Monitoring of the Recovery Process of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant from VHR SAR Images
Wen Liu*, Fumio Yamazaki*, and Tadashi Sasagawa**
*Graduate School of Engineering, Chiba University
1-33 Yayoi-cho, Inageku, Chiba 263-8522, Japan
4-10-1 Nakano, Nakano-Ku, Tokyo 164-0001, Japan
-  Prime Minister of Japan and His Cabinet, “Report of Japanese Government to the IAEA Ministerial Conference on Nuclear Safety – The Accidentat TEPCO’s Fukushima Nuclear Power Stations –,” pp. IX-10, 2011, available at: http://japan.kantei.go.jp/kan/topics /201106 /iaeatextunderscore houkokushotextunderscore e.html [accessed Feb. 15, 2016]
-  K. Saito, R. J. S. Spence, C. Going, and M. Markus, “Using High-Resolution Satellite Images for Post-Earthquake Building Damage Assessment: A Study Following the 26 January 2001 Gujarat Earthquake,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol.20, No.1, pp. 145-169, 2004.
-  F. Yamazaki, Y. Yano, and M. Matsuoka, “Visual Damage Interpretation of Buildings in Bam City Using QuickBird Images Following the 2003 Bam, Iran, Earthquake,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol.21, No.S1, pp. 329-336, 2005.
-  X. Tong, Z. Hong, S. Liu, X. Zhang, H. Xie, Z. Liu, S. Yang, W. Wange, and F. Bao, “Building-damage detection using pre- and post-seismic high-resolution satellite stereo imagery: A case study of the May 2008 Wenchuan earthquake,” ISPRS J. Photogramm. Remote Sens., Vol.68, pp. 13-27, 2012.
-  G. Taskin, O. K. Ersoy, and M. E.Kamasak, “Earthquake-induced damage classification from postearthquake satellite image using spectral and spatial features with support vector selection and adaptation,” J. Appl. Remote Sens., Vol.9, No.1, pp. 096017, 2015.
-  S. Plank, “Rapid damage assessment by means of multi-temporal SAR – A comprehensive review and outlook to Sentinel-1,” Int. J. Remote Sens., Vol.6, pp. 4870-4906, 2014.
-  M. Matsuoka and M. Estrada, “Development of earthquake-induced building damage estimation model based on ALOS/PALSAR observing the 2007 Peru earthquake,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 346-355, 2013.
-  W. Liu, F. Yamazaki, B. Adriao, E. Mas, and S. Koshimura, “Development of building height data in Peru from high-resolution SAR imagery,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.9, No.6, pp. 1042-1049, 2014.
-  W. Liu, F. Yamazaki, H. Gokon, and S. Koshimura, “Extraction of Tsunami Flooded Areas and Damaged Buildings in the 2011 Tohoku-oki, Japan Earthquake from TerraSAR-X Intensity Images,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol.29, No.S1, pp. S183-2000, 2013.
-  D. Brunner, G. Lemoine, and L. Bruzzone, “Earthquake damage assessment of buildings using VHR optical and SAR imagery,” IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol.48, No.5, pp. 2403-2420, 2010.
-  T. L. Wang and Y. Q. Jin, “Postearthquake building damage assessment using multi-mutual information from pre-event optical image and postevent SAR image,” IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol.9, No.3, pp. 452-456, 2012.
-  Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), http://www.tepco.co.jp /nu/fukushima-np/f1/genkyo/index-j.html [accessed Feb. 15, 2016]
-  R. Welch and W. Ehlers, “Merging Multiresolution SPOT HRV and Landsat TM Data,” Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, Vol.53, No.3, pp. 301-303, 1987.
-  Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt (DLR), http://www.dlr. de/hr/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-2317/3669textunderscore read-5488/ [accessed Feb. 15, 2016] A. Lopes, R. Touzi, and E. Nezry, “Adaptive Speckle Filters and Scene Heterogeneity,” IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol.28, No.6, pp. 992-1000, 1990.
-  Y. Fuji-ie, “A Message 15 Days After the 3.11 Earthquake on the Nuclear Accident at Fukushima #1 NPS,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.7, No.sp, pp. 426-431, 2012.
-  Geospatial Information Authority of Japan (GSI), http://saigai.gsi. go.jp /h23taiheiyo-hr/index.html [accessed Feb. 15, 2016]
-  Y. Iwasaki, F. Yamazaki, W. Liu, T. Nonaka, and T. Sasagawa, “Detection of damage to building side-walls using high resoltuion satellite SAR images,” Journal of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.13, No.5, pp. 18-32, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  F. Yamazaki, Y. Iwasaki, W. Liu, T. Nonaka, and T. Sasagawa, “Detection of damage to building side-walls in the 2011 Tohoku, Japan earthquake using high-resolution TerraSAR-X images,” Proc. of SPIE, Vol.8892, 889212 1-9, 2013.
-  F. Yamazaki and W. Liu, “Urban Change Monitoring: Multi-temporal SAR Images,” Encyclopedia of Earthquake Engineering, Springer, 2014.
-  B. Adriano, E. Mas, S. Koshimura, H. Gokon, W. Liu, and M. Matsuoka, “Developing a method for urban damage mapping using radar signtures of building footprint in SAR imagery: A case study after the 2013 super typhoon Haiyan,” Proc. IEEE IGARSS 2015, pp. 3579-3582, 2015.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.