Object-Based Method for Estimating Tsunami-Induced Damage Using TerraSAR-X Data
Hideomi Gokon*, Shunichi Koshimura**, and Masashi Matsuoka***
*Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo
4-6-1-Be604, Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
**International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
***Graduate School of Science and Technology, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Yokohama, Japan
The object-based method we developed to estimate building damage uses high-resolution synthetic aperture radar (TerraSAR-X) data from the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami. The damage function we developed involves the relationship between changes in the sigma nought values of pre- and postevent TerraSAR-X data and the damage ratio of washed-away buildings. We confirmed that the function performed as expected by estimating the number of washed-away buildings in homogeneous areas, agreeing well with ground truth data verified by a Pearson fs correlation coefficient of 0.99. The same damage function applied at another test site yielded a Pearson’s correlation coefficient of 0.98. These results are sufficient to ensure transferability. We then simplified and semiautomated these processes in an ArcGIS environment, estimating building damage in the city of Sendai within 26 minutes.
-  The 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Joint Survey Group (TTJS), “Report from survey group,” http://www.coastal.jp/tsunami2011/ [referred on October 2013]
-  National Police Agency, “Report of the Damage Caused by the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami” (in Japanese), http://www.npa.go.jp/archive/keibi/biki/higaijokyo.pdf [referred on October 2013]
-  S. Koshimura, S. Hayashi, and H. Gokon, “Lessons from the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Disaster,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 549-560, 2013.
-  S. Koshimura, S. Hayashi, and H. Gokon, “The Impact of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Disaster and Implications to the Reconstruction,” Soils and Foundations, 2014.
-  F. Dell’Acqua and P. Gamba, “Remote Sensing and Earthquake Damage Assessment: Experiences, Limits, and Perspectives,” Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol.100, No.10, October 2012.
-  M. Matsuoka and F. Yamazaki, “Use of Satellite SAR Intensity Imagery for Detecting Building Areas Damaged due to Earthquakes,” Earthquake Spectra Vol.20, No.3, pp. 975-994, 2004.
-  M. Matsuoka and F. Yamazaki, “Building Damage Mapping of the 2003 Bam, Iran, Earthquake Using Envisat/ASAR Intensity Imagery,” Earthquake Spectra Vol.21, No.S1, S285-S294, 2005.
-  M. Matsuoka, S. Koshimura, and N. Nojima, “Estimation of Building Damage Ratio due to Earthquakes and Tsunamis Using Satellite SAR Imagery,” Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 2010 IEEE International, pp. 3347-3349, July 2010.
-  M. Matsuoka and M. Estrada, “Development of Earthquake-induced Building Damage Estimation Model Based on ALOS/PALSAR Observing the 2007 Peru Earthquake,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.8, No.2, pp.346-355, 2013.
-  D. Brunner, G. Lemoine, and L. Bruzzone, “Earthquake Damage Assessment of Buildings Using VHR Optical and SAR Imagery,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol.48, No.5, May 2010.
-  W. Liu, F. Yamazaki, H. Gokon, and S. Koshimura, “Extraction of Tsunami-flooded Areas and Damaged Buildings in the 2011 Tohoku-oki Earthquake from TerraSAR-X Intensity Images,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol.29, No.S1, pp. S183-S200, 2013.
-  W. Liu, F. Yamazaki, H. Gokon, and S. Koshimura, “Extraction of Damaged Buildings due to the 2011 Tohoku,” Japan Earthquake and Tsunami, Proceedings of Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), pp. 4038-4041, 2012.
-  S. Chen and M. Sato, “Tsunami Damage Investigation of Built-up Areas Using Multitemporal Spaceborne Full Polarimetric SAR Images,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol.51, No.4, April 2013.
-  M. Sato, S. Chen, and M. Satake, “Polarimetric SAR Analysis of Tsunami Damage Following the March 11, 2011 East Japan Earthquake,” Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol.100, No.10, October 2012.
-  M. Watanabe, T. Motohka, Y. Miyagi, C. Yonezawa, and M. Shimada, “Analysis of Urban Areas Affected by the 2011 Off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami with L-Band SAR Full-polarimetric Mode,” IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol.9, No.3, May 2012.
-  F. Yamazaki, Y. Iwasaki, W. Liu, T. Nonaka, and T. Sasagawa, “Detection of Damage to Building Side-walls in the 2011 Tohoku,” Japan Earthquake Using High-resolution TerraSAR-X Images, SPIE 8892, Image and Signal Processing for Remote Sensing XIX, 889212, 2013.
-  Geospatial Information Authority of Japan (GSI), “Information of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami,” 2011, http:// www.gsi.go.jp/BOUSAI/h23_tohoku.html [accessed April 1, 2011]
-  Tohoku University, “Building Damage Map for the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami,” 2011, http://www.tsunami. civil.tohoku.ac.jp/tohoku2011/mapping_damage.html [accessed July 1, 2015]
-  A. Lopes, R. Touzi, and E. Nezry, “Adaptive Speckle Filters and Scene Heterogeneity,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol.28, No.6, pp. 992-1000, 1990.
-  H. Gokon and S. Koshimura, “Mapping of Building Damage of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami in Miyagi Prefecture,” Coastal Engineering Journal, Vol.54, No.1, 2012.
-  T. Esch, T. Michael, S. Andreas, A. Roth, A. Müller, and S. Dech, “Delineation of Urban Footprints From TerraSAR-X Data by Analyzing Speckle Characteristics and Intensity Information,” IEEE Transactions on Geosciene and Remote Sensing, Vol.48, No.2, February 2010.