  A. G. Maclean, “Open channel velocity profiles over a zone of rapid infiltration,” J. of Hydraulic Research, Vol.29, pp. 15-27, 1991.
-  D.C. Conley and D. Inman, “Ventilated oscillatory boundary layers,” J. of Fluid Mechanics, Vol.273, pp. 261284, 1994.
-  X. W. Chen and Y. M. Chiew, “Velocity distribution of turbulent open channel flow with bed suction,” J. of Hydraulic Research, Vol.130, pp. 140-148, 2004.
-  Y. Celikouglu, Y. Yüksel, and M.S. Kabdaşli, “Cross-shore sorting on a beach under wave action,” J. of Coastal Research, Vol.22, pp. 487-501, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.