Perception, Participation, and Effect of Nuclear Emergency Response Drills
International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University
6-6-11-901-2 Aoba, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
This study aims to make public the findings on the following questions regarding nuclear emergency response drills from the perspective of engaged residential organizations in local communities: What kind of local knowledge did the nuclear emergency response drills formulate among residents? What types of evacuation behaviors did the residents adopt based on such local knowledge? What kinds of difficulties did the residents experience when they actually evacuated?
-  N. Yoshihara, “The Great East Japan Earthquake and Sociology of Disaster Prevention,” (N. Yoshihara Ed.), Sociology of Disaster Prevention 2nd ed., Toshindo, pp. 3-11, 2012.
-  M. Matsuomto, “Preliminary considerations of local knowledge forming in community and evacuation from tsunami : a case of Coastal Region in Fukushima pref.,” Journal of Social Safety Science, No.21, pp. 119-128, 2013.
-  Y. Ishii, “Status of Nuclear Emergency Response Drill Implementation and Outlook on the future in Japan,” Journal of Disaster Information Studies, Vol.1, pp. 97-100, 2003.
-  T. Funabashi and T. Shibata, “A Comparison of the Nuclear Emergency Preparedness Exercise between the IAEA’s Guidance and the Practice in Japan,” Journal of the Atomic Energy Society of Japan, Vol.50, No.2, pp. 103-107, 2008.
-  M. Akashi and M. Hachiya, “Current Issues in Nuclear Emergency Response Drill,” Journal of emergency medical services, Vol.19, No.6, pp. 42-47, 2011.
-  S. Yamaguchi, “Problems and Approaches of Nuclear Emergency Preparedness,” Chousa to Jyouhou, Vol.803, pp. 1-13, 2013.
-  T. Honma, “Toward Enhancing Preparedness and Response Arrangements and Capabilities for a Nuclear Emergency(1) Emergency preparedness and response : Concepts in international standards and Fukushima experience,” Journal of the Atomic Energy Society of Japan, Vol.56, No.10, pp. 661-668, 2014.
-  T. Nitta, “Toward Enhancing Preparedness and Response Arrangement and Capabilities for a Nuclear Emergency(2) National and local government activities and proposal to the future,” Journal of the Atomic Energy Society of Japan, Vol.56, No.10, pp. 669-674, 2014.
-  N. Yoshihara, “Existence but nothing Community,” Free from “Town of Genpatsu sama,” Iwanami Shoten, pp. 73-98, 2013.
-  Y. Sasaki, “Study on the Relationship between Information of Fukushima Nuclear Accident and Evacuation of Towns of Okuma and Tomioka,” Journal of Administrative and Social Sciences, Vol.25, No.4, pp. 1-39, 2013.
-  Y. Matsuda and T. Tsuga, “Analysis of Government Subsidies for Organizations Supporting Nation-wide Evacuees from the Accidint of Fukushima Nuclear Plant,” Studies in Disaster Recovery and Revitalization, Vol.6, pp. 147-156, 2014.
-  K. Yamakawa and K. Kanki, “A study on gradual customization of supportive relationship to widearea and long-term evacuees from the Great East Japan Earthquake and Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Accident : Focusing on supports from their local governments,” Summaries of technical papers of annual meeting, 2014, pp. 669-670, 2014.
-  S. Yamane, “Problems of the Evacuees Resulting From the Fukushima Nuclear Accident,” Faculty of Literature & Social Sciences, Yamagata University annual research report, Vol.10, pp. 37-51, 2013.
-  Y. Konno and S. Sato, “Evacuation from Fukushima after Earthquakes and Nuclear Accidents : On an Interview Survey of a Voluntary Evacuating Mother,” Memoirs of Faculty of Education and Human Studies, Akita University, Educational science, Vol.69, pp. 145-157, 2014.
-  N. Ishii, T. Tsujiuchi, K. Masuda, and T. Kojima, “A study of Residential Environment of Refugees outside Fukushima Prefecture due to the Nuclear Accident,” Proceeding of The Behaviormetric Society of Japan, Vol.42, pp. 244-247, 2014.
-  T. Tsujiuichi, “Construction of Social Care to treat Nuclear Accident Refugee’s Trauma,” Japanese journal of molecular psychiatry, Vol.15, No.3, pp. 238-241, 2015.
-  S. Ochi, “Health Impact Caused by a Nuclear Disaster : Preventable Deaths and Illnesses,” Journal of the Atomic Energy Society of Japan, Vol.57, No.7, pp. 470-474, 2015.
-  M. Kikuchi and R. Takagi, “Consciousness Structure of Iwaki Citizens for Nuclear Accidents(2)Structure of Conflict between evacuees and Iwaki citizen,” Research bulletin of Iwaki Meisei University, College of Humanities, Vol.28, pp. 81-96, 2015.
-  S. Kawazoe, “Policy-Related Division of Victims and Social Conflicts after a Nuclear Disaster: A Case Study on Iwaki City,” Waseda Rilas Journal, No.2, pp. 19-30, 2014.
-  H. Konno and Y. Harada, “The Current Situation and Issues on Local Cohabitation between the Recipient Citizens and the Nuclear Evacuees in an affected Municipality of the 3.11 Earthquake : on the basis of the administrative and financial evidences in Iwaki City,” Bulletin of Higashi Nippon International University, School of Social Services and Human Environment, Vol.11, No.1, pp. 25-52, 2015.
-  E. Tashiro, “Damage, Evacuation and Reconstruction of Life in Case of the People Who Took Refuge in the Distance,” Journal of the Faculty of Integrated Human Studies and Social Sciences, Fukuoka Prefectural University, Vol.23, No.2, pp. 45-56, 2015.
-  M. Yoneda, “Conflict between “Voluntary Refugees” from Nuclear Disaster and Local Residents in Okayama Prefecture: With Special Attention to Public School Lunch in Primary and Junior High-schools,” Annals of Ochanomizu Geographical Society, Vol.54, pp. 11-20, 2015.
-  W. Takahashi, “Situation of the Nuclear Evacuees Outside Fukushima Prefecture With Assistance by a Hosting Local Government : An Analysis of Fukushima Evacuee Surveys Conducted by Niigata Prefecture,” Journal of the Faculty of International Studies, Utsunomiya University, Vol.38, pp. 35-51, 2014.
-  A. Imai, “Temporary Town” Design and Origin of Local Government,” Governance, Vol.137, pp. 22-25, 2012.
-  T. Hitomi, “The Refugee from the Nuclear Power Plant Disaster and the Temporary Town Plan in Fukushima,” Trends in the sciences, Vol.19, No.2, pp. 59-63, 2014.
-  A. Imai, “Multiple Citizenships to Think from Evacuation by the Nuclear Power Plant Disaster,” Trends in the sciences, Vol.20, No.4, pp. 18-24, 2015.
-  K. Itonaga, “Regret at Town Management in Iitate Village due to the Nuclear Accident and a way to restoration,” Nogyo to Keizai, Vol.78, No.4, pp. 133-140, 2012.
-  K. Kawasaki, “Problems and Issues of Decontamination and Revitalization Policies : After Three and a Half Years since the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant Accident,” City planning review, Vol.63, No.5, pp. 48-51, 2014.
-  K. Sugano, N. Matsumura, Y. Sekiya, R. Simoda, Y. Arai, R. Siraki, T. Abe, A. Okada, and S. Sato, “Recovery-Scenario Study for Namiemachi, Fukushima,” Vol.1, Summaries of technical papers of annual meeting, 2013, pp. 339-340, 2013.
-  Y. Miyagoshi, “Building an Alternative City for Evacuees from Nuclear Disasters : The Case of the Chernobyl Disaster,” International Public Policy Studies, Vol.19, No.2, pp. 81-96, 2015.
-  H. Fukunaga, “Nuclear Disaster and Evacuation Information, the Media : The Case of Fukushima Daiich Nuclear Power Plant Accident,” The NHK monthly report on broadcast research, Vol.61, No.9, pp. 2-17, 2011.
-  Y. Inoue, “The way of the report in the Great East Japan Earthquake and the nuclear plant accident (
The Future of the Journalism and Media),” Journal of Information Science and Technology Association, Vol.65, No.1, pp. 21-26, 2015.
-  T. Nomura, “The System of Nuclear Damage Compensation and Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Accident,” Monthly Jurist, 1427, pp. 118-124, 2011.
-  M. Yokemoto, “A Consideration of Nuclear Damage Compensation,” The Toshi Mondai, Vol.102, No.12, pp. 4-8, 2011.
-  M. Yokemoto, “Compensation for Fukushima Nuclear Accident,” The Toshi Mondai, Vol.106, No.8, pp. 9-13, 2015.
-  Nuclear Regulation Authority, Status of Nuclear Emergency Response Drill Implementation.
-  Fukushima Prefecture, Abstract of Fukushima Prefecture’s Nuclear Emergency Response Drill for fiscal 2007, 2007.
-  Fukushima Prefecture, Fukushima Prefecture’s Nuclear Emergency Response Drill Implementation Plan for fiscal 2010, 2010.
-  M. Kanno and R. Takagi, “Disaster response of Naraha Town in Great East Japan Earthquake (1) Toward a Community revitalization,” Research bulletin of Iwaki Meisei University. College of Humanities, Vol.10, pp. 36-51, 2012.
-  Tomioka Town, Memories and Records on the Great East Japan Earthquake / Nuclear Disasters, 2015.
-  Fukushima Prefecture, Fiscal 2014 Nuclear Emergency Response Drills in Fukushima Prefecture, 2014.
-  Fukushima Prefecture, Local Disaster Management Plan in Fukushima Prefecture: For Nuclear Emergency Response, 2015.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.