Roles of People, Community and Planning in Recovery After Mega-Disasters: A Symposium Synopsis
Kanako Iuchi and Elizabeth Maly
International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University
468-1, Aza Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba, Sendai, Miyagi 980-0845, Japan
-  CRED, “The Human Cost of Natural Disasters 2015: A global Perspective,” Brussels: CRED, 2015.
-  UNISDR, “Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030,” 2015.
-  G. Smith, “Involving Land Use Planners in Pre-Event Planning for Post-Disaster Recovery,” Jounal of the American Planning Associations, Vol.80, pp. 306-307, 2014.
-  K. Kim and R. B. Olshansky, “The theory and practice of building back better,” Journal of American Planning Association, Vol.80, pp. 289-292, 2014.
-  R. B. Olshansky and S. Chang, “Planning for disaster recovery:emerging research needs and challenges,” Progress in Planning, Vol.72, pp. 200-209, Nov., 2009.
-  A. C. Nelson and S. P. French, “Plan Quality and Mitigating Damage from Natural Disasters: A Case Study of the Northridge Earthquake with Planning Policy Considerations,” Journal of the American Planning Association, Vol.68, pp. 194-207, 2002.
-  R. J. Burby and S. P. French, “Coping With Floods: The Land Use Management Paradox,” Journal of the American Planning Associations, Vol.47, pp. 289-300, 1981.
-  R. Fella, J. Corominas, C. Bonnardc, L. Cascinid, E. Leroie, and W. Z. Savagef, “Guidelines for landslide susceptibility, hazard and risk zoning for land use planning,” Engineering Geology, Vol.102, pp. 85-98, 2008.
-  J. Forester, “The Deliberative Practitioner : Encouraging Participatory Planning Processes,” Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 1999.
-  J. E. Innes, “Planning through consensus building,” Journal of the American Planning Association, Vol.62, pp. 460-472, Autumn, 1996.
-  P. R. Berke, J. Kartez, and D. Wenger, “Recovery After Disaster – Achieving Sustainable Development, Mitigation and Equity,” Disasters, Vol.17, pp. 93-109, June, 1993.
-  P. Davidoff, “Advocacy and Pluralism in Planning,” Journal of American Institute of Planners, Vol.31, pp. 103-114, 1965.
-  L. Pyles, “Community organizing for post-disaster social development: Locating social work,” International Social Work, Vol.50, pp. 321-333, May, 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.