Wave Effects on the Storm Surge Simulation: A Case Study of Typhoon Khanun
Fuchun Lai*, Luying Liu*, and Haijiang Liu**,†
*Ocean College, Zhejiang University
866 Yuhangtang Road, Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310058, China
**College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Zhejiang University, Zhejiang, China
-  L. Ye and F. Yu, “The long-range change and forecast of storm surge disasters in China,” Marine Forecasts, Vol.10, pp. 89-96, 2002 (in Chinese with English abstract).
-  H. R. Kivisild, “Wind effect on shallow bodies of water: with special reference to lake Okeechobee,” Elander, Vol.159, 1954.
-  W. Hansen, “Theorie zur Errechnung des Wasserstandes und der Strömungen in Randmeeren nebst Anwendungen1,” Tellus, Vol.8, No.3, pp. 287-300, 1956.
-  R. G. Dean and R. A. Dalrymple, “Coastal processes with engineering applications,” Cambridge University Press, 2004.
-  R. J. Weaver, “Effect of wave force on storm surge,” Diss. University of Florida, 2004.
-  R. Nakamura, O. Takahiro, T. Shibayama, E. Miguel, and H. Takagi, “Evaluation of storm surge caused by typhoon Yolanda (2013) and using weather-Storm surge-Wave-Tide model,” Procedia Engineering, Vol.116, pp. 373-380, 2015.
-  J. J. Yoon and K. C. Jun, “Coupled storm surge and wave simulations for the Southern Coast of Korea,” Ocean Science Journal, Vol.50, pp. 9-28, 2015.
-  Y. Sun, C. Chen, R. C. Beardsley, Q. Xu, J. Qi, and H. Lin, “Impact of current-wave interaction on storm surge simulation: A case study for Hurricane Bob,” Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, Vol.118, pp. 2685-2701, 2013.
-  L. T. Phan, D. N. Slinn, and S. W. Kline, “Wave effects on hurricane storm surge simulation,” Advances in Hurricane Engineering@ sLearning from Our Past. ASCE, pp. 753-764, 2013.
-  Y. P. Sheng, V. Alymov, and V. A. Paramygin, “Simulation of storm surge, wave, currents, and inundation in the Outer Banks and Chesapeake Bay during Hurricane Isabel in 2003: The importance of waves,” Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, Vol.115, 2010.
-  M. S. Longuet-Higgins and R. W. Stewart, “Radiation stresses in water waves; a physical discussion, with applications,” Deep Sea Research and Oceanographic Abstracts, Vol.11, pp. 529-562, 1964.
-  M. A. Donelan, F. W. Dobson, S. D. Smith, and R. J. Anderson, “On the dependence of sea-surface roughness on wave development,” J. Phys. Oceanogr., Vol.23, pp. 2143-2149, 1993.
-  W. D. Grant and O. S. Madsen, “Combined wave and current interaction with a rough bottom,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.84, pp. 1797-1808, 1979.
-  R. P. Signell, R. C. Beardsley, H. C. Graber, and A. Capotondi, “Effect of wave-current interaction on steady wind-driven circulation in narrow, shallow embayments,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.95, pp. 9671-9678, 1990.
-  R. H. Weisberg and L. Zheng, “Hurricane storm surge simulations for Tampa Bay,” Estuar Coast, Vol.29, pp. 899-913, 2006.
-  J. J. Westerink, R. A. Luettich, J. C. Feyen, J. H. Atkinson, C. Dawson, H. J. Roberts et al., “A basin-to channel-scale unstructured grid hurricane storm surge model applied to southern Louisiana,” Mon Weather Rev, Vol.136, pp. 833-864, 2008.
-  Hydraulics, Delft, “Delft3D-FLOW User Manual,” Delft, the Netherlands, 2014.
-  Z. H. Jiang, F. Hua, and P. Qu, “A new scheme for adjusting the tropical cyclone parameters,” Advances in Marine Science, Vol.26, pp. 1-7, 2008 (in Chinese with English abstract).
-  T. Fujita, “Pressure distribution within typhoon,” Geophysical Magazine, Vol.23, pp. 437-451, 1952.
-  X. Wang, Q. Yin, and B. Zhang, “Research and applications of a forecasting model of typhoon surges in China seas,” Advances in Water Science, Vol.2, pp. 1-10, 1991 (in Chinese with English abstract).
-  T. Ueno, “Numerical computations of storm surges in Tosa Bay,” Journal of Oceanographical Society of Japan, Vol.37, pp. 61-73, 1981.
-  J. L. Irish, B. P. Williams, and A. Militello, “Regional-scale storm-surge modeling of Long Island, New York, USA,” Coastal Engineering Conf., Vol.29, 2004.
-  Y. Huang, R. H. Weisberg, and L. Zheng, “Coupling of surge and waves for an Ivan-like hurricane impacting the Tampa Bay, Florida region,”Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, Vol.115, No.C12, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.